Author Topic: Cleaning Strings  (Read 1558 times)

a1terrier

Cleaning Strings
« on: November 22, 2014, 05:49:08 AM »
Hi All

Got my first Taylor about five months ago. Factory fitted Elexirs, still sounds fantastic but the strings are getting discoloured
with playing. Don't really want to change them as I said they still sound good.  what`s the best way to clean them (If any) as don't want to damage the fretboard by using something I shouldn't.

Thanks
214CE Koa Dlx

BobSol

• Too Old To Worry
Re: Cleaning Strings
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 06:03:10 AM »
Hi
      The discoloration is from the natural acids your fingers produce i.e. sweat. We all suffer, some considerably more than others. I wish I could get five months from a set of strings. Nothing will clean them, the grime becomes ingrained in the wraps. Sadly, your strings are nearing the end of their life and trust me, you won't believe the difference when you change them 
2011 Taylor GA12 FLTD KOA
2014 Taylor GS Mini Koa FLTD
2014 Taylor 456CE SLTD
2012 Taylor 210
2010 Taylor 510 KOA FLTD
2006 Taylor T5 C2 KOA

Gutch

• Veteran Member
    • www.davegutshall.com
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 07:37:07 AM »
Treat yourself to a new set of strings.  Seriously.  You deserve them.  Your guitar will thank you, and your ears will too.
‎"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything."
-- Plato

a1terrier

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 07:49:06 AM »
Thanks for replies
Will treat her(?) to a new set. Got to say that to me that new Elixirs don't sound as bright as other strings when new but they certainly last a lot longer. Guess that's why they are so expensive!!
214CE Koa Dlx

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 08:18:15 AM »
Thanks for replies
Will treat her(?) to a new set. Got to say that to me that new Elixirs don't sound as bright as other strings when new but they certainly last a lot longer. Guess that's why they are so expensive!!

In my experience, new Elixirs need about 2 to 3 hours of playing before they break in and sound their best.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 08:21:40 AM »
Yup, definitely get better after they are played in.
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 01:52:13 PM »
Hi
      The discoloration is from the natural acids your fingers produce i.e. sweat. We all suffer, some considerably more than others. I wish I could get five months from a set of strings. Nothing will clean them, the grime becomes ingrained in the wraps. Sadly, your strings are nearing the end of their life and trust me, you won't believe the difference when you change them

Yeah, the best preventative thing you can do to prolong your string life given this is to wash your hands before you play your guitar. Probably not realistic that you always could or will remember, but if you do the majority of the time you will see a difference in longevity. And this won't eliminate oil, acids, etc. but it will certainly reduce what gets on your strings as a practice.
"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

2021 Taylor 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/EIR
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Flamed Koa