Author Topic: HighZ/LowZ A/B switch  (Read 2972 times)

3dognate

HighZ/LowZ A/B switch
« on: June 02, 2014, 09:55:22 AM »
The problem: Taylor's ES system functions and sounds it's best with a TRS cable inserted for optimum output gain. This is great when running straight to the mixer. However if you have  a pedal effect or in my case a T.C. Helicon VoiceLive Play GTX, the ES system is less than stellar with a TS cable into a High Impedance input device (Low output and a lack of high end 'Zing'.). It's even worse when you need to switch between non-Taylor guitars with HighZ output. I found that if I run the Taylor via TRS>XLR cable into a LoZ|HighZ Converter then I get the gain that I should with the ES... But my other guitar doesn't function with a TRS cable. So switching guitars is still a problem live.

The Solution: I robbed the transformer from my LoZ|HighZ converter and the Transformer from a passive DI and made myself an A/B Switch that has a TRS LoZ input and a TS HighZ input along with HighZ output and a LoZ D.I. output. An A/B Switch and a Mute button and LED Indicators. ( A Tuner out would be good for some, but not necessary in my case as I have a Mutable tuner on my VoiceLive Play GTX and a headstock Tuner.)

This is a device that Taylor should have put out a LONG time ago... My woes with the ES electronics is now over.

milo_otis

Re: HighZ/LowZ A/B switch
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 01:59:30 PM »
That's brilliant! How difficult is it to do?

I think you could make the pedals and put them on the market.

Gutch

• Veteran Member
    • www.davegutshall.com
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 01:59:55 PM »
Nifty contraption -- Nice work!   :)

I like running balanced lines as much as possible with ES for the same reasons.  Two things work well on my pedal board.

First,  I normally bring two guitars with me -- Most gigs get a six string acoustic and 12 string acoustic.  When sitting in with another band, I'll bring my T5 along with an acoustic.  Either way, both are ES based.  Radial does a great job with their balanced A/B box --  Musician's Friend Link

Second, if I need to go to Hi Z unbalanced mode, I'll drop one of these at the end of my XLR cable...

Less than XXXXX at Radio Shack.  Maintains the volume and tone quality and is easy to carry in the gig bag for most any situation.

$
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 07:19:05 PM by mgap »
‎"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything."
-- Plato

3dognate

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 03:09:53 PM »
That's brilliant! How difficult is it to do?

I think you could make the pedals and put them on the market.

It wasn't hard to do at all, I just winged the whole thing. I just made sure the transformers were wired correctly, drilling took the most time to do. An I have zero ambition to make these for others... just don't have the time and inclination to source the transformers and sit a drill and solder all day. The concept is easy... I sent it to Taylor.. they can run with it if they want... it's a solution pretty specific to Taylor ES systems.

Nifty contraption -- Nice work!   :)
Thank you

I like running balanced lines as much as possible with ES for the same reasons.  Two things work well on my pedal board.

First,  I normally bring two guitars with me -- Most gigs get a six string acoustic and 12 string acoustic.  When sitting in with another band, I'll bring my T5 along with an acoustic.  Either way, both are ES based.  Radial does a great job with their balanced A/B box --  Musician's Friend Link

Second, if I need to go to Hi Z unbalanced mode, I'll drop one of these at the end of my XLR cable...

Less than XXXX at Radio Shack.  Maintains the volume and tone quality and is easy to carry in the gig bag for most any situation.

If I didn't have to use a High Z fishman quipped guitar and a Taylor ES into the same rig... then the Low to High Z adapter would have been sufficient. But running dissimilar gutiars made me need to do something to adapt to the situation.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 07:20:04 PM by mgap »

walter_dh

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 08:33:19 AM »
Congratulation on your brilliant work. A fine handcrafting, by the way: the box seems rugged and the labels are helpful when you have to set the rig in minutes, as it usually happens before a gig.
I am trying to solve a similar problem with my 312 and your solution is a huge innovation.
Thanks for sharing :-)
The time I kill is killing me.

3dognate

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 02:51:18 PM »
Congratulation on your brilliant work. A fine handcrafting, by the way: the box seems rugged and the labels are helpful when you have to set the rig in minutes, as it usually happens before a gig.
I am trying to solve a similar problem with my 312 and your solution is a huge innovation.
Thanks for sharing :-)

Thanks.

ZillaG

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 09:04:21 AM »
So how do you connect your Taylor then to your box, and what setting do you use to connect to the VLP GTX? I mean do you use TRS->TRS from Taylor to LoZ input of your box (and choose that setting), and then TS->TS from HiZ out of your box to input of VLP GTX? What is the XLRM connection for, for LoZ  XLR connection to a mixer?
Taylor T5 Classic Mahogany
Taylor 816ce

MrHarryReems

• The Kilt Lifters
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 03:44:54 PM »
The balanced out on my Taylor is the bane of my life.  I use a TRS cable/Transformer combo, but really wish I could just use my wireless.
Aloha!

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2015, 08:55:52 PM »
I'm glad this solved your problems for your rig.

But I have never ever had problem, nor experienced any tonal deficit whatsoever, from using the unbalanced out from any ES1 guitar.  Sure I got lots more gain by going balanced, but never once heard any sonic improvement from doing so.  Everyone's setup differs so whatever works for one's specific use is right.  But the premise that the ES sounds better via a balanced out is still one I've never been able to confirm in my experience, FWIW.  :)

Edward
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 08:58:10 PM by Edward »

MrHarryReems

• The Kilt Lifters
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2015, 02:34:45 PM »
I'm glad this solved your problems for your rig.

But I have never ever had problem, nor experienced any tonal deficit whatsoever, from using the unbalanced out from any ES1 guitar.  Sure I got lots more gain by going balanced, but never once heard any sonic improvement from doing so.  Everyone's setup differs so whatever works for one's specific use is right.  But the premise that the ES sounds better via a balanced out is still one I've never been able to confirm in my experience, FWIW.  :)

Edward

The real problem is the half gain signal, especially when you're playing in a group with other instruments.
Aloha!