Author Topic: The one you didn't pick....  (Read 1374 times)

geoawelch

The one you didn't pick....
« on: July 05, 2014, 08:28:46 AM »
This is probably a rhetorical question - Have you ever been haunted by the guitar you didn't select?

As mentioned in my first post, I am waiting for delivery on my first Taylor, a 322.

While checking out guitars the other day I was shown a heavily discounted (and discontinued) GA8 - it was about $XXX more than the 322.

I ultimately kept coming back to the 322 and she is the one I selected, but....

$
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 12:05:48 PM by UTGF-Team »
Taylor 412e-R LTD (2016)

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
Re: The one you didn't pick....
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 08:46:50 AM »
I ultimately kept coming back to the 322 and she is the one I selected
To answer your question, no.
But, I think you picked the right one, from the sounds of it.
Maybe you can go back and get the GA8 TOO  ;D.
I think once you get your 322, you'll be ok.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 10:55:30 AM »
Not really. I've owned so many really nice guitars, those are the ones I ponder when they are gone. Those that don't make it home I just count as "you can't buy em' all!
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 04:45:12 PM »
The one that I recall was almost 30 years ago.  I played a Martin D28 12 string in a music store once that both sounded great and played easily.  It was a financial stretch at the time, so I passed.  That one haunted my dreams until around 2005 when I found my Taylor 12 string that played even better.  By then I had gotten over any desire for Martin guitars (see my signature).
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 07:37:30 PM »
The more I learn about guitars, the more I learn about what actually works for me. I like what I like, so I have no regrets about guitars I didn't select, or even guitars I did select and later gave up. I love what I have now, and feel extremely confident in my next selection(s)!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

M19

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 09:19:06 AM »
Slightly different take, but at the beginning of the year I was strongly considering a McIlroy A25c at Shoreline, but I wasn't quite (financially) ready, and it sold before I was. Once the $ were in place, I bought my Lowden F32c and couldn't be happier.

Fast forward to yesterday, and I see that very same McIlroy for sale in the AGF classifieds. Quite a bit of pick damage for the price asked, IMHO. Made me (briefly) wonder...what if? Then I picked up the Lowden and played Fahey's Sunflower River Blues in Open C and thought...Lucky me!
Marty B.
Multi-Brand Owner

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 10:03:50 AM »
You know, I've always been a firm believer in something my dad told me long ago (that his mom told him).....things happen for a reason. It may be something negative at the time, but it happened for a reason. You may not understand it at the time, but God has a plan. Eventually, you'll see the reason. I look back on things in my life and it always seems to hold true.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!