Author Topic: Just Received My New GS Mini Hog  (Read 1381 times)

Artcore

Just Received My New GS Mini Hog
« on: June 07, 2014, 12:25:11 AM »
My first impressions are very positive. 

First, the construction is really impressive for a $XXX guitar.  Although the sides and back are laminate, it still looks great!  The mahogany top is beautiful, and really does round out the sound a little as compared to the spruce version.

I was blown away by how much this little beast actually projects.  I had heard it was impressive, but you have to play it to truly appreciate it! 

I'm also loving the ebony they used for the fret board and bridge.  Very nice touch!

The only thing that was a little disappointing, is how high the action is.  It really surprised me that it would pass QC with action that high.  Oh well, in the scheme of things, this isn't not too big of a deal.  Once I get the action lowered, I think it will be just about perfect!

Cheers!

$
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 12:51:39 AM by UTGF-Team »
Mark

2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard
2008 Ibanez  AK95
1978 Ibanez ST100
2014 GS mini (mahogany)

Lizzy

• Veteran Member
Re: Just Received My New GS Mini Hog
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 01:42:28 AM »
Congrats! I got a mini hog not too long ago too. I love it! My action is pretty nice but there is a luthier I take my guitars to for tweaking so I will do that soon. I also put D'Addario PB EXP 16's (12-53's) on mine and am quite pleased with how it sounds. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine!

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 06:54:35 AM »
Congrats on your new mini hog. My husband surprised me with a mini spruce 3 years ago that I love. It plays like a dream, travels well, and holds it's own in neighborhood jams. Since I'm predominately a fingerstyle player, I decided I needed a hog mini. So, I just picked one up. So, now I have mini siblings. They are great guitars indeed. Enjoy it, you'll find the love affair grows the more you have it..
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 11:53:53 AM »
You know, I was going to say you needed to post pics of your new mini hog. But, we'll let it slide, since it's your new avatar. However, if you want to post some pics that are larger, we always love seeing the Taylor eye candy.  :o
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!