Author Topic: "Best Amp" For A T5-Z?  (Read 7955 times)

je00143

"Best Amp" For A T5-Z?
« on: June 09, 2014, 01:56:43 AM »
I bought my T5-Z about a month ago and am extremely delighted to have it.  I am in three different camps - I play rhythm guitar in two 18-piece big bands.  I have a trio where we back a female singer for more intimate
venues. Then I play rock with the grandkids. So I can use at least four of the five switch selections.....

I have had the use of a Fender Acoustasonic 150 and that seems too work pretty well for just about anything I want to do.  Still, I am curious whether there is anything better or that has been more flexible.  Any thoughts?

Please forgive me if this is plowed ground - I am new to the forum as well as the instrument.......Thank you.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 01:58:51 AM by je00143 »
Proud owner of a 2014 T5-Z!

2007 Taylor Baby
Gibson ES-140T-¾ 1958 vintage

milo_otis

Re: "Best Amp" For A T5-Z?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 05:46:02 PM »
Hello. Welcome to the forum and congrats on your guitar!

It all really depends on what types of sounds you're looking for. Are the big bands jazz bands? Are you looking for something that stays really clean, sounds really fat,  breaks up when pushed or all of the above?

Most amps that aren't modeling amps can do one or two things really well and have their sound. Modeling amps seem to do most things ok, but nothing really well IMO. For example, a Blues Junior, Bassman, AC30, Marshall Plexi and Bose L1 all have the one or two things that they are known for and do really well. You'd never try to get a Blues Junior to sound like a Marshall Plexi. However, you might get a Line 6 to sound like a facsimile of either one.

A Yamaha acoustic modeling amp could cover a good amount of ground too. There are plenty of options like AER Compact 60 and 90, Acoustic Image Clarus with Raezer's Edge cabinets, Fender Jazz Master Ultralight, Polytone, Ultrasounds, Fishman SA220 or Loudboxes, Bose L1, Roland, Genz Benz, etc., BUT if you like the Acoustasonic and it works for you, I'm not sure that you need to look much further. Don't get me wrong, I love my Fishman Performer and know that it is the acoustic amp that I've been waiting for, but if you already have something that works for most of your situations, that very well could be your answer.

je00143

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 07:09:59 PM »
Thank you!  I appreciate your comments. 

I enjoy the Acoustasonic 150.  It gets the job done quite nicely, and I don't have to schlep a ton of gear.  I used to have a Roland JC-120, but when my age exceeded its weight (62 lb), then I went on to something else.  I had a Fender Jazzmaster Ultralight, which was wonderful for what it did, namely play very clean and very loud. Definitely not for rock.  I have a Roland Cube 80-XL, which is a pretty good modeling amp.  But as you said, a modeling amp it is a jack of all trades and master of none, especially on the acoustic setting. Well, for my ears, at least.

The 150 does let me drive the big band pretty well on the Blackface setting.  My solos can be heard, and the rhythm stuff is clean as can be.  This is about 75% of where I spend my playing time.  The dreadnaught setting lets me work with the singer pretty well. So as I said, I am pretty happy.  I am still looking around, though, just in case the amp to end all amps comes along.

It has been suggested that I get two amps and an AB-X switch, but then I would be back to either needing a big cart or a roadie. When one is 74 and still gigging, it becomes a factor......
Proud owner of a 2014 T5-Z!

2007 Taylor Baby
Gibson ES-140T-¾ 1958 vintage

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 10:52:22 PM »
Actively gigging at 74 ...you, sir, deserve a standing O! :D
(I hope to be this fortunate  :) )

I've gone through the gamut of many an amp in the past ...it's all about flavors, so very personalized.  But for lush tone and serious versatility, you simply cannot go wrong with a MesaBoogie IMHO and experience.  They have a wide range of models to fit about any palate, but I'd be willing to bet you'd do very well with either a LoneStarSpecial or an Espress 5:50 (seriously versatile on the express!).  Both are 2-channel, 12" combos, heavy but not terribly so, and mesa has quick-release castors you can add that have been saving my back for decades now.  Find them at a dealer or GC and bring your T5 for a test drive.

Oh, and welcome to the board!!

Edward

davidjudd2

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 01:02:19 PM »
For what it's worth, the new Quilter amps are very versatile and Light! Check them out.

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 06:08:12 PM »
Well if you are going to do some gigs then maybe this will be the set up for you.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.