Author Topic: Been a long time Martin guy...now I like Taylor just as much, maybe more.  (Read 4121 times)

6stringmusic

I just love what Bob and Andy are doing at Taylor.  Making some really great looking and sounding guitars!  Their models keep getting better and better, and I just love the looks of the Taylor's more.  I know it is all about tone, and Martin tone is amazing as well...but if you take into consideration what you get for the price, I think Taylor's are the better overall value.

Not to mention, the last three Martin's I bought have had Quality Control issues.  Two of which were from their Custom Shop!  Yeah.  I am beginning to think they are over producing and the QC is beginning to show here and there.

Overall, becoming a huge Taylor fan.  I will always own a Martin, but the scale is starting to tip from PA to CA for me.

jrporter

• Veteran Member
It seems like you've come to the right place. Welcome aboard...

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
I own both brands and I must say I like my Taylors better as well.  When I sit down and play my Martin M-38 I am always satisfied, The other Martins I have owned I can not say that. 
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 08:58:29 AM by mgap »
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
Martin has made great guitars over the years. I can't say that I have played too many more recent models, but I used to own an HD28, an M-38, a 000-28EC, a 000-16, and a D-45 at various times. I just happen to prefer my Taylors for my purposes these days. I suppose I should check out the latest offerings, but I'm not running to the store to do so....
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

lmacmil

• Veteran Member
Have one of each and love them both but if I could only keep one it would be my GA3.
Taylor GA3
Taylor 150e
Taylor 224ce-K

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
Have a lot of respect for Martin's heritage,  but for me Taylor is it. Many reasons.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
 I'm dipping my toe in the Martin waters, carefully. :)
Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
1974 or later -- I'd take a Taylor every time.  1930..........?
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

masmusic

Martins are like picking apples, most are good, some are just OK and every know and then you find one that's amazing. I played a D17 a few years ago, the far more expensive D28 and D45 that were right next to  it didn't come close  to the much less expensive D17
Taylor 150e 12 string
Larrivee LO3 Bubbinga special edition
Kremona Sophia Classical

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
I never cared for the tone of Martin guitars with the exception of one of their cheaper models. Taylor's distinct chime in the trebles really pulls me in. To me, Martins are too muddy in comparison with Taylors. The Martin factory is here in Pennsylvania, but I've never been there...have no desire to do so; however, if it was a Taylor factory, you'd better believe I'd be there in a heartbeat!
Cindy

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
Re: Been a long time Martin guy...now I like Taylor just as much, maybe more.
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2014, 11:35:57 AM »
The Martin factory tour is a fun tour, and their museum is fabulous: I'd recommend that anyone in the area take the time and do it (take the day, Cindy ...you'll enjoy it ;) ).  The Gibson tour (Memphis), OTOH, was pretty lackluster, IMHO.

Good guitars, to be sure, but guitars are all about voice and feel, irrespective of heastock, as we all know.  For these many decades, I've never cared enough to own a Martin, precisely because of their voice and feel, though I do admit the OM used to be one --if there were one Martin-- I could own.  It's a personal fit, to be sure.  But with Taylor building nearly every incarnation of tone and shape imaginable, particularly with the variety in this last decade, there really is zero reason for me to look outside Bob's shop.  It's a great time to be a guitar player :)

Edward

Bernie

• Music Lover
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2014, 05:45:12 PM »
The philosophy in each make is quite different, a reason why they don't compete IMO...I like them both.
I attended a luthier's show recently, and I tried some outstanding guitars. I think my next guitar might as well be one of them : in Europe American guitars end up being expensive with the import taxes, v.a.t., shipping, retailers profits and so on...With a same amount of money one can end up with a 100% handmade guitar...And it's worth it.
I'd like to have a Gibson too though, for the sake of playing one of these guitars used by some of the big names I like, but I doubt this would be the best possible choice...
When it comes to Taylors, the electronics and some peculiar models could still turn me on however... :o

Gutch

• Veteran Member
    • www.davegutshall.com
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2014, 06:37:37 PM »
I love the history and heritage of Martin Guitars.  I try to read as much as I can about acoustic guitars in general, and CF Martin's innovations at the time were incredible.  Of course, Orville Gibson's impact on the market can't be ignored either.  They are both iconic American guitar companies, and, given the fickle nature of the music industry, it's amazing that they are both still in business and thriving today.

I think in 100 years, Taylor will be looked upon with the same honor and respect as the other two companies are today.  Bob's innovation in design and manufacturing and the new tonal complexities being developed by Andy Powers (Taylor's Lloyd Loar, perhaps?) are assuring the company's place in history.
‎"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything."
-- Plato

Guitarsan

• Veteran Member
  • Keep calm and play on!
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2014, 08:07:22 AM »

Not to mention, the last three Martin's I bought have had Quality Control issues.  Two of which were from their Custom Shop!  Yeah.  I am beginning to think they are over producing and the QC is beginning to show here and there.

Glad to hear you're loving Taylor!

It's anecdotal, but there are plenty of stories on the web about Martin quality issues, which is sad because it is a great guitar with a storied and well respected history. I'm a Taylor man by taste and I'm not painting Martin with a broad quality brush, but there's "something there" with their quality issues.

And here's the thing. They're not over producing, Taylor now has passed them as the number one volume producer of guitars. But, one of the things to like about Taylor is Bob's relentless push for quality and consistency. He pays attention to "manufacturability", asking the tough questions "ok, that's how we make one, but how do we make 700 a day the same way with the same quality." There are tons of things he does proactively to make it happen, it's not an accident. And, that NT neck, he perfected that sucker!
"The guitar is the perfect drug because when you play it you're in no pain, and when you put it down, there's no hangover." Paul Reed Smith

2021 Taylor 914ce LTD Sinker Redwood/EIR
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Flamed Koa

Rod Neep

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2014, 09:57:58 AM »

It's anecdotal, but there are plenty of stories on the web about Martin quality issues, which is sad because it is a great guitar with a storied and well respected history. I'm a Taylor man by taste and I'm not painting Martin with a broad quality brush, but there's "something there" with their quality issues.

Unfortunately, you are not wrong in saying that.
I say that as a 70 year old, (playing for 55 years of those) who is a life long lover of Martin guitars. Not all of them have QC issues of course, but it is a pain when it happens to be your guitar. I have had five of them in recent years that had problems out of the box or soon after. I now own only one Martin guitar. A very expensive custom, which had problems but repaired. I started to consider that my Martin guitars were a liability rather than an asset. That's a very sad thing for me to say.

I too am a new member to the fold of Taylor guitar owners. (A gorgeous all koa GA custom). Why a Taylor? Because I trusted the way that Taylor were making guitars, and unfortunately I didn't trust modern Martin guitars any longer.

That got me to thinking about the actual reasons. Martin produce traditional guitars, but have tried to alter manufacturing with CNC to bring themselves into the modern age. But in doing so they have tried to get the CNC machines to do what was done traditionally. That change presented problems, so they tweaked something to overcome a problem..... which in itself created another problem. And so on. In other words, Martin are often chasing theiir own self created problems. (For example, there have been four different methods of bridge fitting in recent years. Three different neck joints).

Bob Taylor, on the other hand took a different approach. He knew that he wanted to mass produce guitars using CNC and therefore in effect re-designed the guitar from the bottom up so that it could be produced using CNC machinery. Then he designed the CNC in house to do it. Unlike Martin, he didn't have to preserve the "tradition" (or the illusion of tradition and "hand made"). The end result is that the Taylor guitars are much more consistent, no matter what the price range.

That Taylor neck joint, for example, is pure genius! Sure, wood moves and sooner or later a guitar needs a neck reset. Too many new Martins are needing a neck reset within a couple of years to a month (or brand new out of the box even). Five of mine. There is a warranty, sure, but it takes around nine months for Martin to do the job. With Taylor's neck joint that job can be carried out in minutes. Brilliant.

So when it came to buying a new guitar this time round the choice was easy. It came down to a matter of trust.
Several thousand dollars is a lot to put down on a new guitar. I didn't want it to give me hassle down the line or end up costing me more. Simple.

Rod

$
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 11:24:45 PM by UTGF-Team »