Author Topic: what's Taylor's "holy grail"?  (Read 11465 times)

Nicky Midss

• celebrate we will...
what's Taylor's "holy grail"?
« on: October 03, 2015, 12:09:09 AM »
Martin has the golden age d-45 as its holy grail of guitars.

What model/era Taylor would be considered that?
-Nick

1998 914c - Engelmann/Rosewood

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
Re: what's Taylor's "holy grail"?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 10:37:37 AM »
This is a good question, but I imagine you'll get as many different answers as there are forum members -- especially if we're going to throw tone into the equation, which is such a subjective matter...

To me, for something to be considered a "holy grail" it would have to be unique, desirable (collectible) for one or more reasons, and rather difficult to obtain due to limited numbers produced.  Given that premise, and the relatively limited time in which Taylor has been producing guitars (compared to Martin), I'll put forth the Liberty Tree T5.  There were only 50 made (in fact, it's considered Taylor's second "Builder's Reserve" guitar); each one is unique in that they were numbered and named for each of the 50 states, in the order in which that state entered the Union; they all got scooped up immediately; and they just don't come up for sale very often -- and never at anything resembling a reasonable price... :o

I would venture a guess that the first thirteen (Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Georgia, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maryland, South Carolina, New Hampshire, Virginia, New York, North Carolina, and Rhode Island) are the most desirable units in the series; and given the source of the wood used in these guitars (the last-surviving Liberty Tree that was in Annapolis, MD), #7 (Maryland) is probably the most desirable among those...

But which is considered the best-sounding Taylor...?  Whew!  Good luck getting a consensus on that question...!  We all can't seem to agree whether the the recent bracing changes were good or bad... ;)  I'd generally say any Taylor made with Brazilian Rosewood; but not even all of us agree on that premise...
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

MDS08

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 04:03:15 PM »
2010 910 with the Cindy inlays because that what I have. Seriously though I think something from Lemon Grove.
2010 910
2013 D18

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 04:37:25 PM »
I've played a lot a Taylors over the years, and am very fortunate to have whittled it down to two that really do it all for me.  So this is not a question that is easily answered, to say the least.

Even with Martin, one has many eras, as well as hallmark models, to consider.  Then there's the current-production Authentic line that is supposed to be the modern Martin "holy grail."  So even with this time-honored breed, the question is impossible to narrow to one.

So I'll answer the OP this way: the "ultimate" Taylor out there is any R.Taylor. 
It's still a "Taylor" through and through, but not a production-line guitar.  But it's all Taylor in ethic, craftsmanship, and innovation ...with lots of true luthier man hours poured into hand-tuning and hand-crafting the best-sounding instrument they can.  Yup, I've played lots of wonderful Taylors (and quite a few that were just "meh") over the years.  But there's not been a single RT I've ever had in my hands that has ever failed to impress.

Edward

azslacker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 05:27:27 PM »
Edward's got the best answer, most likely. BTW, there is a good looking Style 2 on Craigslist Scottsdale, Az. Hog/Cedar, and slotted headstock.
2016 322e 12 Fret
2011 312ce
2012 GS-Mini hog 
1983 Washburn D 12S
Yamaha Classical
Ukulele's out the ying yang.
2014 Larivée PO-3 Koa

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2015, 06:45:18 PM »
Really in the eye (and ear) of the beholder, but many have opined that Taylor's golden age was in the mid to late nineties, as many suggest that Martin's golden age was in the 1930s. I think that the mid to late nineties was the period where Taylor solidified its now iconic personality that we've come to know and love. So if I had to pick a holy grail standard model, it would be the 914 with its Engelmann top and Cindy adornments. Very pretty guitars with an unforgettable tone. Just my opinion...
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2015, 09:14:29 PM »
Edward's got the best answer, most likely...

Yeah, I'd forgotten about the R. Taylor line.  Those guitars are probably the pinnacle of Taylors.  I've personally only come across one.
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

jalbert

• I should be practicing
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2015, 09:23:15 AM »
But there's not been a single RT I've ever had in my hands that has ever failed to impress.

Then you haven't played enough of them! I really, really wanted to like an Adirondack/mahogany Style 3, but it was unremarkable. But I digress.

The Grand Auditorium shape is distinctly Taylor (20 years old now), and the Presentation Series is their ultimate production model, so a PS-14 by that reasoning would be the "Holy Grail" of Taylors.
James

'07 GA8-12
'19 Academy 12e-N

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2015, 07:21:20 PM »
I fully realize that there may be those RTs out there that won't float my boat ...anything is possible.  I just haven't found that stinker yet.  But heck, there were/are quite a number of Taylors that didn't/don't impress me (and that's being kind as some had/have truly make me scratch my head).

This is no disparagement whatsoever to the marque I love and have deep respect and admiration for; I am an unabashed Taylor guy.  But I've learned to be very objective as I proceed on this walk.  And I'm also not tonedeaf :D

So the numbers and experience speak to me: Taylor offers very good odds of "yes, that'll work just fine."  While RT has, thus far, proven to be quite the homerun hitter.  And, of course, all the above IMHO. :)

Edward

etzeppy

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 10:11:54 AM »
I don't know if it's their best guitar, but I would think that the 814ce is considered the Taylor "flagship".

boomklever

• My Personal Home Page
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 02:46:01 PM »
I have a '99 Taylor 910 which I bought (new) because I found a Martin D-45 too expensive for me.

After all these years the top has aged in an almost gold colour, very special. The abalone is superb (canmot be compared with what I see these days), the binding details are soo nice (wood+red line). And the guitar still has the prefect action. Soundwise it has improved greatly as well.

There aren't many things that I don't like about my 910. Maybe the Rosewood headstock overlay (would have preferred ebony).

It is a guitar that has never let me down in any respect. Maybe the Presentation series would be an alternative, but I find the older 900 series a bit more stylish.
1999 910
2001 K12
2015 GS Mini e-RW

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2015, 03:33:30 PM »
Maybe the Presentation series would be an alternative, but I find the older 900 series a bit more stylish.

Couldn't agree more.  The 90s 900s rock!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

Christhee68

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2015, 11:11:54 AM »
I think I read in Wood & Steel that Bob Taylor said the difference between Martin and Taylor is that Martin's best guitars were made 70-80 years ago while Taylors keep getting better every year.

That being said, I would love to have a new Martin to go along with my 314ce.  After visiting the factory this summer, I have to say the Factory Delivery program seems pretty cool to me.
2013 Taylor 314ce
2015 Martin D-18
1982 Martin HD-28
2004 Fender Telecaster
2010 Martin X-Series
Mid 80's Sigma DM-3

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2015, 09:23:47 PM »
I think I read in Wood & Steel that Bob Taylor said the difference between Martin and Taylor is that Martin's best guitars were made 70-80 years ago while Taylors keep getting better every year.
I love it!
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Sedated

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2015, 10:38:55 PM »
Who decided that Martin's GE D-45 was the "holy grail"? Frankly, I would think a 1939 D-45 would fit that bill.

I was at a dealer once while the Taylor rep was there. He and the dealer were talking about Taylor's company plane. The rep said that they wanted the tail number "814CE", but it was taken, so they went with "914CE".

Given that Taylor wanted "814CE", for me, that would suggest that Taylor believes the 814CE is the most important guitar they've made, so I would say the 814CE.