Author Topic: Market Trends  (Read 1319 times)

ARGARY

Market Trends
« on: June 17, 2014, 01:03:30 PM »
I have always been interested in where the guitar market seems to be going and trying to understand why.  Two years ago I noticed that the market was moving away from solid body electrics  (soft sales and soft prices) to acoustic electrics (strong sales & prices).   After testing the jumbo, dreadnaught, auditorium, concert, parlor and mini markets, the cutaways vs. non-cutaways, the electric acoustic vs. acoustic only markets, the passive vs. active pickup systems (including blends).  I found the strongest part of the market was in auditorium and concert size, single cutaway, active pickup (preferably blended) systems and for Taylors the most popular seemed to be the 214ce and 314ce models.

Recently, I have been able to refine this a bit further, in that I have found sunburst and shaded (Martin's retro coloration) models command much better prices than fine Sitka spruce tops (believe it or not, based on my results the more "bear claw" a top has the lower the value in the general market).  So right now a sunburst 214ce is a "hot" model.

Solid wood bodies, especially Indian rosewood, remain preferable.  Surprisingly, sapele bodies sell as well as rosewood.

Laminates and non-USA manufacturing still are not well accepted.

Lastly, there is definitely a trend towards accepting less than a wooden hard case with a quality guitar like a Taylor.

Anybody else noticed any trends in the market recently?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 04:33:36 PM by UTGF-Team »

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
Re: MARKET TRENDS
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 02:11:45 PM »
I'm not an expert in this area (I don't tend to follow the trends).....but aren't 12-fret models doing really well now?
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

tedtan

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 10:18:33 AM »
This may apply to the higher end market, but if you look at the overall guitar market (acoustic and electric) you'll see that Pac Rim guitars easily outsell the US made guitars because they are priced significantly lower in most cases.

fmbstrummer

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 03:12:05 PM »
It seems that all hog or hog topped guitars are selling briskly.  True or just my imagination? 

FMB

ctkarslake

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 11:42:59 AM »
Argary, I am curious what you are looking at during your research to come up with the conclusions you did. 
1989 712
1992 410
1992 412
1995 410
1995 422
1996 412-M
1996 450
1997 412
1997 420-R
2007 GC3

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 02:38:42 AM »
Argary, I am curious what you are looking at during your research to come up with the conclusions you did.
+1
the 214ce has always been a laminate/layered back & sides model, which was made in tecate starting in 09 -
the GS mini has been selling exceptionally well with the hardbag (production had to be upped to 100 a day at one point)

the baby model is being produced at 50 a day, since 96 if i'm not mistaken, the 200s
has been expanded to the DLX models, which have a hardshell case & the 150e appears
to be set to really do well, with the ES1 system, solid sapele neck, ebony fretboard & bridge -
other offerings in a similar $ range lack a case of any kind, with simpler electronics & more manufactured materials
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/martin-x-series-d12x1ae-12-string-dreadnought-acoustic-electric-guitar

This may apply to the higher end market, but if you look at the overall guitar market (acoustic and electric) you'll see that Pac Rim guitars easily outsell the US made guitars because they are priced significantly lower in most cases.
smc music is the largest manufacturer, in terms of volume, of acoustic guitars & has been for a while
(not just the samick brand), so there are more of them out there, with the $ point starting below a baby T
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/