Author Topic: 12-fret models  (Read 6991 times)

not darth

• Veteran Member
  • Near the lake in Minnesota.
12-fret models
« on: December 12, 2011, 05:18:53 PM »
I'm thinking about the next guitar (hey, aren't we all?) and one version I've heard good things about are the 12-fret guitars, that is, those where the neck/body junction is at the 12th rather than the traditionally 14th fret. 

Tell me about your 12-fretter, why did you opt for that?  Do you also have a cutaway?  Are you primarily a fingerstylist, flatpicker or a strummer? 
Do you have any regrets or dislikes about that size? 
How about some pix?   :D

I'm just a noob, but I lean toward fingerstyle, and some of the guitars I've got my eye on are the GA5/514 and GA7/714 flavors, as well as the Seagull Artist Mosaic Folk CW and the Seagull Artist Peppino d'Agostino model. 
Thanks!
:)
-K
Member #34
I'm not darth.

Iplay2

Re: 12-fret models
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 05:29:18 PM »
I don't have one, but Taylor's 12 fret all hog LTD GC is a wonderful guitar.  If I was to ever get a 12 fretter, that would be the one I would hunt down.  It was a fingerpicking machine, and still sounded amazing when strummed.  I had never even considered a 12 fret (or a GC for all that matters) until I came across one of those.  Just my opinion based on playing one once.

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 05:31:49 PM »
There have been few things I've ever been as enthused about as I am my 12-fret.  I had heard about them, played one at my local shop, and was just blown away by the sound.  With the bridge moved toward the center of the lower bout, it is (as Bob Taylor has observed) like the difference between striking a drum toward the edge and striking it in the center.  I bought a GC-size 12-fret, and I'm just blown away by the richness of the tone, the volume, and the enhanced bottom end.  It's like the love child of a Taylor and a Martin, having inherited the best qualities of both.

When I got mine a few months ago, Taylor didn't offer a a closed headstock -- now they do.  Wish I had one.  Aside from that, with sinker redwood over cocobolo, the guitar is perfect.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

gtcrackers

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 06:54:52 PM »
This is my first post!  Thanks for the new Forum!

I became interested the the 12 fret guitars because of the very different "Taylor" sound that was coming from those guitars.  After 3 or 4 road shows I finally convinced myself that I was indeed hearing a difference.  After owning one since April (Spring Limited 12 fret ga
Cedar/Macassar) I have also found them much easier to play.  I am beginning to have some "Arthur" gently creep everywhere in my body, and I find it just a little easier on all reaches of my hands and arms.  My current feelings are that if I purchase another guitar that it will only be a 12 fret due to the reasons listed above.

Hope that helps!
2008 K65
2011 Spring Limited 12-Fret GA Cedar/Macassar

dkoloff

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 07:27:45 PM »
Ordered one of the first 12 frets from Taylor but came in as a mistake without the cutaway and did not feel comfortable  but have decided a koa 12 fret will be my next Taylor purchase...with cutaway.
DavidK
Taylor Custom GA
Taylor 424ce SL
Emerald x20 OS
Rainsong Shorty Gloss
Composite Acoustic OX HG
Composite Acoustic GX RAW (Peavey)
Voyage Air Vaom 1C (2)
Breedlove Pro C25 CRH
Baden D Style
Journey Instruments Spruce/Mahogany

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 09:07:07 PM »
one feature that i found that was different on a Taylor 12-fret than those
made by other builders is that the overall body shape remains the same -
the bridge is moved lower on the top, further away from the soundhole & the bracing
pattern altered to allow for the change in the bridge position, rather than having the
body elongated in order for the shoulders of the upper bouts to meet at the 12 fret

the grand auditorium was offered as 12 fret LTD as well, in Fall 10 &
i would love to see/hear the difference in a 12fret DN or GS,
should Taylor decide to make them available in the future

sorry to hear that they omitted the cutaway on your guitar, dkoloff -
just wondering when you opened the case & saw it, was your reponse something like

"uhh, umm ... i think there a little too much wood here ??? "
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

not darth

• Veteran Member
  • Near the lake in Minnesota.
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 09:41:32 PM »
Very interesting responses, I think I need to go try a 12-fret somewhere.
Looks like Jim at GR has one of the cedar/macassar spring ltd's in stock, but I have a feeling that if I go look at it I'm going to fall for it, which is probably not the best idea right now. 
Of course, I do have two kidneys, hmmmmmm......   ;)
-K
Member #34
I'm not darth.

markallen

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 10:23:42 PM »
My 12 fret Koa is on it's way to a wonderful new home as we speak. I really like the tone of the 12 fret and the short scale, but I began playing a bit more capoing (is that a word?) up to the 4th or 5th fret and the 12 fret just got a little too cramped for me to play comfortably. I'm a big guy to begin with at 6'2" and 240# so I'm sure the issue is more me than the guitar. For fingerstyle they are wonderful and I'm sure I will have another at some point in the future.

Cheers,
Mark

cjd-player

• Veteran Member
  • Near Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 08:43:14 AM »
I've played several in stores, but don't own a 12-fret.  I really like the playability of the short scale, and the warmer fuller tone.  If I had not purchased my BTO GC, I would have purchased a 12-fret wit a cutaway.

I'm not a fan of the slotted head stocks, but at a Taylor event, the rep said that it is done for tonal reasons on the 12-fret models.  Something about greater break angle over the nut.
Carl
2010 BTO GC, Redwood on EI Rosewood
2010 312ce, kept in DADGAD
2006 814ce LTD, Sitka on Mad Rosewood
2013 Composite Acoustics OX-Raw

Iplay2

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 08:52:20 AM »
Very interesting responses, I think I need to go try a 12-fret somewhere.
Looks like Jim at GR has one of the cedar/macassar spring ltd's in stock, but I have a feeling that if I go look at it I'm going to fall for it, which is probably not the best idea right now. 
Of course, I do have two kidneys, hmmmmmm......   ;)
-K

Who needs two kidneys anyway.  I bet Jim would love for you to go and give his Ltd a play!  ;)

MRMTAYGA

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 10:56:33 AM »
Well I've finally found my way over hear. Looks like a fantastic place. I'm currently 5 weeks into a Taylor 12 fret BTO wait. Edgeburst Sinker top with Cocobolo back/sides and ebony binding. Standard headstock, bone nut & saddle, and Gotoh gold tuners. Hopefully the holidays will make time move faster. Jim at Guitar Rodeo was fantastic to work with and (knock on wood) I should see it arrive on the 15th of January. I was looking for something a little bit different with this guitar and from the standard 12 frets that I have played in the stores I was really surprised at the sound that came out of this little monster. I think Dennis's love child comment really best describes the tone that I was hearing. Anyway another 5 to 6 weeks and then I can show some pictures.
2012 Taylor BTO 12 Fret Cocobolo/Sinker
2009 Taylor 714 Spring LTD Madagascar/Sitka
2008 Taylor DN8

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2011, 12:25:15 PM »
Well I've finally found my way over hear. Looks like a fantastic place. I'm currently 5 weeks into a Taylor 12 fret BTO wait. Edgeburst Sinker top with Cocobolo back/sides and ebony binding. Standard headstock, bone nut & saddle, and Gotoh gold tuners. Hopefully the holidays will make time move faster. Jim at Guitar Rodeo was fantastic to work with and (knock on wood) I should see it arrive on the 15th of January. I was looking for something a little bit different with this guitar and from the standard 12 frets that I have played in the stores I was really surprised at the sound that came out of this little monster. I think Dennis's love child comment really best describes the tone that I was hearing. Anyway another 5 to 6 weeks and then I can show some pictures.

1. Welcome!  :)
2. You must post pics when you get that ...wow, sounds like a stunner! 

I played a 12-fret at a Road Show and was immediately impressed (I'm a natural cynic ;) ).  I'm not even a "small guitar" kind of guy and never fancied Parlors or smaller shapes, personally.  So I was merely curious, then immediately experienced what the "to do" was about.  The 12-fret has a deeper more "mature" voice (hmmm, how to describe that??) that is simply different.  And different enough that I got it in my head to search them out.  So I tried a couple of GC body guitars ...no go for me.  The did sound smaller for me, and was no where near the same.  Yup, it was the build of a 12-fret that lends itself to "that" tone.  FWIW, I am a strummer and picker, maybe round 5% with bare fingers.  For the short time I had it in my hands, I would say it takes strumming very well, yet its smaller size and build made it nicely touch sensitive.

So I'd personally say hold out and get a 12-fret in your hands: you'll either want one immediately or feel blaise about it; it is a different guitar, to be sure!  FWIW, I found an RT style 2 (that's a GC body) that filled that 12-fret sound in my head: short scale, deep tones, yet still big sounding despite it's diminutive size, and 14 frets for better access.  RT is no longer taking orders, but if you find one used, I'd say jump on it.  But at least with a 12 fret, you can order/spec one out to your liking.  Happy hunting!

Edward
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 12:29:46 PM by Edward »

davwir

• A Coco-nut
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 05:32:38 AM »
When the Taylor 12 Frets first came out, I thought, eh, just another minor variation, maybe a nice to have eventually, or to try..
But I have been convinced otherwise now.. These are my FAVORITE models to play, especially for finger style ..
There is something very special about the tension, the tone, and the feel of them indeed..
I have GA and GC variations, and love em both..

Spend an hour in a shop playing one if you can.. It may totally surprise you!

bo1142

• Knoxville, TN
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 08:18:56 PM »
I haven't been able to play a 12 fret.  From the posts that I've read here, I think I need to find one to try.
Boone

My Taylor's:
2001 614ce
2007 GC6e
2008 K24ce
2011 814ce
2011 GSmini w/es-go

My other:
2002 Yamaha FG433s
2003 Fender Strat MIM
2005 Fender P Bass
2011 Mogan Monroe MMS-2 mandolin
2011 Makai LK-80w ukelele

jpmist

• Soundcloud
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2012, 02:36:51 PM »
I'm thinking about the next guitar (hey, aren't we all?) and one version I've heard good things about are the 12-fret guitars, that is, those where the neck/body junction is at the 12th rather than the traditionally 14th fret. 

Tell me about your 12-fretter, why did you opt for that?  Do you also have a cutaway?  Are you primarily a fingerstylist, flatpicker or a strummer? 
Do you have any regrets or dislikes about that size? 
How about some pix?   :D

I started out with a 412 a long time ago, then a '98 312 then stumbled on a Larrivee Forum IV all mahogany 12 fret. The sound of that Larrivee was pretty amazing and I falsely credited that difference in it being a 12 fret when actually it was due to the elongated shoulders the OO sized model has as well as the different bracing.

The Recording King OOO sized 12 fret I got afterwards had a similar tone as the Larrivee as it has the same elongated shoulders.

When I ordered the Taylor 12 I expected it to have the same crisp trebles my 312 has with simply more bass. It turned out that the Taylor 12 had a much richer bass and midtone, with slightly attenuated treble as well. That surprised and slightly disappointed me, but I've grown to like it very much. Because Taylor kept the same body design while dropping the bridge lower, the tone really didn't change as dramatically as I would have guessed. But the richer midrange tones along with the rosewood body makes for a very pleasing tone.

Having a cutaway is nice, but I wouldn't turn down a 12 fret I liked if it didn't have one. I don't play a capo much higher than the 5th fret so it's not a big issue playing that high up.

Having played the exact same body size for a few decades, of course it's very comfortable to me and the playability of a Taylor neck is simply unequaled. I play fingerstyle mostly, but it takes strumming well. It's kinda nice having your left hand a little closer in due to the shorter neck and it's also nice having a lighter headstock because so much wood is removed for the slots. People make a fuss about changing strings on these, but using broken off toothpicks makes tightening the strings in for the first time pretty easy.

If you'd like to hear mine, I have 4 Bob Dylan covers recorded with it. The bass runs turned out really nice using the Taylor 12.

Link is here:  http://jpmist.blogspot.com/2011/10/my-back-pages.html

Taylor 322CE, Larrivee OO-05, Larrivee OOV-03, Strats
https://soundcloud.com/jpmist/got-cover