Author Topic: NGD: 2014 814CE  (Read 2306 times)

groberts

NGD: 2014 814CE
« on: July 07, 2014, 10:21:37 AM »
NGD: 2014 814CE

Back in the Taylor family! I was recently introduced to the new 800 Series Taylors and was blown away. I was unaware of the updates and enhancements to the 800 series until I visited a local dealer. I've played many Taylors in years past that I felt were too thin and lean sounding in the high strings, especially for lead solo's or upper fret playing.

The new 800 series not only addressed that issue, but the richness, projection, depth and balance seems great enhanced! The Rosewood Pickguard is a lovely appointment. Only time will tell how well it wears. But it sure looks stunning, as does the maple binding. Whether flamed or not, it is elegant and offsets the beautiful sitka spruce top magnificently!

The ES2 PU is what lead me to check out Taylors again since I gig amplified 95% of the time. I've been a fan and user of K&K Pure Western Mini PU's and have one on my Santa Cruz D/PW Hog/Spruce guitar. Imagine my surprise when I felt the ES2 PU not only equals it, it is infinitely more user friendly! The frequency centers on the tone controls seem ideal and just a little tweaking from the center detent in either direction sweetens the tone to what I need.

I applaud Bob Taylor and crew for their use of Ebony logs that would other wise be discarded, but I must admit, I find there are some ebony FB's that look a little more tasteful and appealing than a few that have discoloring in area's that look strange. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

My Fingerboard has a lovely marbled brown streak in one area and it makes the guitar unique and one of a kind. Very very nice!

The Sitka Spruce top is laden with tons of cross silk indicating how perfectly quarter sawn it is. This guitar projects a sweetness and richness with sparkle and clarity that is never thin. Very balanced sound! It is very inspiring to play!

GREAT service and price from Sweetwater!

I am Thrilled! Here are some actual Pics.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 03:44:16 PM by groberts »

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
Re: NGD: 2014 814CE
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 10:50:58 AM »
Let me be the first to congratulate you on this wonderful acquisition. She's a great-looking instrument. I too have test-driven the new 814 and was equally impressed. If this is any representation of the next generation of Taylor, then I say, bring it on!

Have fun!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

Redwood Tree

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 12:40:14 PM »
Hey thats beautiful, nice you've got one of the new 814s that recently under went at total make over , I like every thing Taylor has done, Tried a few times myself and think The 814 has come a long way.  Congrats . That maple binding has a nice glow to it. you got a good one. Enjoy
Tom
"So Many Taylors Not Enough Talant"

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 12:44:26 PM »
Welcome back to the Taylor family! Your new 814ce is just gorgeous. Your fretboard "streaking" is very classy.....and like you said, makes it unique. I love that one. Sounds like you are going the enjoy the heck out of your new Taylor....play on!
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

groberts

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 04:18:43 PM »
Thanks Everyone! I needed a cutaway acoustic that was rich and rewarding acoustically, but moreover, I needed a great acoustic for amplified gigs solo and Duo. The ES2 sounded so much better to me than the ES1 (through my QSC k10's) Easier to dial in a natural sound.

The Taylor neck profile plays like butter. So all roads lead me to Taylor. I love a great Martin, but with the cutaway, the sonic balance, the ES2 Electronics and the elegant, yet understated beauty of the maple binding, Rosewood Pickguard, Ebony Headstock ...... I was done at first strum.

Originally found an 814ce at my local shop that was sonically stunning. I just couldn't make peace with the particular ebony streak on one area of the fingerboard. But this guitar has lovely ebony fingerboard markings that are unique yet understated.

I've played 4 or 5 2014 800 Series Taylors and they are all superb. They seem very consistent and have what may be considered to be a classic voice for years to come. I am thrilled. Can't put it down!

As fate would have it, my gig at  Local Ritz Carlton Resort Golf Clubhouse was rained out on the patio last Saturday and I was asked to play unplugged / acoustic only inside.  A less guitar would have left me wanting. But I got several compliments ...including a $100 tip from one customer! We are off to a good start, this Taylor and I!  8)

Dulcilo

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 03:47:58 AM »
The new 800 series is impressing a lot of people. I am looking forward to hearing them at a Taylor roadshow soon. You are definitely off to a good start with yours!

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 12:25:50 PM »
 Congrats. I've seen a few streaked (marbled) ebony fretboards that I didn't care for, yours isn't one of them. 8) So, you gonna keep it? ;D
Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"

groberts

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 02:31:22 PM »
Congrats. I've seen a few streaked (marbled) ebony fretboards that I didn't care for, yours isn't one of them. 8) So, you gonna keep it? ;D

8) Oh yeah. This guitar is a keeper. Just gorgeous! Can't wait for it to open up a bit too ..as they all do. But even as it is, the guitar is resonant, has great projection, clarity, depth. A Wonderful instrument! First 'Duo' Gig tonight. We use a Mackie DL1608 Mixer w/iPad interfact and a pair of QSC K8's for mains with a QSC K10 as a Monitor. Can't wait!!