Author Topic: new 314ce vs. s/h 414ce  (Read 7229 times)

eden

new 314ce vs. s/h 414ce
« on: December 12, 2011, 10:18:40 AM »
Hi everyone,

Basically I'm trying to choose between buying a new 314ce from a great guitar shop which offers great service and an included years worth of free guitar maintenance/ setups or buying a 1 year old  s/h 414ce from a guy who lives around an hour away from me.. I think if I went with buying the 414ce I would need to take it in to a guitar shop so it can be inspected?

What what you guys do? How much better is the wood on the 414?

Regards, Eden  ???

Scriptor

• Veteran Member
  • What His holiness demands, His grace has supplied
    • RickLangdon.com
Re: new 314ce vs. s/h 414ce
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 10:41:18 AM »
The only way I'd be able to answer this question would be to play both and decide which one I like better ... the other factors you mentioned only apply if both guitars are equally satisfying to you ...
-- Scriptor

Featured demo: http://www.ricklangdon.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/58-Weeping-in-Ramah-mix-2.mp3

For more very simple demos of original music recorded with Taylor guitars: http://www.ricklangdon.com

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 10:54:11 AM »
The only way I'd be able to answer this question would be to play both and decide which one I like better ... the other factors you mentioned only apply if both guitars are equally satisfying to you ...

This is perfect advice.  Whether you like the sound of sapele or ovangkol wood is a matter of personal choice.  Neither is better than the other.  Play them both.  Nothing else matters.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

barefooter

• West Virginia Hills
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 10:57:37 AM »
Hey eden,

I will start out by saying I've never played a 314ce, but have the 414ce.  I have to agree with scriptor about playing both and seeing which one speaks to you in tone.  The play-a-bility of each should be close if properly set-up.  The great service you have received in the past would go a long way for me, especially if the sound and cosmetics were close to one another with the two guitars.  And, a new guitar carries the warranty.  Sometimes it can be a difficult decision.  I thought a great deal about a 700, 800,a nd 900 series before I decided on the 814ce.  Each were great guitars, it just came down to making a decision of which one and I had input from my wife and daughter.

Enjoy your soon to be new guitar.  Sorry I couold give a report on the 314ce.
Tom
2005 T5 C2
2010 814ce Tobacco Burst
and a few other pieces of equipment
Romans 1:16

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 11:17:07 AM »
You've received some great advice already. Both sapele and ovangkol are types of African Mahogany. Sapele is closer in tone to Mahogany. Ovangkol is warmer in tone and has been compared to Rosewood with more bass, but it differs from Rosewood in that the mids are more noticeable. Here's info from Taylor's site on the differences in tone between body woods. I own both and love both. Neither one is better than the other...each is unique in their own right.

If the 414ce has any buzzing or if the action seems a little high, then the action might need to be tweaked slightly. Be sure to check for fret wear and look it all over good for any possible cracks. Here's a Taylor tech sheet on Symptons of a Dry Guitar. The 414ce might be in great shape. As long as you know what to look for, going used can yield excellent results! :)
Cindy

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 01:04:58 PM »
hi eden,

comparing the 2 to see which you prefer in terms of tone is a good start -
depending on the average relative humidity is (60+ % ?) where you are,
the 414ce (if i'm reading it correctly, is a 2010 model) may need to be looked
at to verify that the guitar does not exhibit signs of being overhumidified,
as this can have a negative impact on tone, playability & overall structure

here's one more link to add, to the excellent ones Cindy has already pointed out
http://www.taylorguitars.com/global/pdfs/10_SymptomsofaWetGuitar.pdf

if you like both guitars equally in terms of tone, i would consider factoring in what
the cost would be to the 414ce inspected/electronics tested & set-up, if needed -
if the difference is very close, having the assurance of the new guitar's warranty & knowing that the
shop will take care of you after the sale & will also be of help if any issues/concerns were to come up
in the future with the guitar & will look out for you on other purchases, that may be very worthwhile

if you like the 414ce better, you may want to try to negotiate with the shop on a
new 414ce, as there is a relatively small difference in list $ between the 2

in the end, i wish you good luck on your search &
please feel free to ask any questions you'd like -
we're all here to help each other out as best we can

g'day :D
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/