Author Topic: Taylor 818e and Collings CJ - talk me down from the ledge?  (Read 3560 times)

jfwund

Taylor 818e and Collings CJ - talk me down from the ledge?
« on: June 01, 2014, 02:28:39 PM »
About 6 weeks ago, I was traveling on business and had the opportunity to spend some time playing guitars at the Chicago Music Exchange. While I played quite a few amazing instruments (anyone want to buy me that 1958 strat?), I was blown away by the Collings CJ. So much so, that here I am 6 weeks later and I'm still thinking about it. I played a number of them, and while a 15-year old used one was clearly a standout, they were all quite nice, leading me to think that they would develop or break in as they aged.

It's been on my mind enough that I've been thinking about how I might add a CJ to my guitar "family," and the primary conclusion I can draw is that I would need to sell my 2013 Taylor 818e first edition. While this isn't something I would be immediately opposed to, it's obviously not a step to take lightly -- that 818e is a very nice guitar indeed.

I'd love to hear players' experience with the Collings CJ, what you think the pros and cons are, how you would describe the tone, is it loud enough to hang with other guitars, etc. Really just tell me about it. I've done some online research, and have played what I could, but I always appreciate hearing from folks who have the hands-on experience.  This being the Taylor forum, I'm hoping that I might hear some people's impressions of how the x18 and the Collings CJ might compare.

For reference, I primarily strum or play with a pick, though I do occasionally fingerpick. Let's say 85% pick 15% fingers. Tonally, I prefer rosewood to mahogany, and I am intrigued by cocobolo as a tonewood.

Thanks for any advice or stories you care to share!

ataylor

• Veteran Member
    • I'm recording an album -- check it out on Kickstarter!
Re: Taylor 818e and Collings CJ - talk me down from the ledge?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 07:44:00 PM »
I would say keep the 818 and keep saving for the CJ.

While you're saving, there are some similar models in that range that you might want to try out or read up on if you liked the Collings slope shoulder. Collings does a similar model called the CJ35 that I have heard good things about, Huss & Dalton, Bourgeois, Santa Cruz all make similar models as well. Individual luthiers that make great slope shoulders are Fairbanks (I have one and it's awesome) and Kopp, among others. And don't rule out a Gibson! Can't go wrong with a good J-45. Or, if you'd rather have rosewood and a long scale, the Advanced Jumbo.

But yeah, hang on to that Taylor and save for the slope shoulder while you pick a winner. That's my take anyway.
2005 Taylor 210 (sitka/sapele)

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 11:49:04 AM »
First off, welcome to the board ...good to have you here!  :D

Personally, I would never ever sell a guitar in order to fund another.  Yes, I have done so, on more than one occasion, and eventually regretted it (not always, but at least twice, well maybe a third time...I'm a slow learner but at least now I get it ;) ).  Of course we cannot all afford all the guitars we would like to own.  But my point really is a simple one: you don't truly know which guitar is the better guitar until you live with it for a time.

There is the obvious honeymoon period: things change over time and the initial "love" for a guitar can easily wane.  Then there is our aural memory: imperfect, to say the least, and often colored by the room we played it in.  Guitar specs: heh, that's about the most deceptive way in which to judge a guitar's worthiness.  Then there's the good ol' fashioned emotional content: again, a huge variable that time and circumstances clearly influence.  And we all know that relying on others' tonal reports are, at the end of the day, just their opinions; when ya think about it, how does that really help the prospective owner?  All to say this: only once you live with both contenders, and play them over a span of time under the terms you normally play them can you best judge which will reign as the keeper.  And once that determination is made, it really does make selling the other guitar easier since you have zero doubt over the superior guitar you've kept. 

The downside to this, clearly, is the cash outlay and the time you're "in hock," so to speak.  But if one can swing this, it is worth every penny knowing you own the better guitar.  All of this, of course, IMHO.  But heck, you asked :D

Edward
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 11:54:25 AM by Edward »

jfwund

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 10:31:42 AM »
Thanks guys. Edward, I think your advice is spot on, my only problem with that is I'd need to sell my 818e in order to afford the Collings. Hmm. I do really like this 818e much more than my 414ce (which has sentimental value), so I guess for now I'll just keep saving and see what happens. I really am torn on this, as that Collings just blew me away...

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 01:26:41 PM »
Yeah, I think we can all empathize with you when merely trying a guitar ends up keeping you up at night.  But remember, this collings may be a seriously good fit for you, in which case once it is gone, it is gone.  OTOH, once you A/B it alongside your 818, perhaps some of that lustre will fade.  Impossible to tell without having them both as there are simply too many variables, not least of which include our emotions ;)
Good luck with the decision ...BTDT :D

Edward

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2014, 02:52:32 PM »
you've played the collings(s) & you know what the 818e FE is all about because you own it -
i've heard it said that collings makes martins better than martin makes martins & i take
that to mean being more consistent, with a bit above a stellar martin being the "baseline"

i remember seeing someone at a local shop that brought in a collings OM,
considering possibly trading for a Taylor & everyone there was thinking "why ?"

granted, i don't believe there is a guitar that is the end-all-be-all for every player &
i'm not knocking any brands, as i've played some pretty nice examples of other
builds that i wouldn't have minded owning, but the two things that stop me are
the $ & the older, 1st gen design Taylors i have that, to my ear, more closely
resemble the tone of older OM & square shoulder dreadnought models

the X14, 97-later X10, 03 later X12, X16, X18 & mini, which were not being made
when Taylor was in santee, much less el cajon, have a rather unique tonal niche,
imho, but the ones that have found their way into the arsenal (currently GS, GO &
mini-less, but there are specific examples already on the radar) that i've let other
friends play don't seem to be what a good number of players think Taylors sound like

looking at models that andy powers used to offer, i don't see a dreadnought -
http://www.andypowersinstruments.com/models.html
the current X10 shape was designed by larry breedlove a couple of years ago, but
without any fanfare that i can recall, but the redesign was made known for the 800s

i find it interesting that other builders kind of go back-and-forth, offering models
that aesthetically seems to be inspired by the other & that the recent 700 & 500
series appointments could've been reminiscent of models made if Taylor was an
80 year old company, rather than 40, but i think that there is probably something in
just about any builder's model line that could appeal to a good number of players,
provided there are no preconceived notions & blind brand loyalty involved, one might
be surprised if what one was really after is something that was not initially considered

play 'em all -
leave no string unplucked & don't be surprised if you're surprised ;)
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

darylcrisp

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 06:04:21 PM »
and to further drive you nuts, check out the offerings of MassStreetMusic. They have been a Collings dealer a long time and get some extra things thrown into the builds usually-check for the videos.

http://massstreetmusic.com/collections/acoustic-guitars/collings

d

ataylor

• Veteran Member
    • I'm recording an album -- check it out on Kickstarter!
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 12:08:25 AM »
and to further drive you nuts, check out the offerings of MassStreetMusic. They have been a Collings dealer a long time and get some extra things thrown into the builds usually-check for the videos.

http://massstreetmusic.com/collections/acoustic-guitars/collings

d

They started ordering modified CJ models to sound more "Gibsonesque" and they sounded so great Collings ended up creating a new model -- the CJ35.
2005 Taylor 210 (sitka/sapele)

jfwund

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, 02:54:11 PM »
Thanks for the responses, though I don't know if I exactly 'needed' more GAS-inducing photos, darylcrisp  ;)

Been playing my 414ce a bit more this last week or so, and rediscovering that guitar has been pleasant. I have gone ahead and posted my 818e on Craigslist, so we'll see what comes of it.

Cheers,

Jim

wooglins

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2014, 06:10:23 PM »
Find a Gibson J-15 and J-35 to try.   You may be shocked at what XXXX dollars gets you from Gibson right now.

$
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 09:36:24 PM by UTGF-Team »