Author Topic: Yesterday was a NGD day and FTGD for me!  (Read 3129 times)

129Jayman

Yesterday was a NGD day and FTGD for me!
« on: July 12, 2014, 04:48:11 PM »

I am very happy with my HV. It sounds and plays great. I would highly recommend one. This is my first and it won't be my last Taylor.

Jay
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 06:13:16 PM by 129Jayman »

Maizydaizy

Re: Yesterday was a NGD day and FTGD for me!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 05:23:59 PM »
Congratulations! I see you got yours in less than a week too. Aren't NGD's the best😊
These HV minis are sooo nice! I love mine too and also the fact that a good chunk of the price is benefitting charities. When I posted my NGD for the HV Mini over on AGF (http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343474)  I learned a lot more about this specific project from the person who started the process that led to Taylor making this guitar...Dave Olson, "varve" on AGF. I had recognized his name because I had already read about the story of the HV mini but he went above & beyond  & even took a guess as to which tree my guitar was made from and posted some photos he took. It makes it really special to me and one I would never get rid of.
Have a great day & enjoy!

129Jayman

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 06:10:52 PM »
Thanks Maizydaizy!

I read the paperwork that came with my HV, in regards to the maple, as I understood it, all the maple came from one tree. That would explain why all the grain patterns in the the pictures that I have seen so far look pretty much the same. My Washburn has a stika spruce top and I think I think the top on my HV is prettier. I should get a picture of both of them together. That would look sort of like the fat man and little boy photo.  ;)

Thanks for the link above. I will check it out after I go play my NG some more.

Jay

toj

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 06:37:09 PM »
It is beautiful! Congratulations!
2001 Simon & Patrick Pro Folk
2003 Tacoma EKK19C
2012 Alvarez AP710SB
2012 Epiphone Sorrento Reissue
2013 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 06:42:54 PM »
Congratulations on your "new guitar day" and your "first Taylor guitar day" both. The HV is looking really nice, like many that we've seen here. The mini's sure are handy to have around. Now, let's get down to business and start figuring out what your second Taylor is going to be  ::). Have fun!
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

stepchildusmc

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 06:53:20 PM »
congrats on your HNGD ! I wonder just how many HV's are left ?????
Steppy
2008 NAMM Hot Rod(GA)
2013 spring ltd. 616 ce
2013 616 ce(honeyburst)
2011 Adamas 2080Sr
2014 324
2014 GS mini Hog
2013 GS mini Spruce
2014 GS mini Engelmann (HV)
only thing lacking is the talent !

129Jayman

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 07:02:02 PM »
congrats on your HNGD ! I wonder just how many HV's are left ?????

Did Taylor indicate how many were going to be made?

Jay

Maizydaizy

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 07:05:57 PM »
Hi Jay,
Yes, pretty sure the maple did come from one tree.
Dave Olson was the one who was trying to "save" or at least give a second life to the old growth englemann trees that were going to be cut down...so he was guessing which tree my top was from based on the striping pattern of the top. He couldn't be positive but it's still cool to know exactly where the trees were harvested from that made our minis. :)

This was my first Taylor too... And several weeks after that I had another one ::) , a 324 that I "accidentally" won in an ebay auction for a great price. Maybe you will have another at some point as well!

Maizydaizy

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 07:08:25 PM »
I thought I read that they were making 1000.

129Jayman

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2014, 09:53:04 PM »
. Now, let's get down to business and start figuring out what your second Taylor is going to be  ::). Have fun!

Well funny that you should mention that! I have been told, and you might like to hear this, Taylor is doing one of their clinics in Grand Rapids this October at Rainbow Music. I talked to the owner of RM and he confirmed that they will be doing this on a Thursday night. I may have some more slush fund money scrapped together by then. I am thinking a X14ce of some sort. Might be leaning toward the 214ce BLK DLX?  :)

Jay

toj

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2014, 10:05:31 PM »
. Now, let's get down to business and start figuring out what your second Taylor is going to be  ::). Have fun!

Well funny that you should mention that! I have been told, and you might like to hear this, Taylor is doing one of their clinics in Grand Rapids this October at Rainbow Music. I talked to the owner of RM and he confirmed that they will be doing this on a Thursday night. I may have some more slush fund money scrapped together by then. I am thinking a X14ce of some sort. Might be leaning toward the 214ce BLK DLX?  :)

Jay

That sounds good...

I am hoping to get a HV Mini before they are sold out as my second Taylor.
2001 Simon & Patrick Pro Folk
2003 Tacoma EKK19C
2012 Alvarez AP710SB
2012 Epiphone Sorrento Reissue
2013 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany

Redwood Tree

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2014, 04:14:54 AM »
129Jayman
 That is the best !... Love that engelmann top you recieved Beautiful ! And as usuall another Holden with exqusite Flame Maple . What a tree that one was. That is one impressive ...... Real. Small. Taylor.    Enjoy  :)
 I've had mine for a few weeks and I am supprised each time, Ok Not suprised Its just a Highly tuned  shape that just kick for it size. I noticed a mark differance with out a pick guard, to the better,   how pure 8)
Tom
"So Many Taylors Not Enough Talant"

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2014, 05:09:09 PM »

Jay
A 214ce blk dlx would be a fine choice! We get down to GR every so often.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2014, 06:32:42 PM »
Congrats on the new HV Mini - these really are nice-looking guitars. If one were available in my area, I'd be sorely tempted to add another Mini to my stable. Congrats and enjoy!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

129Jayman

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2014, 08:30:23 PM »
  Taylorgirl,

I think so too. If you should make the Taylor event at Rainbow Music that would be cool to meet and say hi. Should be a lot of fun. As I understand it, last year a few multi thousand dollar one of a kinds were sold at the event with $500 or more knocked off the price. I don't consider myself worthy of one of them but I would like to see one and check out the craftsmanship that goes into one.

Jay
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 09:43:11 AM by 129Jayman »