Author Topic: GS mini question  (Read 9108 times)

JimW

GS mini question
« on: June 28, 2014, 07:54:09 PM »
Are these as nice as I hear? I've never played one but I'm interested. My dealer has a couple on hand now and I want to try one. I also listened to some youtube video's and it did sound nice. Which one do you have and how do you like it?  Thanks
2007 R Taylor Indian Rosewood, Swiss Alpine Spruce
2014 Taylor 456ce SLTD 12 string Ovangkol , sitka spruce
2012 Ibanez AS103 custom semi hollowbody

Guitars, you only get out of it what you put into it :)

raa2173

Re: GS mini question
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 08:04:40 PM »
Are these as nice as I hear? I've never played one but I'm interested. My dealer has a couple on hand now and I want to try one. I also listened to some youtube video's and it did sound nice. Which one do you have and how do you like it?  Thanks

I read somewhere that they're Taylor's most popular guitar shape right now (correct me if i'm wrong). Wouldn't surprise me if they sound "fuller" than Taylor's GCs. On a side note, I just found the "Holy Grail" of GS Mini's and its an all-koa (probably solid wood) guitar made especially for Ms. Taylor Swift:

http://tayswiftstyle.com/post/66923629509
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 08:06:51 PM by raa2173 »
2014 Taylor BTO All-Koa GC - "Blackacre"
2014 Taylor 312CE - "Barnie"

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 08:04:48 PM »
I've experienced the same thing a lot of other GS mini owners have:  that once the glow of excitement wears off, we tend to play them a lot less than we did when we first got them.  They sound good for the price, but you won't confuse it for a high end guitar, although there's no shame in that.  They play well, despite the medium-gauge strings.  I tend to leave mine out on a stand, and it has evolved into mainly a "grab guitar," when I need to figure something out quickly or just bang out a few chords.  The narrow nut width takes a little getting used to, especially if you're switching back and forth between a mini and a guitar with a standard nut width.  I have the original Sitka model, and I'm fine with using it the way I do.  I can also see that it would be very suitable as a campfire guitar or the primary guitar for a small person.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

EllaMom

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 10:00:02 PM »
I've had my Holden Village GS Mini (available only thru the Taylor website) all of 24+ hours. I'm 5'4" and so really like the smaller body. It has a nice sound. I'm no expert though. Certainly not the same as my dreads or my Wechter, but so playable! And I often practice very softly anyway, so it suits me very well.
Holden Village GS Mini
Wechter Traditional
Alvarez AP70
Seagull S6
Teton STS105NT
Taylor Baby

All lefties!

Fire

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 10:11:56 PM »

I read somewhere that they're Taylor's most popular guitar shape right now (correct me if i'm wrong). Wouldn't surprise me if they sound "fuller" than Taylor's GCs. On a side note, I just found the "Holy Grail" of GS Mini's and its an all-koa (probably solid wood) guitar made especially for Ms. Taylor Swift:

Captions notwithstanding, that All-Koa looks more like a GC rather than a GS Mini.

2011 Taylor FLTD GA Koa 12-Fret
2015 Taylor T5z Pro
2015 Martin 000-15m

stepchildusmc

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 10:12:25 PM »

I just found the "Holy Grail" of GS Mini's and its an all-koa (probably solid wood) guitar made especially for Ms. Taylor Swift:

okay, okay, that definitely beats my HV.... sigh... now I'm on the hunt for yet another Mini !!
Steppy
2008 NAMM Hot Rod(GA)
2013 spring ltd. 616 ce
2013 616 ce(honeyburst)
2011 Adamas 2080Sr
2014 324
2014 GS mini Hog
2013 GS mini Spruce
2014 GS mini Engelmann (HV)
only thing lacking is the talent !

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 10:16:25 PM »
I've had my spruce mini for over 3 years and it still gets a lot of play time. Whether its at home on the couch, jammin' with the neighborhood gang, or traveling in the motorhome, it does its job well. It has surprising volume and a great voice. Is it a full-sized Taylor....no, but it is more than what you might expect. I'm a fingerstyle player 99% of the time and I just picked up a mini hog. A bit warmer than the spruce and with no pickguard it looks sweet. They definitely are nice to have.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 10:20:25 PM »
from my perspective, the gs mini is a rather unique guitar -
the sc firefly & ca cargo are similar in dimensions, but they
have very different construction methods, $ points & markets

the mini slots in between the baby & big baby, in terms of size & scale length, but
the extra $ adds a full NT neck, top purfling, the option of either an onboard EQ
or an easily added, pickup, & a much more substantial/rugged/protective hardbag case

i would venture to guess that the mini is currently Taylor's most popular model,
in terms of production volume & sales, & it is a very capable, versatile & portable
guitar with a projection & richness of tone that is impressive, especially for it's size -
other builders have taken notice (takamine, walden, alvarez, eastman) & have added
similar size models to their lineups as well, but they seem to be more of a compromise

the mini may  have possibly had more appeal, to some, if it was a 12 fret model
with a longer scale (24+") & 1 3/4", but for 99+% of the general public, it's doubtful
that it would be as widely a popular model, or sold as many, in that configuration -
the parlor guitar was offered as a LTD for one small run & it is not the Custom menu

the all koa, PS trimmed guitar in the link looks to have a longer body overall, with a
tighter waist & smaller soundhole than the mini (the proportions are definitely different)
http://38.media.tumblr.com/028654c61c1f5486d64b71896ca0564b/tumblr_mw6vm9nV1a1r4fk4fo1_1280.jpg

at the mini's $ point, with either the es-go pickup or the mini e-RW,
the other 2 Taylor options are the 110 or 114e, which have body binding,
rosewood headstock overlays, 25.5" scale. 4 5/8" body depth & padded gigbag -
in terms of depth, volume, articulation & being able to cut through a mix :o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrRQNhpPo18

try to find one to play to see if you like it -
a good number of folks around here seem to like them, especially the HV version

ymmv
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Ciarre

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 11:10:03 PM »
I bought my HV mini specifically to play when I had a few spare minutes. It has a very nice tone for a small bodied guitar, but it probably won't be in the same ballpark as the ones you own already. But it's great for what it is and the Holden had the extra perk (and a little extra cost) of contributing to a worthy cause.

Frettingflyer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 02:01:32 PM »
I have had the spruce topped for 3 3/4 years and the HV for a month. They are both great, I travel every week and over half my playing time is on a Mini. I think the first one will mostly be a "grab" guitar for the house now though or used on trips where I don't want to risk the HV.
The HV has more volume or presence, I'm not good with descriptions but it is impressive for its size. I still really love my old one too. As noted, not a full size Taylor, a little less bass perhaps but a joy to play.
Try them out, and don't forget to consider the HV.
Dave
2014 Koa GS Mini-e FLTD (for the wife)
2004 314ce,
2014 custom GC Coco/Euro spruce
2015 Wildwood 812ce 12 fret
2016 522ce 12 fret
2019 K24ce BE
2021 322e
2017 Blackbird Lucky 13
2019 Mcpherson Sable

JimW

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 02:15:59 PM »

I'm going to try one. With the HV I like the Engleman top but haven been a fan of maple. Now, if it was rosewood and engleman i'd be all over it!
2007 R Taylor Indian Rosewood, Swiss Alpine Spruce
2014 Taylor 456ce SLTD 12 string Ovangkol , sitka spruce
2012 Ibanez AS103 custom semi hollowbody

Guitars, you only get out of it what you put into it :)

pjroberts

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 02:28:23 AM »

I'm going to try one. With the HV I like the Engleman top but haven been a fan of maple. Now, if it was rosewood and engleman i'd be all over it!

It is not maple - it is the same basic back and side material as the other GSMs really, because it is a laminate. The top layer of the laminate, which gives its visual cues, is Pacific NW Maple, but the rest is the standard laminate that should contribute same tonal attributes as the others, which is probably not the differentiating character -- so I wouldn't let that stop you unless you don't like the look.  The Englemann gives it a unique standout tone.

For me it is a great traveller, but I miss the wider nut. I use it a lot though because I'm traveling so much now. I think it offers the most of the compact traveller guitars, tho I have not played any of the folding necks, like the Journey.
pj roberts | austin
Taylor 814ce [2015]  |  GS Mini Holden Valley
Others: SCGC, Martin, Collings, Halcyon & Goodall

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 10:06:10 AM »
I bought one of the original GSM's and really enjoyed it until I traded it on my K66.......I love the 12 string but always missed the Mini.  I wanted a hog one but just really don't like the back of the hog models.  If they used hog laminate instead of the sapele....well, it would have me at hello.

Then the HV model came out.  I have always loved the look of maple but not a big fan of the sound, when I got my K66 I was able to A/B it with a 656, the 656 was stunningly gorgeous and I really wanted to like it but it was just too bright for me.

So I like the mini for many reasons.   Is a small guitar I can play on the couch or take with me easily, the price point is nice, and it's the maple guitar I wanted to add.  It's laminate so I really don't think the woods make any difference in sound, just looks.  And a portion of the cost goes to a good cause.

Go play - and have them played for you - the ones the shop has and see what you think.

sonicbaker

• Sonicbaker Guitars, Ukes, Basses
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2014, 10:36:54 AM »
I was facing a week long vacation to visit extended family on the other side of the country with no guitars! Let's just say the word "vacation" is stretching it. Took a look at my GS Mini and decided to bring it along. No problem putting it in the overhead bins on both flights (though you want to get early boarding on Southwest to make sure there will be room in the bins...well worth the $10 fee) and my mini has made the week very pleasant. Some relatives hauled out their own full size guitars of various mid-level pedigrees and were getting blown away by how nice the GS Mini sounds. So...it's an especially excellent travel guitar, while not compromising quality sound. I'm really glad I have one...the original Sitka version.
✫2004 Taylor 354ce L-7✫2010Martin HD-28 ✫2011 Martin D-18 ✫2012 Martin 00-15M ✫2011 Taylor GS Mini✫

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2014, 11:22:52 AM »
Sonicbaker:   We have always made the distinction between vacations (fun) and family visits (duty).  Two different animals entirely, and we do like our families.  Glad your GS Mini could help.  Ours is a mahogany top.  Had a spruce top GSM a couple of years ago and sold it off, but the wife fell for the mahogany tone.  I concur that the body woods make almost no tonal difference, being laminates, but the tops.....
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby