Author Topic: Aloha from Captain Cook, HI  (Read 3238 times)

MrHarryReems

• The Kilt Lifters
Aloha from Captain Cook, HI
« on: June 12, 2015, 04:31:01 PM »
Aloha!

I'm a musician living in Captain Cook, HI.  I am part of a Celtic duo here on the island called The Kilt Lifters that I play guitar, flute, and sing in.  My #1 acoustic is a Taylor 814ce, however, I tend to gig more with my Larrivee LV03E due to issues with the Taylor ES system.

I am looking forward to being a productive member of this fine community.

Aloha!

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
Re: Aloha from Captain Cook, HI
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 05:17:06 PM »
Welcome to our forum....hope to hear from you in our discussions.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 05:21:08 PM »
Start seeking out slack key (ki ho'alu in Hawaiian).  Originally a backup for hula dancers, it has morphed into a fingerstyle instrumental style played in open tunings, most commonly Taro Patch (open G).  Since you mentioned Captain Cook (Kealakekua) I assume you are on the Big Island.  Keep an eye out for Sonny Lim, John Keawe and several others.  Also great snorkeling and scuba diving in the bay near the Captain Cook monument.  Aloha and enjoy!
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

MrHarryReems

• The Kilt Lifters
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 07:12:06 PM »
Start seeking out slack key (ki ho'alu in Hawaiian).  Originally a backup for hula dancers, it has morphed into a fingerstyle instrumental style played in open tunings, most commonly Taro Patch (open G).  Since you mentioned Captain Cook (Kealakekua) I assume you are on the Big Island.  Keep an eye out for Sonny Lim, John Keawe and several others.  Also great snorkeling and scuba diving in the bay near the Captain Cook monument.  Aloha and enjoy!

I actually live in Kealakekua bay, and I can see the monument from my house!  There is indeed great snorkeling here.  I've met John Keawe, LT Smooth, Henry Kapono, and a few others.  Slack key isn't for me, though.  I don't care to play alternate tunings.
Aloha!

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 12:39:55 AM »
 Hi Harry. Welcome to the UTGF. Cool screen name. 8) ;)
Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 12:24:33 PM »
Slack key isn't for me, though.  I don't care to play alternate tunings.

I avoided alternate tunings for many years myself, but then I ran across a tune I just HAD to learn.  It was in open G.  Later I discovered slack-key and fell in love with it, and was more receptive to the idea of new tunings.  Changing from tuning to tuning gets much easier with practice.  I can go from standard to Open G by ear in less than 30 seconds now, generally without electronic aid. 

Now I play in six different tunings plus the weirdest of them all - "standard" - and many of my songs require only changing one or two strings.  That influences the set order to minimize retuning on stage, but the songs are quite different in character so it works fine.  I even have some guitars that I keep tuned in D-D, standard minus one note.  I also had a class once where the teacher (Peter Case) played only in open G for all his songs.  He showed us how you can play "Yesterday" with only barres and one simple chord shape in open G.  That sort of thing can make a believer out of you.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 12:26:53 PM by Earl »
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

MrHarryReems

• The Kilt Lifters
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 02:01:44 PM »
Slack key isn't for me, though.  I don't care to play alternate tunings.

I avoided alternate tunings for many years myself, but then I ran across a tune I just HAD to learn.  It was in open G.  Later I discovered slack-key and fell in love with it, and was more receptive to the idea of new tunings.  Changing from tuning to tuning gets much easier with practice.  I can go from standard to Open G by ear in less than 30 seconds now, generally without electronic aid. 

Now I play in six different tunings plus the weirdest of them all - "standard" - and many of my songs require only changing one or two strings.  That influences the set order to minimize retuning on stage, but the songs are quite different in character so it works fine.  I even have some guitars that I keep tuned in D-D, standard minus one note.  I also had a class once where the teacher (Peter Case) played only in open G for all his songs.  He showed us how you can play "Yesterday" with only barres and one simple chord shape in open G.  That sort of thing can make a believer out of you.

I totally realize that there are some powerful options available with alternate tunings, but I've spent years learning the notes and intervals on the guitar, and when you change that up, it's a new instrument.  Also, sight reading no longer works because the notes have all moved around.
Aloha!

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2015, 10:05:44 PM »
Well I know I am little late, but welcome to the forum.  I love to listen, play Celtic music.  So who would have thunk to go to the big island to get some good Irish tunes live.
Thats cool, so when I head back over there I will find out your schedule and hope to catch a performance.   I have always wanted to visit Volcanoes National Park.  So, do you get the big waves  or the best beaches on your side of the Island?  I use to know how to play 30 or so good Irish, Scottish tunes although now if I wanted to bust out a gig I would definitely need to do some practice. Cheers and A hui hou
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 10:16:32 PM by mgap »
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.