Author Topic: Hi all, NGD  (Read 1790 times)

All Together

Hi all, NGD
« on: December 01, 2015, 05:31:16 PM »
Long time lurker, new time poster!

I've enjoyed playing Taylors for several years now, many of my friends own them, but none of them quite seemed to be "right" enough for me to want to purchase them myself. I had been considering one of the new 900 series, but felt like for the price I needed to have something with exotic woods.

Well, long story short (although that's pretty much the whole story)...

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
Re: Hi all, NGD
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 06:03:28 PM »
Welcome!  The few R Taylor guitars that I have played have been very nice.  Sinker redwood?  Cocobolo back & sides?
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 12:13:36 AM »
 Hi All Together. Welcome to the UTGF. What a beautiful guitar. I think you nailed it. Enjoy. :)
Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"

George

• Veteran Member
  • I'll have a large one, thanks...
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 06:19:59 AM »
Welcome to the forum. That's a really lovely guitar you have there...

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 08:58:05 AM »
Welcome! You sure got yourself a real looker there and from what I've heard, a great player. As Earl asked, what are the woods?
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

All Together

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 05:54:01 PM »
Thanks guys! Here's the thing... When I purchased it from the dealer, they said it was Cocobolo. When I received it, I could tell the headplate was Madagascan, so I thought it was interesting that a Cocobolo guitar would have a Madagascan headplate. Then I opened the case pocket and find this:

I wouldn't have purchased the guitar if I knew it was Madagascan, due to the ethical issues surrounding it, but I don't really want to have to go through the trouble of returning it as I already had the dealer do a setup and install a pickup.

In terms of how I feel about getting Madagascar instead of Cocobolo from a tonal expectations standpoint, well, if someone asked me about that, I'd reply: "..." Then suddenly realize I actually have no idea what the tonal differences are! Does anyone know?

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 06:01:15 PM »
Welcome to the forum All Together,  Some of the differences are the same as between Rosewood and Cocobolo.  Madagascar has more of a mid range dip, with more bass range than Cocobolo.  The Madagascar is a rosewood and it acts more like Brazilian Rosewood.  I bet it sounds terrific with that sinker top.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.