Author Topic: What is it with slot heads?  (Read 5086 times)

Dulcilo

What is it with slot heads?
« on: June 12, 2014, 12:03:13 PM »
I am looking at guitars online for an eventual upgrade and am finding a LOT of slot head guitars that would otherwise be exactly what I would want in a smaller bodied guitar. But I don't really like the look of a slot head.

Is the slot head becoming more popular, or is it just that there are so many in inventory because people aren't buying them?

Are they really harder to change strings, as I've heard? I know it can be on a ukulele, but those nylon strings are slippery! Your thoughts are welcome, as my "next guitar" will be a big purchase for this newbie.

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
Re: What is it with slot heads?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 12:23:12 PM »
You usually find slot heads on 12-fret and (often) on short-scale guitars.  The theory is that by putting the string in the slot instead of on the face of the headstock, the increased break angle will have a positive effect on tone.  My primary guitar is a slot head 12-fret, and while I'm completely used to changing strings on it, it's never as easy as changing strings on a paddle head.

A lot of people like slot heads for the retro look.  I'm not a fan.  I ordered my 12-fret one month before Taylor decided to make paddle heads available on custom orders.  Had I known, I would have waited and got a paddle head.

This, of course, is only my opinion.  Other people love the looks of slots and don't mind the incrementally more-difficult string changes.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

catan

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 01:01:19 PM »
I hated changing strings on my violin, so no I won't be getting a slot-head :)
Gear:
2011 Taylor 414ce Fall LTD (Sitka/EIR)
Fishman Loudbox Mini

milo_otis

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 01:24:35 PM »
Though I don't love changing the strings on them, I definitely love the slotted headstocks on my Taylors. I wish my GS had one to match my nylon GA and my GC 12 fret.

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 01:24:49 PM »
Yessir, it's a look that harkens back to old guitar-making.  Like all things aesthetic, it's in the eyes of the beholder.  I personally love the look, and changing strings is easy once you know how.  But it clearly isn't everyone's thing :)

Edward

guitarsrsoawesome

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 05:31:28 PM »
I have a 12 fret slot head martin 000-15sm that I love.  Changing the strings does take me a hair more time, but the more I've done it, the easier it's become whereby it really is no big deal.  On this particular guitar the slot-head looks really good because it has such a retro look.  Though it's not a short scale, the guitar still feels very easy to play and to get tone out of.  Not sure if the angle from the nut has anything to do with that or not, but I'd like to think so...
November 2013 Taylor 514ce ES2
November 2011 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany

jpmist

• Soundcloud
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 01:07:20 PM »
I used to dislike the look of slot-heads, needlessly arcane and fussy looking. But now I have one and I don't really mind it at all. Given a choice between paddle and slot at the same price, I'd pick slothead.

I hate reading that people say it slotheads take longer to string. It takes me no longer to string a slot head than a paddle head. I precut and bend the strings prior to winding and I've found that toothpicks really help in keeping the non-wound strings from slipping out when you first wind then up.

There are practical advantages to a slothead. The headstock is lighter from all that missing wood and I've found it's easier to tune more precisely as the peg is much thicker than the tuning peg on a paddlehead. And I really like that all the keys turn with the exact same hand/wrist motion as opposed to having to switch over for the two sides of a paddlehead.
Taylor 322CE, Larrivee OO-05, Larrivee OOV-03, Strats
https://soundcloud.com/jpmist/got-cover

Leftyb

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 01:51:41 PM »
Only my .02 cents but, I really like the look of the slot head and because I actually enjoy changing strings, it never bothered me, none in my current stable, but always on the lookout.

2010 Huss Dalton CM12 Cocobola/Engelmann
GS Mini E Walnut
1995 Gallagher Special 71
2008 Collings OM2HA
Collings UT-1 Uke
ALL LEFT HANDED

davwir

• A Coco-nut
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2014, 02:25:57 PM »
Yessir, it's a look that harkens back to old guitar-making.  Like all things aesthetic, it's in the eyes of the beholder.  I personally love the look, and changing strings is easy once you know how.  But it clearly isn't everyone's thing :)

Edward

My sentiments exactly. I think its a classic and fantastic look. And that the difficulty of changing strings is sometimes exaggerated a bit. Its easy next to playing a guitar!

nopicknick

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 10:54:32 PM »
I don't own a slotted headstock but wouldn't shy away from it. I am one of the lucky players that a regular set of strings last a long time. So as a Elixir user I might change strings 3 times a year.... ;D
Taylor GSmini Koa
Taylor GSmini daughter's
Taylor GSmini hog other daughter's

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2014, 10:50:26 AM »
I have both paddle and slot-head guitars. Like both. After changing strings many times, slot-head is no more trouble (there were a few bandaids at first).

I wouldn't let someone else's esthetic opinion affect your decision. Go with what you like to look at. The string changing thing will work itself out.
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2014, 01:47:24 PM »
All my smaller bodied guitars have slot heads. I love the look, even if they take a tad longer to restring.  They do seem to go out of tune more quickly than my paddle head guitars with equivalent quality tuners.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 01:49:02 PM by Jersey tuning »
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

stepchildusmc

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2014, 09:09:36 PM »
slot-heads are great for fingerpickers...no, really... every time I change the strings, I pick my fingers ! the little blood droplets really set off the coloring of the headstock !  :-X
Steppy
2008 NAMM Hot Rod(GA)
2013 spring ltd. 616 ce
2013 616 ce(honeyburst)
2011 Adamas 2080Sr
2014 324
2014 GS mini Hog
2013 GS mini Spruce
2014 GS mini Engelmann (HV)
only thing lacking is the talent !