Author Topic: New guy and this is my first post.  (Read 1159 times)

129Jayman

New guy and this is my first post.
« on: June 16, 2014, 06:15:04 PM »
Hi folks!

I am new to playing guitars. I started on Christmas of this year. My lovely wife got me a guitar as a gift and I have been at it every day for at least an hour a day trying to learn. I am taking lessons from a very seasoned instructor and that is going well for me. At the shop were I take my lessons they are Taylor dealers (Rainbow Music, Grand Rapids, MI). I get there early and handle the guitars before my lesson.

I was looking at the GS Mini and thinking that I need one for a camping trip that we have coming up as it is smaller than my Washburn guitar. After looking the GS Minis over I started looking at some of the other Taylors and have guitar lust for many of the other models as well.

I think that I will be starting with a GS Mini for travel and camping and probably will haul it back and forth from my lessons and will go from there. I signed up to learn more about Taylor guitars.

So that is how I got here.  :)

Jay

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
Re: New guy and this is my first post.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 07:43:30 PM »
Welcome Jay-

There's no shortage of Taylor info here...enjoy the journey!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 08:03:33 PM »
Hi Jay. Used to have a place near GR. Born and raised in Lansing. Now retired in Gaylord. Nice to have you here....you will learn all about Taylor guitars. The folks here are friendly, fun, and knowledgeable. Oh, there's a lot of love for the Mini here too.....got 2 myself.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

mdittenber

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 08:05:11 PM »
Welcome, I am noob here too.

If I am not mistaken I had a neck replaced on an old Kramer guitar at Rainbow Music about 20+ years ago.  I didn't know they were still around.  I was born in Alma, MI and spent quite a few years in Battle Creek, MI after I got out of the Marine Corps.

129Jayman

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 08:18:12 PM »
Ah cool, thanks for the welcome guys. I live in GR now and hope to be moving to the outskirts soon. As my wife and I just bought some land West of here.

Rainbow is a great place to go for guitar stuff. I bought my Washburn there and I have a Fender amp (Super Champ x2) that came from them too. I play a Epiphone Les Paul '60s Tribute Plus also.

I played trombone when I was in school and learned how to read music then. I had an uncle that played guitar in a band for most of his life and always wanted to learn how to play guitar but never really tried until my wife got me my guitar at Christmas. That being said, I am not just a new guy here but really a new guy to guitar playing. I will admit that I am glad that I was in the school band when I was younger. That helped alot when trying to remember music theory.

Are there any more Michigan folk around here?

Jay

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 08:25:44 PM »
Next time you're in Lansing you'll have to check out Elderly Instruments (if you haven't already).
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 08:37:36 PM »
 Hi Jay. Welcome to the UTGF. Keep on playing and have fun. :)

My ex was from Parma. I've been to Alma, Lansing, Jackson, Holt, Flint (Angelo's, yum). Glad I don't have to make that drive anymore. ;D
Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"

129Jayman

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 08:55:15 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome.

I have not been to Elderly Instruments yet. I will remember to look for it when I make it to Lansing.

CodeBlue, not sure where Parma is at but I have heard of it. I have been to the rest on your list though. I used to shoot long range pistol matches in Alma, took classes at MSU, have an uncle in Jackson and dated a girl from Flint.  ;D And luckily for me I don't have to go there anymore either!  ;)

Jay

stepchildusmc

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 09:40:06 PM »
welcome in. this ain't a bad place to hang and learn a few things( probably not from me, I'm in the friendly, fun camp... fknowledgeable is everyone else' dept.- I got the 3 F's in !)
Steppy
2008 NAMM Hot Rod(GA)
2013 spring ltd. 616 ce
2013 616 ce(honeyburst)
2011 Adamas 2080Sr
2014 324
2014 GS mini Hog
2013 GS mini Spruce
2014 GS mini Engelmann (HV)
only thing lacking is the talent !

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 02:31:02 PM »
Welcome to the forum Jay.  I enjoy my GS Mini, and take it camping always.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.