Author Topic: Taylor GC vs Ga in koa?  (Read 2946 times)

Guitardoc

Taylor GC vs Ga in koa?
« on: July 05, 2014, 02:02:59 PM »
I am thinking of getting a taylor all koa guitar.  Haven't played either yet (I will though). All things being equal, I have owned several GA model Taylor's but no 12 fret GC sizes.  Of those who have owned or played both, which do you like better and why.  Thx!

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
Re: Taylor GC vs Ga in koa?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 04:09:48 PM »
Well, the question really will be answered by what your main playing style is:  strumming or finger-picking.

Although I have both, I prefer the GA body.  Simply because I'm primarily a strummer.  The TF GC is easy to play, and can be strummed lightly (I don't even use a pick on mine), but I find gets easily overdriven with anything more than 'casual' strumming.
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

milo_otis

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 03:27:32 AM »
I agree that your main style is very important. Also important is your size relative to the guitar. Third is wood type and how much it compresses and its tonal balance.

For example, I sold off my cedar topped 514ce (since it was so easy to overdrive) and replaced it with a 522ce 12-fret (which I can't overdrive). An other example would be that I passed on K22s and K24s for a K26 due to the lack of bass response in the smaller body sizes.

Koa like mahogany seems to have a good amount of compression (though not quite as much) making it harder to overdrive.

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 10:58:05 AM »
... Third is wood type and how much it compresses and its tonal balance.

For example, I sold off my cedar topped 514ce (since it was so easy to overdrive) and replaced it with a 522ce 12-fret (which I can't overdrive). An other example would be that I passed on K22s and K24s for a K26 due to the lack of bass response in the smaller body sizes.

Koa like mahogany seems to have a good amount of compression (though not quite as much) making it harder to overdrive.

This is a good point that I neglected to bring up.  I should have mentioned that my TF CG has a 'Sinker' Redwood top, which is similar to Cedar.  My brother also has a TF GC (Redwood over Walnut), and the story is similar with his:  finger picking or light strumming (no pick) only.  My LTG (also a GC body) has a Sitka Spruce top, which I can strum a bit more aggressively (or lightly with a pick) without it getting overdriven.  But it's still essentially a finger-style guitar at heart, primarily due to the body size.

The larger bodies (GA, GS, GO) can deal with progressively more aggressive strumming, although personally I have yet to overdrive any of my GA or GS-12 guitars (all Spruce- or Koa-topped); and my Englemann-topped 510ce seems to sound better the harder I strum on it...  The exception to the body-size rule seems to be the GS Mini; I can strum on that thing just as aggressively as my other guitars and it sounds perfectly fine.
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

raa2173

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 07:27:06 PM »
I am thinking of getting a taylor all koa guitar.  Haven't played either yet (I will though). All things being equal, I have owned several GA model Taylor's but no 12 fret GC sizes.  Of those who have owned or played both, which do you like better and why.  Thx!

This might wet your appetite for the 12-fret GC Koa:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTeZ52Il6ZM

Its sounds "fuller" than a regular GC because the bridge is placed in the middle of the body. I personally haven't tried a 12-fret Koa before but I've been hearing good things about it.
2014 Taylor BTO All-Koa GC - "Blackacre"
2014 Taylor 312CE - "Barnie"

Guitardoc

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 10:41:01 PM »
I play mostly fingerstyle.  Can't wait to try the GC.  Love the GA though.

milo_otis

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 08:49:19 AM »
I play mostly fingerstyle.  Can't wait to try the GC.  Love the GA though.

Why not a K24 12-fret BTO for the best of both worlds?