Author Topic: the 516CE, pictures added  (Read 10323 times)

darylcrisp

the 516CE, pictures added
« on: December 12, 2011, 09:48:11 PM »
my original post from a few weeks back:

<so i'm a 12 fret nut and love small bodies(GA would be my max body size i prefer).
last week i walked by a 516CE and it turned my head. the cedar top is darker than usual and not "poundcake" in appearance(it has some streaking). I knew it was a GS, a foreign guitar size for me(i had a GS8 years ago when they first came out but never bonded-went to a GC7 after that and never returned).
staring at the 516, something beckoned my call. i pulled it off the hook and sat down. immediately was impressed and it felt real good. no, it felt really really good. only had about 3 minutes, but i intend to go back wednesday as i'll be travelling and going by the shop(in asheville).
so you folks out there with one of these, what type of music do you play on it and how much do you like it?
i'm thinking it might be a pretty awesome overall fingerstyle guit for dropped tunings-if the size fits.
i intend to take about an hour this wed to find out-it might follow me home............................
tell me your thoughts about yours and why you purchased the 516 vs something else.
thanks>
d

12-22-11: so here are some pictures of the lovely 516(indepth review to follow in a few weeks)
take note of the deep grain and color of mahogany, the beautiful rosewood binding(body and fretboard), the excellent cut/spaced nut, the deep flavor of the cedar top(stock tortise pickguard being reinstalled tonite-i removed the original and there is a definite tan line that i'm sure will never leave-i actually debated on removal of the pickguard as it really fit the whole package nicely-even though i don't need one, it brings a traditional character to this guitar that i like)
my current short lived review is:  this is an elegant, very very easy to play guitar that sounds deep, articulate, and pleasing in all tunings i have subjected it to. I play seated and the size is wonderful. for my style playing and aesthetic desire, this is the nicest Taylor i have owned, and is probably going to be the most desired guitar i've ever owned-thats my current thought.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 05:01:40 PM by darylcrisp »

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: ? about the 516CE, have been bitten by one
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 01:43:19 AM »
I could never find a 516 to begin with.  Knowing the 514 very well, I always figured the 516 would be a shoe-in.  Well last Saturday I was at the mothership and actually got to spend serious quality time with a bunch of 514s and several 516s.  It did, in fact, fulfill my expectations: what I liked about the 514, but just "more" of the good stuff.

Keep in mind I am not an all-GS devotee ...don't like the GS8, personally, for example.  But in maple, and certainly mahog/cedar, it's a serious winner.  Oh, and I am a predominantly strummer/picker ...maybe only a 5% bare-fingers guy.  And I love what cedar brings in the first place: the larger GS body just accentuates that midrange presence and warmth.  I would have brought it home were it not for other concerns:like the killer maple quilt that was haunting me :D

Edward

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 08:34:09 AM »
I have the 2010 Fall LTD 516ce.  Spruce top and koa back and sides.  I love it, the only thing is I think the body size in big for me.  When I play for awhile my right arm hurts so I find myself resting my left leg on a stool or even putting the guitar there classical style - or maybe I need to practice more.....

I play mostly fiddle tunes and some strumming, haven't gotten to fingerstyle yet except for some noodling around from time to time.

Did I mention that I really love this guitar?

Guitar Rodeo

• World's largest independent Taylor Guitar dealer
    • Guitar Rodeo Company
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 12:04:57 PM »
I have been playing finger style stuff on the 516ce lately in open D tuning (no, not DADGAD, DADGF#D) and it sings. Warm, rich and a virtual sonic wave. The whole "5" family are highly underrated guitars. I am a mahogany lover and am not afraid to admit it.
Jim Tordoff
Guitar Rodeo Company
Specializing in Taylor, Santa Cruz, Carmel, Morris, Huss & Dalton and Breedlove Guitars
http://www.guitarrodeo.com
877 487-6336

Iplay2

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 02:33:31 PM »
I will always give a thumbs up for a cedar top. I love the way they warm up the tone, plus they smell good.

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 03:05:49 PM »
hey d,

i was wondering if shop you were going to is Musician's Workshop -
i went there for a RoadShow (nice shop & great staff) &
our group was the second to see the Solid Body electric

i had a GS-MC & for me, that particular model just didn't have 'it' -
there is an exceptional GS-RC i've seen/played at a local shop,
about 30 minutes of so outside of charlotte & i picked up an
absolutely amazing 08 714ceLTD (cedar/koa) some time back

i am wondering if the top that the 516ce you tried has a good bit to do with its tone -
the top on the 714ceLTD i had was relatively wide grained (quite unusual for cedar) &
the depth, warmth & richness of tone & its responsiveness made it follow me home

i've seen pics of cedar tops on other guitars that were darker with some 'sinker-like' streaks &
i couldn't help but wonder if that could also have an audible effect on the tone (density)

i think that with if the 516ce 'speaks to you', then you would be able to play pretty much any & all styles with it,
with the responsive of the cedar top & full, warm mids of mahogany, plus the 'uumph' of mediums from the factory,
i don't imagine there would be very much you couldn't do with it (fingerstyle, dropped-tuning, strumming, etc)

sounds like a pretty special guitar, as it is on the 'other end of the spectrum' & it has caught your attention

give it a whirl & let us know how it turns out ... have fun :)

edited to remove 'hot-linked' pics
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 02:23:45 PM by michaelw »
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

darylcrisp

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 05:43:33 PM »
hey d,

i was wondering if shop you were going to is Musician's Workshop -
i went there for a RoadShow (nice shop & great staff) &
our group was the second to see the Solid Body electric

i had a GS-MC & for me, that particular model just didn't have 'it' -
there is an exceptional GS-RC i've seen/played at a local shop,
about 30 minutes of so outside of charlotte & i picked up an
absolutely amazing 08 714ceLTD (cedar/koa) some time back

i am wondering if the top that the 516ce you tried has a good bit to do with its tone -
the top on the 714ceLTD i had was relatively wide grained (quite unusual for cedar) &
the depth, warmth & richness of tone & its responsiveness made it follow me home

i've seen pics of cedar tops on other guitars that were darker with some 'sinker-like' streaks &
i couldn't help but wonder if that could also have an audible effect on the tone (density)

i think that with if the 516ce 'speaks to you', then you would be able to play pretty much any & all styles with it,
with the responsive of the cedar top & full, warm mids of mahogany, plus the 'uumph' of mediums from the factory,
i don't imagine there would be very much you couldn't do with it (fingerstyle, dropped-tuning, strumming, etc)

sounds like a pretty special guitar, as it is on the 'other end of the spectrum' & it has caught your attention

give it a whirl & let us know how it turns out ... have fun :)

M
Yes, it is indeed Musicians Workshop. In the past i've purchased 2 taylors from them and i really enjoy visiting that place. its a smallish hometown shop and the husband/wife owners really try to give excellent customer service.
i called them today and they are holding it for me-can't wait until tomorrow to check it out more. they offer the GE program with 12 month financing-thats the only way i would do this at this time-i've used the GE program about 5 times now and it works great for me-i can take my time and pay it off a month or two early.

i also noticed some "excellent" prices they had on a spring limited GC cedar/mac ebony, and one of the GC all mahogany ltd's. they also had a very nice burst 514ce i intend to play and compare to the 516.

and as you mentioned, the top on this one is dark and streaked-that caught my attention immediately-thinking it might be sinker. some cedar top taylors i've played in the past just didn't do it for me-tomorrow will tell on this one.

will report back fully
d

michaelw

• Veteran Member
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 06:00:15 PM »
nice :D

i'm glad that the GE program has worked well for you -
also, paying it off a month or two early is a great idea, as i've heard some stories from others that
they paid theirs off on the due date & let's just say there were some issues with the 'fine print'

i really like the way the shop is run - very neat & organized & very friendly, helpful staff
they had a braz PS14ce Cindy there when i attended the Road Show many moons ago

just wondering if the burst 514ce has a cedar top on it - they look great on the SCCSM

looking forward to the follow-up report

thanks, d :)

support indie musicians

darylcrisp

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 06:18:01 PM »
the 514 does have cedar-and a real nice burst-can't remember if its an amber or what, but its very eyecatching-taylor IMO is improving on the burst patterns.

i think i'll take a camera and grab some photos and post here for the folks, they have some real nice looking and playing taylors. and the price made my eyes go a little wide-in a good way.

i played the GC cedar/mac ebony and it was very nice-but i'm looking at the big gun with what i have in mind for its purpose.

d

michaelw

• Veteran Member
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 01:24:08 AM »
the 514 does have cedar-and a real nice burst-can't remember if its an amber or what, but its very eyecatching-taylor IMO is improving on the burst patterns.

i think i'll take a camera and grab some photos and post here for the folks, they have some real nice looking and playing taylors. and the price made my eyes go a little wide-in a good way.
that'd be teriffic :) thanks :D
i played the GC cedar/mac ebony and it was very nice-but i'm looking at the big gun with what i have in mind for its purpose.

d
oh boy ... go git 'em, d  ;D

support indie musicians

resonator48

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 11:02:10 PM »
Where is Musicians Workshop located? Can you give me a contact name and number? I'm in the process of looking for a new Taylor and I have a NAMM GE Money account. I love using same as cash because it allows me to take the time to sell the guitar I'm replacing without the pressure to sell it quickly.

Thanks, Res

michaelw

• Veteran Member
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 11:09:20 PM »
here's a link to their site
http://www.musiciansworkshop.com/mwindex.html
as much as i hate to say it, i cannot remember any names -
it's been over 4 years since i've stopped in there ...

maybe you could call them & just say 'Daryl sent me' :)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 06:57:32 PM by michaelw »

support indie musicians

darylcrisp

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 04:41:21 AM »
Where is Musicians Workshop located? Can you give me a contact name and number? I'm in the process of looking for a new Taylor and I have a NAMM GE Money account. I love using same as cash because it allows me to take the time to sell the guitar I'm replacing without the pressure to sell it quickly.

Thanks, Res

Hi Res

First, i stand corrected. They do not use the GE Namm program-my error-BUT! they have their own 12 month 0 interest plan thru another card. its easy to process and doesn't take long as i did it today. There was 2 LTD's last week-both GC size(all mahogany and the cedar/mac ebony), both of those sold the last couple days. they do have a very nice 514ce with an amber burst that is very well done. the guitar plays and sounds fine as well. there was a standard nonburst 814ce and a 414ce-both nice in sound and very good setup.

they did have a 516 but it was sold today ;), more on that later.

i will say they are having an instore sale for the holidays and the prices are nice..............very.

its a husband/wife owned and i think they've been in asheville for 44 years with the store. real nice folks(frank and beckie). shane is the store manager and is fine to talk with as well.

feel free to drop my name, i've purchased 3 taylors from them over the years.

d

michaelw

• Veteran Member
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2011, 09:41:16 PM »
... they did have a 516 but it was sold today ;), more on that later.
hey d,

i was just wondering is it 'later', now ???

i'm assuming congratulations are in order, but
that will probably have to wait until ... later ;)

seriously, congrats on the new guitar :)

play on :D

support indie musicians

michaelw

• Veteran Member
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 07:43:19 PM »
don't mind me ... just waiting for an undate ;)

support indie musicians