Author Topic: Hello From Northern Utah  (Read 2485 times)

Artcore

Hello From Northern Utah
« on: May 24, 2014, 05:26:31 AM »
I normally hang out in Les Paul Forums, but since learning about the GS Mini (quite by accident), and just recently placing my order for a new GS Mini Mahogany from Sweetwater, I thought it would be wise and fun to be part of this forum to learn and become knowledgeable of all things Taylor.

Nice thing about Sweetwater, is they post actual photos of all their guitars.  I was able to compare all four models of the GS Mini Hogs that Sweetwater had in stock, and chose the one that I liked most.  Just a couple of pics via Sweetwater of my much anticipated GS Mini Hog:

Glad to be part of this forum! 

« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 05:53:41 AM by Artcore »
Mark

2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard
2008 Ibanez  AK95
1978 Ibanez ST100
2014 GS mini (mahogany)

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
Re: Hello From Northern Utah
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 07:31:52 AM »
Welcome...you will love your new GS Mini hog. They are fun little guitars that perform like they are big.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 09:03:07 AM »
Welcome to the UTGF.  GS Minis are big around here, a lot of us have them.  Congratulations.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Artcore

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 12:57:29 PM »
Welcome...you will love your new GS Mini hog. They are fun little guitars that perform like they are big.

Thank you for the welcome!

While I'm sure YouTube doesn't do them complete justice, the videos I've watched/listened to confirm what you're saying about their "big" sound.  I'm really jazzed about this guitar!
Mark

2008 Ibanez  AK95
1978 Ibanez ST100
2014 GS mini (mahogany)

Artcore

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 01:07:31 PM »
Welcome to the UTGF.  GS Minis are big around here, a lot of us have them.  Congratulations.

Thanks for the welcome!

I came to this forum hoping to find a couple or so threads discussing the GS Mini.  I couldn't believe how many threads there actually were, and all of the positive comments about this guitar.  Even more surprising was that many of these positive reviews were coming from owners of much more expensive Taylors!  Now that says something!

I have to say, getting a new acoustic wasn't even on my radar...this was purely by chance I heard the GS Mini.  I had long range plans to get another Les Paul at some point.  Well, let's just say that's changed just a little bit.  Now I'm looking to get a full size Taylor at some point.  I've always heard Taylors were nice...now I understand why!  I hate GAS!!  >:(

Cheers!
Mark

2008 Ibanez  AK95
1978 Ibanez ST100
2014 GS mini (mahogany)

BathTimeStrummer

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 02:54:56 PM »
My Mini is my office guitar and I play it just about every day. If you're an LP guy, you should definitely try the new T5z. Very similar profiles. Fun to play acoustically too! Welcome!
2014 T5z Custom (Koa)
2013 316ce (Sitka/Sapele)
2014 Holden Village GS Mini (Engelmann/Maple)
1998 Fender DG-7

Artcore

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 01:00:26 PM »
My Mini is my office guitar and I play it just about every day. If you're an LP guy, you should definitely try the new T5z. Very similar profiles. Fun to play acoustically too! Welcome!

Hi and thank you for the welcome!

I noticed your GS mini is a Holden Village (Engelmann/Maple).  I wasn't familiar with that particular one, so I looked it up.  Wow!  Those are really beautiful! 

You know, I had heard of the T5z model, but never really bothered to do any research on them before.  After reading your post, I spent some time last night reading up on them and watching some YouTube videos.  I was very surprised at the versatility of these absolutely beautiful guitars!  At the risk of sounding cliché, they sounded like they really could "do it all!"  As I mentioned, my purchase of this GS mini hog has had me rethinking my planned acquisition of a second Les Paul.  I think my mind was made up that a nice Taylor acoustic should be in my future guitar plans...UNTIL I READ YOUR POST!!  Now I have a major case of GAS for one of these T5zs!  Thanks for nothing!  >:(   ;D

I went to Sweetwater and saw two of the Custom Koa's...and well, all I can say is...WOW!!  Unless something changes, I think this will be the next major guitar purchase for me.  Looks like I'll get the best of both worlds!  I saw the pic of your T5z...incredible top and finish!  The two currently listed at Sweetwater are very nice, but the tops aren't as unique as yours!  Congrats on your fine T5z.  She's a keeper!

« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 01:19:36 PM by Artcore »
Mark

2008 Ibanez  AK95
1978 Ibanez ST100
2014 GS mini (mahogany)

stepchildusmc

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2014, 10:18:38 PM »
looks like we snagged another one guys !!!   ;D ;D ;D
another taylor-holic in training !
Welcome in Art. great site you've found. i too have an LP...somewhere.... since i discovered taylors, i haven't seen it.
 you're gonna love that 'Hog mini. very versatile. really booms for it's smaller size.
Steppy
2008 NAMM Hot Rod(GA)
2013 spring ltd. 616 ce
2013 616 ce(honeyburst)
2011 Adamas 2080Sr
2014 324
2014 GS mini Hog
2013 GS mini Spruce
2014 GS mini Engelmann (HV)
only thing lacking is the talent !

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2014, 06:01:27 PM »
 Hi Artcore. Welcome to the UTGF. :) I was mainly an electric player and found Taylor acoustics very easy to adapt to. My 314ce loves to travel, so the GS Mini stays around the house. Congrats on your new Mini Hog. 8) Enjoy.
Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"

Artcore

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 12:47:48 AM »
looks like we snagged another one guys !!!   ;D ;D ;D
another taylor-holic in training !
Welcome in Art. great site you've found. i too have an LP...somewhere.... since i discovered taylors, i haven't seen it.
 you're gonna love that 'Hog mini. very versatile. really booms for it's smaller size.

Thanks for the welcome Steppy!  I was snagged alright!  Didn't even see it coming!

Yeah, I'll have to remember to play the LP on occasion  ;)

From the looks of your lineup it doesn't look like your LP gets too much action anymore!  :D

Cheers!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 12:50:04 AM by Artcore »
Mark

2008 Ibanez  AK95
1978 Ibanez ST100
2014 GS mini (mahogany)

Artcore

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 12:56:25 AM »
Hi Artcore. Welcome to the UTGF. :) I was mainly an electric player and found Taylor acoustics very easy to adapt to. My 314ce loves to travel, so the GS Mini stays around the house. Congrats on your new Mini Hog. 8) Enjoy.

Thank you for the welcome Shayne!

Yeah, I don't think I'll have any trouble adapting to acoustic playing.  I really think it will open up some creative playing, both in finger-picking and playing more open position chords.

I'm really excited to get this little baby in my hands!  BTW, I really love the 314ce Taylors.  I'll bet they're a blast to play.

I'll provide some observations after I get my mini and have a chance to put it through its paces.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 12:58:26 AM by Artcore »
Mark

2008 Ibanez  AK95
1978 Ibanez ST100
2014 GS mini (mahogany)