Author Topic: Store in NC doing deals on Taylors  (Read 7347 times)

guitarsrsoawesome

• Veteran Member
Store in NC doing deals on Taylors
« on: January 26, 2015, 05:44:26 PM »
Hey guys,

Saw this on craigslist today and thought I'd share.  He's wanting to clear some space for his next Taylor shipment and seems willing to do some deals.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/msg/4864487851.html

« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 02:30:29 PM by guitarsrsoawesome »
November 2013 Taylor 514ce ES2
November 2011 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany

Harley

Re: Store in NC doing deals on Taylors
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 11:59:36 PM »
The lister writes "Call me if you're serious".

I would think if he was "serious" about selling them he would've included a phone number.

Checking Taylor's website, the closest dealer to Mooresville, NC is in Concord, which is over 15 miles away.

An unauthorized dealer, maybe?

guitarsrsoawesome

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 12:12:18 AM »
Nope, he gave me his mooresville,nc address and phone number when I emailed him through craigslist... I think they have to be careful with how they advertise discounts on craigslist and that's why that info is not there...he said he's trying to make way for the next shipment...invited me to come to his store on exit 36 (a mooresville address off I-77).  Think it's legit.

Modification: I get what you're saying now, that he's not on the list of authorized dealers...well, I guess I don't know that...I could find out...

Harley

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 02:17:57 AM »
Modification: I get what you're saying now, that he's not on the list of authorized dealers...well, I guess I don't know that...I could find out...

Well, there's definitely no authorized dealer, with a Mooresville address, listed on Taylor's webpage.

I would be wary. If he's not an authorized dealer, if I understand it correctly, then the warranty may not be honored by Taylor.

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 11:03:24 AM »
That would be correct, Harley.  No warranty if bought through unauthorized dealers - essentially the same as buying used in Taylor's eyes.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

guitarsrsoawesome

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 11:31:03 AM »
I emailed with the question and replied that Music N More is ABSOLUTELY AN AUTHORIZED DEALER.  Maybe the list isn't updated or something.  He was pretty emphatic.

guitarsrsoawesome

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 11:59:52 AM »
Looks like Music N More opened another store in Mooresville, NC and that their initial store was in Concorde...same dealer as Concorde...

Music N More
706 Church St.
Concord, NC 28025
704-786-2314

EDIT: A quick look at their website, http://www.mnmshop.com/index.php?storecookie=1 , shows three stores, one in Concorde, a second in Mooresville and the third in Ablemarle...Breedlove and Taylor proudly displayed on the home page...
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 04:45:27 PM by guitarsrsoawesome »

Harley

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 06:46:08 PM »
Well, the caveat was sound.

That said, I don't know of too many dealers who have to resort to Craig's List to move product. It's a signal to me that there could be a problem.

YMMV.

guitarsrsoawesome

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 07:01:44 PM »

That said, I don't know of too many dealers who have to resort to Craig's List to move product. It's a signal to me that there could be a problem.

YMMV.

You may be right about that, but I find it a little cavalier to besmirch a store's character without knowing for sure.  That's sort of unfair to them, especially if they are above board.  I guess I would want to be sure before throwing those kinds of accusations out there.

Harley

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 11:57:39 PM »

YMMV.

You may be right about that, but I find it a little cavalier to besmirch a store's character without knowing for sure.  That's sort of unfair to them, especially if they are above board.  I guess I would want to be sure before throwing those kinds of accusations out there.

I didn't mean to besmirch anything, and certainly not anyone.

I remember many years ago, dealers couldn't sell on the internet. A friend of mine who had a store in New York once told me that dealers couldn't sell on eBay or Craig's List. That may have changed, or it might not have. If it hasn't, and he's breaking the rules, is that "above board"?

But that wasn't even what I was speaking to. As someone who's cirrently considering the purchase of a Taylor, what I was speaking to was how effective a dealer could he be if he has to blow stock out in order to bring in new stock? If the guitars aren't selling, and he has to sell them on Craig's List, the question I would have would be "Why?".

That's all I was trying to say.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 11:59:17 PM by Harley »

guitarsrsoawesome

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 12:18:53 AM »
What I've seen in this area's craiglist is the "mom and pops" in the surrounding areas using it to try to drive traffic out of the metropolitan area and into their shops.   One in particular would buy higher level LTD's and have a hard time moving them from their small town because of the demographics, but when they would use craigslist to attract the "big city folk," they could get some sales of their higher end guitars.  So that was one angle for the small town store to attract business from the city.

The store we're talking about in this post is also outside the city and up by this area's major lake where a lot of wealthy city folks have summer places and aren't there as much in the winter, so it's possible he could have had a tougher time getting rid of his winter inventory and now is trying to reach out to the city dwellers to thin the herd.

But to your point, I think there's something to the rules of advertising that prevents him from posting his store's name and number in the ad, which is why you have to contact him to get more info.  Maybe he's doing a bit of line walking on that front, that is, advertising on craigslist to begin with, but he's definitely not the only one in my area that I've seen do it.  But that still doesn't make it right if it's against the rules.  They all should not do it at all if that's the case.

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 05:48:08 AM »
But that wasn't even what I was speaking to. As someone who's cirrently considering the purchase of a Taylor, what I was speaking to was how effective a dealer could he be if he has to blow stock out in order to bring in new stock? If the guitars aren't selling, and he has to sell them on Craig's List, the question I would have would be "Why?".

Has to be a demograpics/economics thing.  Taylor guitars are too consistently reliable to be "damaged goods". 
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

Harley

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2015, 10:14:58 AM »
But that wasn't even what I was speaking to. As someone who's currently considering the purchase of a Taylor, what I was speaking to was how effective a dealer could he be if he has to blow stock out in order to bring in new stock? If the guitars aren't selling, and he has to sell them on Craig's List, the question I would have would be "Why?".

Has to be a demograpics/economics thing.  Taylor guitars are too consistently reliable to be "damaged goods".

Hmmmm. I don't know.

It would be interesting to know if other area dealers are doing it, as well.

guitarsrsoawesome

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2015, 10:18:10 AM »
Two posts up I just reported that they were...

Harley

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2015, 10:28:05 AM »
Two posts up I just reported that they were...

Oh, it wasn't obvious; apologies.

If I'm the business owner, I know that if a particular product isn't selling well or at a reasonable margin, and I have to blow it out in a manner which may not align with the vendor's rules, I would have to consider whether it's a product I should be stocking in the first place.

It may be a fantastic product (and, let's face it, Taylors are definitely that), but I would need to have products that are actually turning at a decent profit and heading out the front door, so I can bring in new product through the loading dock.

If it's a demographics/economics thing, it wouldn't make a lot of sense to bring in fresh examples of a product that, a year from now, I'll be forced to put on Craig's List.