Author Topic: Craiglist K20  (Read 11313 times)

Montaramike

• Mike McCall, Spanish Guitarist
Craiglist K20
« on: November 30, 2014, 04:19:22 PM »
I had a 98 k20c and this one seems a little strange! from the fuzzy shot of the label to the 3 piece back.  I sent an email about serial number and received a reply that totally ignored my question.

Thoughts?  Maybe I'm incorrect...

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/msg/4782038970.html
2011 Taylor Fall  Limited Cedar/Blackwood (Nylon)
Carmel Guitar Co OM Sinker/Bloodwood
Holden Village GS Mini
Navarro Special Grand Concert

Guitar Cowboy

• Veteran Member
Re: Craiglist K20
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 06:02:38 PM »
OK, I' m no expert  and somebody can correct me if I'm wrong then you can banish me from this site...(for a while). Nothing about that guitar looks Taylor. I think its made by the people who make bathroom scales. The case doesn't even look like a Taylor  ... a "Taylor Deluxe Brown Hardshell Case" and ... um... its not even brown... ??? 
Steve
2020 326ce V-class soundhole cutaway prototype
(Mahogany/Urban Ash)
2019 E14 Limited Edition V-Class (Spruce/Ebony)
2019 814ce V-Class (Cedar/Rosewood)
2016 GS mini-E Koa
2015 618e 1st Edition (Torrified Spruce/Maple)
2014 K26ce (AA Koa- Wildwood CV) 
1980-something Yamaha  FG345II Dread

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 06:04:53 PM »
There is a certain amount of randomness from Taylor with two or three piece backs.  It has been reported here that some models come normally with two-piece backs, yet certain examples have three-piece backs.  I noticed that the add does not say what year it is.  That would fairly obvious from the serial number, if you have it.  (You could also call customer service with the serial number and verify the model, appointments, authenticity, etc).  The scarf joint on the head stock as pictured from the rear replaced the finger jointed necks, which I think occurred around 2005 or so.  Taylor has always used a label to hide the neck bolts, so that by itself is not suspicious, but there should also be  a label inside the sound hole mounted onto the back for easy viewing.  This also looks like the older "blockier" dreadnought shape, which was softened somewhere around the same time that the neck joint was changed from finger joints to scarf joints.  Also this looks like a generic aftermarket case, not an original factory hard shell case.

Given the lack of clear photos and a less than forthcoming response, caution is advised.  But I may be a bit paranoid.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

Montaramike

• Mike McCall, Spanish Guitarist
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 06:20:57 PM »
I got an email back saying he thinks it's a 2001 and that he posted the clearest photo of the label he could.  I'm  staying about 50 miles away from this one...
2011 Taylor Fall  Limited Cedar/Blackwood (Nylon)
Carmel Guitar Co OM Sinker/Bloodwood
Holden Village GS Mini
Navarro Special Grand Concert

Astrum

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 07:05:40 PM »
I got an email back saying he thinks it's a 2001 and that he posted the clearest photo of the label he could.  I'm  staying about 50 miles away from this one...
Probably a good call!
'02 Washburn D10CEB
'13 Martin OM-42
'14 Taylor GS Mini-e Koa FLTD

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 07:24:18 PM »
Well...ask him where the Unique Island Vine Fretboard and Peghead Inlay is on this fretboard. ;)
Cindy

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 11:06:46 PM »
This posting has been deleted by its author.  Reads the craigs list link now.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2014, 11:34:39 PM »
without being able to see a pic or ad description (everything has been pulled), based on
the above comments, i am under the impression the guitar was likely not legitimate -
the k20 model has been made in 2 & 3 piece back configurations interchangeably &
the scarf joint headstock was phased in beginning in 07 on the 300/up series

98 was the last year for the neck heel block model/serial # label, which was then
moved to the inside of the back, with the label being larger & more easily visible -
i saw a gs mini in a store recently that had no label covering the neck heel bolt & it was a brand new guitar
pulled right out of the box, but that's about the only example i've seen of a Taylor acoustic not having a label
of some sort covering the bolts on an acoustic NT neck, other than the BT & BBTs, which have no neck heel

the guitar didn't happen to look like this one, did it ???
http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/msg/4768898828.html

the contour of the cutaway, the b band style EQ knobs &
the soundhole label need a little more 'work', imho ::)
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 05:20:19 PM »
without being able to see a pic or ad description (everything has been pulled), based on
the above comments, i am under the impression the guitar was likely not legitimate -
the k20 model has been made in 2 & 3 piece back configurations interchangeably &
the scarf joint headstock was phased in beginning in 07 on the 300/up series

98 was the last year for the neck heel block model/serial # label, which was then
moved to the inside of the back, with the label being larger & more easily visible -
i saw a gs mini in a store recently that had no label covering the neck heel bolt & it was a brand new guitar
pulled right out of the box, but that's about the only example i've seen of a Taylor acoustic not having a label
of some sort covering the bolts on an acoustic NT neck, other than the BT & BBTs, which have no neck heel

the guitar didn't happen to look like this one, did it ???
http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/msg/4768898828.html

the contour of the cutaway, the b band style EQ knobs &
the soundhole label need a little more 'work', imho ::)

The link doesn't work for this, Michael.
Cindy

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 05:39:15 PM »
that's odd :-\
i just tried it & it worked fine for me

it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Stringband Eric

• My website
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2014, 07:57:59 PM »
Just a noobie on this site, but that's a fake per the photo above.  First off, the label indicates the guitar was made in Mexico (the 2 at the beginning of the s/n).  Also, haven't seen any Taylor with those knobs on the side.  Also, the only wooden inlays I've ever seen on Taylors were some of the limited editions.  Lastly, the wood doesn't look like koa.  Oh, and another lastly, the back wood in the photo with the label is not koa.

That's my take. 
Eric P.
2018 Taylor GS Mini Koa
1997 Taylor 420-R
2013 Gibson J-35

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2014, 10:06:52 AM »
No Michael, the guitar didn't look like that. It was a plain fretboard with just the dots--no inlay at all even though it stated it had the vine inlay. ::)
Cindy

Harley

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 06:51:23 PM »
Also, the only wooden inlays I've ever seen on Taylors were some of the limited editions.

I'm pretty sure the current Koa Series uses wood inlays on the fingerboard.

doctorinthehouse

• gym piper songs
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2015, 07:42:16 AM »
that's odd :-\
i just tried it & it worked fine for me

its a fake those knobs come on the chinese fakes on sites like dhgate
taylor 214ce
taylor mini gs koa
1982 westone rainbow 1 semi
vox ac4 tube amp

Harley

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2015, 08:43:15 AM »
Also, the top looks more like walnut than it does koa.