Author Topic: Don't let your strings drive you crazy.  (Read 3301 times)

azslacker

• Veteran Member
Don't let your strings drive you crazy.
« on: February 10, 2015, 06:03:56 PM »
 For the past few weeks I've been really disgusted with my playing, and in turn, couldn't sing either. Decided I must need a new guitar, right. I've spent two or three weeks reading, listening, and contemplating what guitar I need. Logical step up from a GC is to a GA. It's hard for me to try out guitars because, I only play slack key tunings, and can only comfortably play a short scale. My local store manager will let me retune guitars, if it isn't busy. I was going to take a leap of faith and order a short scale 414ce, or a spruce 514 ce. Wanted to go last Saturday, but could not leave work on time to get there. They are closed Sundays, and Mondays. Was planning to get there later this week. Thinking it will be weeks before the guitar comes in, I decided to change the strings on my 312ce. I've always changed strings about every 5-6 weeks, but for some reason let this set go a few months.
 Well, to shorten the story, my 312 now sounds amazing, I can sing again, and don't need a new guitar.
 I put this under "Lessons" because I sure learned something: Change yer strings, dummy!
2016 322e 12 Fret
2011 312ce
2012 GS-Mini hog 
1983 Washburn D 12S
Yamaha Classical
Ukulele's out the ying yang.
2014 Larivée PO-3 Koa

guitarsrsoawesome

• Veteran Member
Re: Don't let your strings drive you crazy.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 07:15:01 PM »
For the past few weeks I've been really disgusted with my playing, and in turn, couldn't sing either. Decided I must need a new guitar, right. I've spent two or three weeks reading, listening, and contemplating what guitar I need. Logical step up from a GC is to a GA. It's hard for me to try out guitars because, I only play slack key tunings, and can only comfortably play a short scale. My local store manager will let me retune guitars, if it isn't busy. I was going to take a leap of faith and order a short scale 414ce, or a spruce 514 ce. Wanted to go last Saturday, but could not leave work on time to get there. They are closed Sundays, and Mondays. Was planning to get there later this week. Thinking it will be weeks before the guitar comes in, I decided to change the strings on my 312ce. I've always changed strings about every 5-6 weeks, but for some reason let this set go a few months.
 Well, to shorten the story, my 312 now sounds amazing, I can sing again, and don't need a new guitar.
 I put this under "Lessons" because I sure learned something: Change yer strings, dummy!

LOL.  I sometimes think that strings have almost as much influence on the tone of a guitar as the top does.  Just changing brands seems to have a major impact on the tone.  Glad your solution was just the cost of a pack!  Enjoy :)
November 2013 Taylor 514ce ES2
November 2011 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany

azslacker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 07:23:07 PM »
 I blame it on Taylor. They keep putting out Wood and Steel, and I'm blinded by all of the purdy geetars. Makes me want something new!
2016 322e 12 Fret
2011 312ce
2012 GS-Mini hog 
1983 Washburn D 12S
Yamaha Classical
2014 Larivée PO-3 Koa

guitarsrsoawesome

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 07:40:30 PM »
Same here.  I hadn't gassed in quite some time until I went to play the new maple.  Wasn't a fan, but I fell in love with the older model maple I compared it to and gassed for about a week! LOL.  Right now my mantra is, "play more, record more, use what I've got and wear it out.  Earn another guitar." :)

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 07:46:27 PM »
Aloha, Az.  A fellow slacker here.  Great point about changing the strings, and something everyone should keep in mind.  Sometimes a fresh string set is just enough change to get out of the rut.

You could get an even shorter effective scale length by tuning down further and using a capo.  A GS Mini is shorter still, but would likely pale next to your played in 312.  My wife keeps her GS Mini in taro patch (open G) all the time with lights, and it works fine for her.  A bit too floppy for my stronger hands and heavier touch though.  I'd put the mediums back on it.  She really likes the smaller body and shorter scale, even for ki ho'alu.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

Gordo in OZ

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 08:03:06 AM »
I have had the same experience with strings - even Elixirs will eventually sound rubbish. It just takes a long time. Capos are another factor. They change over time and the capo you bought years ago may not be all that good now.
Taylor 714 CE (2015) USA
Larrivee California SE OM19 (2003) USA
Larrivee L-05 Custom (1995) Canada
Larrivee Maple Special Edition Parlor (2003) Canada
Guild D55 (1974) USA
Marshall AS50D
Mandolins, Autoharps, Concertinas, a Mountain Dulcimer and a Harmonium.

azslacker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 01:48:24 PM »
 Well after apologizing to my guitar for calling it a piece of pawn shop junk, we sure had a good time last night. I play on average 2+ hours a day, but today my fingers are sore.
2016 322e 12 Fret
2011 312ce
2012 GS-Mini hog 
1983 Washburn D 12S
Yamaha Classical
2014 Larivée PO-3 Koa

guitarsrsoawesome

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 12:19:57 AM »
Well after apologizing to my guitar for calling it a piece of pawn shop junk, we sure had a good time last night. I play on average 2+ hours a day, but today my fingers are sore.

The perfect show of repentance, extra play!

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 07:48:01 AM »
My "classic" 614ce sounds kinda vanilla. Wonder if HD lights would perk it up?
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

Gordo in OZ

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2015, 10:46:29 AM »
G7th capos (made in China to specifications from a British company) probably the best I used. I have 4 of them and only 3 guitars. I did get one for free but I think it may be an omen that I need another guitar.
Taylor 714 CE (2015) USA
Larrivee California SE OM19 (2003) USA
Larrivee L-05 Custom (1995) Canada
Larrivee Maple Special Edition Parlor (2003) Canada
Guild D55 (1974) USA
Marshall AS50D
Mandolins, Autoharps, Concertinas, a Mountain Dulcimer and a Harmonium.

Lizzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2015, 10:06:49 PM »
G7th capos (made in China to specifications from a British company) probably the best I used. I have 4 of them and only 3 guitars. I did get one for free but I think it may be an omen that I need another guitar.
[/quote
There are lots of omens that mean you should get a new guitar:) I can think of a couple that happened today...like it was a bit too chilly in the house and I burned the toast. New guitar omens if I ever had any!

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2015, 06:11:45 PM »
G7 capo's workk great on GC's.  You need to buy one, Gordo
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

Astrum

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2015, 06:30:09 PM »
[/quote
There are lots of omens that mean you should get a new guitar:) I can think of a couple that happened today...like it was a bit too chilly in the house and I burned the toast. New guitar omens if I ever had any!
Time for me to burn some toast and buy another capo!  ;)

Oh, and the G7ths really are fantastic capos.
'02 Washburn D10CEB
'13 Martin OM-42
'14 Taylor GS Mini-e Koa FLTD