Author Topic: Sticky Neck  (Read 3681 times)

a1terrier

Sticky Neck
« on: July 19, 2014, 05:21:06 AM »
Hi All
New member here. Recently bought a 214ce Koa, love the guitar but cant seem to keep the neck smooth. Always wash and dry my hands before playing but it gets sticky after playing a while. Its a satin finish neck and my other guitars are all gloss. Could I use a fine polish or very fine abrasive to smooth it down? Any advice welcome.
Thanks
214CE Koa Dlx

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
Re: Sticky Neck
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 11:44:33 AM »
Usually this question goes the other way - the neck WAS satin and has now become glossy, polished by my playing hand, and gets sticky.  In most cases a satin neck lets you slide better and move more freely.  Have you applied polish, guitar cleaner, or something to the back of the neck?
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

a1terrier

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 12:04:10 PM »
Hi Earl

Thanks for reply. No nothing applied to neck at all. I know what you mean about gloss necks, my other are gloss and are super smooth. Hoping same will happen to satin neck. Wont be with a lack of playing it!!
214CE Koa Dlx

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 12:22:28 PM »
I use some very fine sandpaper or 0000 steel wool on my necks when they get sticky.  I just work on them very lightly until they are smooth and wipe with a microfiber cloth.

I saw a luthier friend of mine use talcum powder or maybe you could try the chalk stuff pool players use and you could always take it to a luthier and they could do a speed neck if you're reluctant to work on it yourself.

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 02:10:53 PM »
I've used 600-grit wetsandpaper (the black stuff) on the backs of all my electrics for years, decades, actually.  It's enough grit to just "break" the surface of the finish and offer a smooth-and-slick playing surface.  The paper loads up fast so use light hand pressure and go easy; a little sanding does much in feel.

FWIW, I've never felt the need in my acoustics, but for the electrics, this is my SOP.  Once done, that guitar is good for several months of regular playing until I feel the need to break out the paper again.  Simple and effective.

Edward

dangrunloh

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 10:51:05 PM »
Hi Earl

Thanks for reply. No nothing applied to neck at all. I know what you mean about gloss necks, my other are gloss and are super smooth. Hoping same will happen to satin neck. Wont be with a lack of playing it!!

No I believe he is saying that usually gloss necks are often thought to be stickier than satin. Taylor has written about this subject. It may depend on the moisture in your skin. With damp hands the gloss sticks more. The remedy is take some of that sheen off with steel wool. (or use it to remove whatever has gotten into the surface).

GreysSonicPlayground

• Pickin' grinnin' writing and singing
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 01:25:37 PM »
Use a dollar bill to wipe(gently) the neck. It's a trick I use to do in my pool playing days to make my que slide easier, and works well on a guitar neck too. Just cover your palm with it and swipe up and down a few times.
Steel wool and 1000 grit up, are too abrasive.
2010 414CE
And a pair of happy hands.

greyssonicplayground@gmail.com

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2014, 11:38:12 PM »
Cool trick!  I'll have to try it next time I grab a really glossy neck.  You want to be VERY careful using steel wool or sandpaper, even with very fine grit ratings.  Over time it would be easy to wear right through the finish to bare wood, and that would look ugly pretty quick.  I have on occasion used a very fine grade of Scotchbrite pad to take some glaze off.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby