Author Topic: How to get an "acoustic" sound when recording a Taylor T5 direct?  (Read 4511 times)

ZillaG

I have a Taylor T5 classic mahogany, and use a Presonus Firebox and Logic X on my iMac to record direct. Anyone out there that has a similar set up that can give me pointers on how to capture the warmth and "airyness" of the guitar using pickup position 1? Perhaps even dropbox me a Logic X project? Any pre- or post-recording setups? Do I record dry and then put it through an amp? Which amp? What settings? I have the (free) Amplitude 3 plugin also. Thank you!
Taylor T5 Classic Mahogany
Taylor 816ce

Gutch

• Veteran Member
    • www.davegutshall.com
Re: How to get an "acoustic" sound when recording a Taylor T5 direct?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 08:52:32 AM »
How to get an acoustic sound?  Record an acoustic guitar...   ;D

Seriously, the T5 is an electric guitar with a soundboard transducer to help get closer to an acoustic sound when used live.  It was never intended to replace an acoustic guitar in the studio or in a recording.  That being said, you can get closer to acoustic by trying the following:

1.  Position One on the pickup selector (Neck & SBT pickups)
2.  Guitar Volume Up (at least 75% or  more -- Gives you more dynamic range)
3.  Treble & Bass controls Up (Treble at least 90%, Bass at least 75%.  Adjust to taste.)
4.  Use a balanced cable (TRS-XLR) to the Firebox.  Again, this helps give you a hotter signal and better dynamic range.
5.  Scoop out a bit of the mids (500Hz-1KHz) -- Not too much, though.  Don't use too much reverb either.
6.  Play, listen, adjust.

Good luck!

‎"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything."
-- Plato

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 10:28:14 AM »

That was my first thought too.  Another option might be to use a Fishman Aura box and record one of the images that are built-in.  But I'm far from being a recording expert.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

ZillaG

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 11:07:13 AM »

Seriously, the T5 is an electric guitar with a soundboard transducer to help get closer to an acoustic sound when used live.  It was never intended to replace an acoustic guitar in the studio or in a recording.  That being said, you can get closer to acoustic by trying the following:

1.  Position One on the pickup selector (Neck & SBT pickups)
2.  Guitar Volume Up (at least 75% or  more -- Gives you more dynamic range)
3.  Treble & Bass controls Up (Treble at least 90%, Bass at least 75%.  Adjust to taste.)
4.  Use a balanced cable (TRS-XLR) to the Firebox.  Again, this helps give you a hotter signal and better dynamic range.
5.  Scoop out a bit of the mids (500Hz-1KHz) -- Not too much, though.  Don't use too much reverb either.
6.  Play, listen, adjust.

Good luck!

Thanks I will try these.

Yes I realize that the T5 is an electric guitar. However, when I play (live) through my Bose T1 and L1 compact, it just just sounds "warm" and "acoustic." I'd be happy to get the sound at around 2:00 on this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEsnY_t0Yvk. I'm looking for folks with a similar setup that I have though. Anyone?
Taylor 816ce

ZillaG

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 12:53:22 PM »
Here's a sample, strumming a simple A-E progression. I started out with Gutch's suggestions recording dry, then put a Soft Fingerpicking channel setting, and a Realistic Room reverb. I notched out the 750Hz signal around -2.0db. It's a start.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 12:59:12 PM by ZillaG »
Taylor 816ce

Gutch

• Veteran Member
    • www.davegutshall.com
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 07:57:48 PM »

Yes I realize that the T5 is an electric guitar. However, when I play (live) through my Bose T1 and L1 compact, it just just sounds "warm" and "acoustic." I'd be happy to get the sound at around 2:00 on this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEsnY_t0Yvk. I'm looking for folks with a similar setup that I have though. Anyone?

Long time T5 and Bose L1 user here.  Picked up my Maple topped T5 early 2006 (it's birthday is November, 2005) and have gigged and recorded with it often over the years.  I typically pull it out when the stage will be cramped and there's not enough room for spare guitars.  In this case, I'll use a Zoom G3 (Also very compact) for effects as it sounds great and I've sert up specific patches for clean annd acoustic tones..  The G3 also has a balanced output that can go direct to FOH or other PA system.

As for the Bose L1, I want to say I've using it about as long, if not a little longer (2004).  Started off with the Model One and 2x B1 bass modules.  Was an early adopter of the T1 and was actually involved as a beta tester as they refined the firmware and features.  Traded in the old Model One for the newer Model Two earlier this year (Lighter, better coverage but lower output power). 

Taylor was one of the first guitar companies (if not THE first) to partner with Bose in order to create the model specific presets.  Bose sent out a CD with the preset files for the Model One, and you had to find a CD player that could connect to the data port of the L1 power stand in order to transfer them into the system.  You received a folded card that you stuck inside the control panel door that had the revised preset numbers.  You didn't have the T1's advantages of the effects and other niceties, but the EQ settings sounded great.

Sorry... Rambling...

The Bose L1/T1 combo and its flexibility is going to get you close when you use the preset.  It works fine for live situations, but I still prefer to play a full size acoustic when possible.  The ES system's sounddboard transducer actually let's you hear the "air" inside the guitar body.  This sound actually changes dependent on the body size.  The T5's Expression System voice simply doesn't have the depth of a full depth guitar's ES tone.  It is definitely much closer than a basic piezo UST on an acoustic or the Fishman X-Bridge on an electric guitar.   As for the Fishman Aura, I tried it recently when I bought a Gibson Hummingbird with a piezo UST.  The basic pickup sounded so bad, I went looking for a solution.  Tried the Aura Spectrum Preamp/DI.  Was not impressed at all.   Very artificial sounding.  I liked the guitar acoustically, but couldn't stand how it sounded amplified, so I ended up returning the Gibson and picking up a 416ce instead. I know some people complain about the ES, but I find it to be the best sounding, most feedback resistant system that I am  aware of.   The bonus is that it only comes in my favorite brand of guitar!

‎"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything."
-- Plato