Poll

Did you replace your saddle?

I replaced my saddle with bone and I am happy
I replaced my saddle with ivory or wahi or fwi and I am happy
I tried replacing but went back to Tsuq
I replaced it but heard no difference
Why try to fix that aint broke? I kept Tsuq and never attempted to change it

Author Topic: Did you replace your saddle on your guitar or keep the original Tsuq?  (Read 5845 times)

jyledh

I just finished sanding my west african hard ivory saddle for over an hour and finally got it to fit on my Taylor 814

Installed it with my new bone bridge pins

I noticed two things immediately. More resonant and Enhanced highs

To be honest, I don't like the enhanced highs. Hoping I am just not used to it.

If I still don't like it after 2 weeks, going to order a bone saddle to see if bone will come with less highs but still more resonant sound

I am hoping if I order from Taylor, I don't have to go through this sanding nightmare lol

I am curious about other members experience

Happy playing!

Stringband Eric

• My website
I've replaced the saddle on both my Taylor guitars.  Bone on the 150e and an ivory saddle from Bob Colosi on the 320.  Felt the extra highs would help on a mahogany topped guitar.  Satisfied with the results on both guitars.  Although I will admit some of the satisfaction is from the better compensation on the current saddles over the Tusq. 

Also, it should be noted that I'm a person who tinkers with guitars.  No matter how nice, usually have to swap out something.
Eric P.
2018 Taylor GS Mini Koa
1997 Taylor 420-R
2013 Gibson J-35

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
I've done both. I think that it depends on the individual guitar and the particular organic specimen.  I have heard a harsh, brittle tone when swapping to bone at times, causing me to revert to the synthetic material. You can always go back to Tusq or Micarta, so try the bone from Taylor (all my bone saddles were from Taylor ) and see what you think. ..
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

werkout52

Replaced my 654 with ivory saddle, and my 514 with WAHI nut and saddle. Very happy with results.
1974 Aria
2011 Eastman E20om
2013 Taylor 514e FLTD
2015 Martin D28 Authentic 1937

Gutch

• Veteran Member
    • www.davegutshall.com
Depends on the guitar.  I have a 2002 814c (Coco/Sitka) that sounds better with Tusq.  However, the saddles on most of my others have been replaced with bone and the tone has improved.  Most marked improvement was on a K65ce -- Made already great guitar sound incredible.  I call it "Giggle Tone" -- every time I strum it, the voice is so incredible it makes me giggle with glee...   :D
‎"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything."
-- Plato

TaylorMate

• Bard since the Sixties
    • Blogboek
Replaced a tusq saddle on my 812 for bone. Never want to go back!
If you dig it, do it; if you dig it a lot, do it twice (Jim Croce)

Lyrics and music: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6gaSzHsXOYq-j_eQH6IwsW_K0S3CHfbk

JuanValdez

On my M522, I first swapped for a Taylor bone saddle. Sadly. It was not tall enough... and no, I hadn't sanded it down but I did have to thin it a tad). I didn't notice any difference in tone quality. Admittedly, I've only had it a couple of months but it certainly didn't get worse. Next, I had Bob Colosi fashion one from West African ivory and it seems a bit brighter and perhaps louder now. But it's very subtle at best. I'll have to pop the Tusq saddle back in and see. It'll have to wait for the next string change though. I loved it before and that hasn't changed in the least
JV

nopicknick

I usually install the Taylor wave saddle with better results than stock. Not so much tone just a tad better intonation.
Taylor GSmini Koa
Taylor GSmini daughter's
Taylor GSmini hog other daughter's

jjthenovice

I put a Taylor Bone saddle in my 522ce. I liked the results.  It has better sustain IMHO.
Taylor 2006 810CE
Taylor 2014 324CE-K FLTD
Taylor 2014 522ce
Ovation 1778 LX Elite 2006
Fender Stratocaster 1995 (Mexico)

flaggerphil

• Florida Space Coast
I've always kept whatever saddle and nut my guitar came with...some with tusq and some with bone.  I liked the way the guitars sounded when I bought them and figured there wasn't any need to change things.
Phil

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

2006 R.Taylor Style 1 Redwood/Walnut
2016 Taylor 710e SS
2013 Taylor 528e
2003 Taylor 600-SPEC
2002 Taylor 510-LTD
2010 Taylor GS Mini-M
2006 Taylor T5-C Cocobolo
2015 Taylor T5z Classic
1937 A-Style Mandolin
Kala SMHT Ukulele
Kala SMHTC-E Ukulele

DM3MD

• My stuff on Reverb
Re: Did you replace your saddle on your guitar or keep the original Tsuq?
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2015, 02:10:01 PM »
Usually switch it out... glad to see more manufacturer's are going with bone from the get go.
The Herd:
---
- Taylor 612ce First Edition
- Taylor 326e Baritone 8 Limited
- Taylor GS Mini-e Koa
- Martin DM3MD w/Gold+Plus II
- Martin CEO-7
- Larrivee Forum I (OM-03MT) w/K&K
- Larrivee D-40 Austrian Spruce #1/30

Rev Roy

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2015, 07:39:55 PM »
I've always kept whatever saddle and nut my guitar came with...some with tusq and some with bone.  I liked the way the guitars sounded when I bought them and figured there wasn't any need to change things.

What he said...
Collings D1A Traditional
Bourgeois Generation D

lmacmil

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2015, 07:18:17 PM »

I am curious about other members experience

Tried a bone saddle in my GA3.  Couldn't hear much, if any, difference so I put the Tusq back in.
Taylor GA3
Taylor 150e
Taylor 224ce-K

fleetwing

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2015, 02:23:19 PM »
Replaced saddle and pins with bone (Colasi) on my Mini, but not the nut.  I think it sounded a bit brighter, but not a great difference to my untrained ear.  Honestly, I did it mostly for looks so was happy that it did sound a bit better (to my taste).  I later tried Martin strings (I think they are called SP) and that made a much greater difference in sound.

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2015, 10:34:42 PM »

Same here.
Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"