Author Topic: 2011 414 CE w/ES Issue?  (Read 3610 times)

fdesalvo

2011 414 CE w/ES Issue?
« on: December 29, 2011, 01:13:32 PM »
*Updated below*

Hi, guys - first post here and my thanks to the Admin for approving my registration ;D

I just received a 2011 414CE/ES and noticed there is no difference in tone when toggling the sensor switch.  Has anyone encountered this?  Many thanks and happy pickin'!

Best,

Frank

Edit: This response just came in from Sweetwater - and let me say, I love their customer service.

"Frank,

Hello, this is Marty from Sweetwater's Guitar Repair Department.

The difference when using the switch is pretty subtle.  It can be heard if you use headphones.
I've found that you have to actually touch the sensor to find out  if it's working or not.
The sensor is located on the inside top and just to the bass side of the bridge.  If you have your
headphones on and touch the sensor, you can tell right away that it's working.  Then flip the
switch to see if it makes any difference.

It's possible that the sensor is defective, but the ES is designed that if one component of the system
doesn't work, then nothing will work with no output.

Here's a list of Taylor's Authorized Repair Centers in CA if you wish to take it in.

http://www.taylorguitars.com/dealers/Repair-Centers/
Otherwise, I would be happy to bring it back here to double-check it's all working properly.
Just let me know and I'll be happy to help."
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 01:20:56 PM by fdesalvo »

cjd-player

• Veteran Member
  • Near Pittsburgh, PA
Re: 2011 414 CE w/ES Issue?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 01:16:23 PM »
What are you plugged in to?
Carl
2010 BTO GC, Redwood on EI Rosewood
2010 312ce, kept in DADGAD
2006 814ce LTD, Sitka on Mad Rosewood
2013 Composite Acoustics OX-Raw

fdesalvo

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 01:23:41 PM »
Connected via two different MAC work stations - one using M-Box and the other using Duet II interfaces.  Observed over cans and monitors.  Thanks for the quick reply.

What are you plugged in to?

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 01:41:33 PM »
Sweetwater is great: superb sales staff that follow up on filled orders as well as excellent customer service.  I've had nothing but excellent experience with them over the years.

I've had three different ES' do wonky things before and I will confirm what that the system pickups are wired in series: any one sensor goes bad and you get absolutely no sound.  Whether through headphones or an amp that is turned up loud, you can hear the body sensor by tapping on the guitar top right where the sensor is mounted.  Switch the sensor off and on and you will notice your finger taps are amplified when "on."

Edward

fdesalvo

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 01:44:49 PM »
^ Thanks, brothah

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 07:45:49 PM »
You're very welcome!  Your ES is prob just fine, but tell us what ya find.

BTW, where in Cali are you?  I'm in SoCal so if you need work on your Taylors in the LA area, I can tell you where to go.  :)

Edward

dangrunloh

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 10:50:41 PM »
To my ears the body sensor adds only very high sparkly frequencies and I don't hear much if the amp tone is set toward the lower range.  Hardly needed with a pick, mostly for fingerstyle?

fdesalvo

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 11:02:47 AM »
Kick ass, Ed!

I've been having great experiences with Guitar Remedy :).  I just moved to Irvine from WeHO.  Whereabouts are you?

You're very welcome!  Your ES is prob just fine, but tell us what ya find.

BTW, where in Cali are you?  I'm in SoCal so if you need work on your Taylors in the LA area, I can tell you where to go.  :)

Edward

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 05:09:02 PM »
Hey Frank,

I'm in Santa Clarita, minutes from SixFlags Magin Mountain.  But I spent the better part of my upbringing in Hollyweired, er, Hollywood, and still get down there lots as my parents still live there.  If you've got a good guit shop that you already have a relationship with, then that's awesome.  Talk to ya, man! :)

Edward

fdesalvo

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 05:23:42 PM »
Nice, brotha!  I'm always taking recommendations for good shops.  Who ya got?

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2011, 05:59:31 PM »
Eric's Guitars in the Northridge area is very good.  I would not hesitate to recommend him a bit: good guy, honest, solid work.  But my first go-to is always Norik Renson of Renson Guitars in Studio City.  This guy reads like a who's-who tech of all as he has worked on serious players' guitars.  But that's just his skills.  What makes him my first go-to guy is he's a humble, quiet guy who simply knows what to do, does it for you, and treats you like one of his rock-star clients ...I'm a simple hack and I always get his undivided attention and customer care.  I cannot say this of every shop I've been in, (and will NOT say this of one certain high-notoriety shop in Santa Monica whose name is one of the biggest, and I can say nothing good about him).  Oh, and of course, both Eric and Norik are authorized Taylor techs so will do warranty work w/o a blink.

Edward
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 06:02:52 PM by Edward »

fdesalvo

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2011, 06:23:53 PM »
Ha, I know the shop in SM you are referring to!