Author Topic: 512/12-fret cedar/mahogany  (Read 2286 times)

TaylorMate

• Bard since the Sixties
    • Blogboek
512/12-fret cedar/mahogany
« on: May 22, 2014, 04:12:45 AM »
Since 1997 I have been playing a 714-CED (1996) Grand Auditorium. As pre-eminently finger picker it gave me so much! In 2012 I bought a Mini hog (for travel purposes) with which I fell immediately in love because of its warm sound and certainly also its parlor size. My experience with the Mini sound & size made me buy an all hog 522 in Spring 2113. That one was afterall not a keeper since it turned out to be better suited for somewhat more agressive playing (like blues). I traded it in last summer for an 812 with which I am fully satisfied. Meanwhile, the smaller GC bodies won me over completely. They are for my modest build a perfect match.

Our UTGF has made me, being that fingerstyle guitarist, so curious to play a 12-fret. My love for cedar and affection for mahogany makes me dream of one more ultimate guitar - as TaylorGirl put it so nicely: The Taylors stop here for me (probably) - a 512/12-fret. I would than have to sell my 714-CED which is still in an almost spotless condition. That would be a hard thing after 17 years of playing it but if the 512/12-fret gives me sound and size wise enough joy than I'm willing to do it.

Now my question: does anyone of you has a 512/12-fret (ced/hog!) and some convincing arguments for my possible swop, knowing that I love cedar, mahogany and small. And, of course, I am going to try that model myself, as soon as I can find one in my neighbourhood!

Karel™

PS: I know the differences in construction and the influence those should have on tone and sound. I am mostly interested in personal experience.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 09:15:41 AM by TaylorMate »
If you dig it, do it; if you dig it a lot, do it twice (Jim Croce)

Lyrics and music: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6gaSzHsXOYq-j_eQH6IwsW_K0S3CHfbk

milo_otis

Re: 512/12-fret cedar/mahogany
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 02:03:05 PM »
Is your 714 is a cedar/rosewood combo? I compared a 512 12-fret to a 522 12-fret and my cedar topped 514 before I settled on the 522 12-fret. As a far as comfort, the 12-fret is perfect for me. (I'm 5'8"on a good day.) I really liked my 514 and it was wonderfully balanced across all strings and warm, but it left me wanting more. The 512 12-fret gave me that more....a more pronounced bass, warmer trebles, plenty of overtones and much more comfort. It also actually had a higher dynamic ceiling than the 514 while maintaining the same volume. So that is what I thought of the 512 12-fret. More of a good thing. Almost my perfect guitar.

TaylorMate

• Bard since the Sixties
    • Blogboek
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 03:13:28 PM »
Yes, my 714 is a cedar/rosewood combo. It's really an outstanding guitar, but just like you I have my anthropometrical restictions ??? which made me long through the years for a smaller guitar. So that's why I am exploring this new 512 12 fret path. I am not shure what your final decision was. You say you settled on the 522 12 fret, but later on I got the impression that it is still the 512 12 fret you fell for. Like I wrote in my initial contribution, the 522 (14 fret!) was a bit of a deception to me as a finger picker. For the back and side mahogany is probably fine, but I would really like a lighter top wood. In particular cedar which gives my 714 such a beautiful warm tone.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 03:16:16 PM by TaylorMate »

Lyrics and music: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6gaSzHsXOYq-j_eQH6IwsW_K0S3CHfbk

milo_otis

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 03:27:49 PM »
Yes, my 714 is a cedar/rosewood combo. It's really an outstanding guitar, but just like you I have my anthropometrical restictions ??? which made me long through the years for a smaller guitar. So that's why I am exploring this new 512 12 fret path. I am not shure what your final decision was. You say you settled on the 522 12 fret, but later on I got the impression that it is still the 512 12 fret you fell for. Like I wrote in my initial contribution, the 522 (14 fret!) was a bit of a deception to me as a finger picker. For the back and side mahogany is probably fine, but I would really like a lighter top wood. In particular cedar which gives my 714 such a beautiful warm tone.

I started off really loving cedar tops over spruce because of the generally warmer tone and its response to my lighter attack. I still do prefer it to spruce, but as I've developed a more heavy, dynamic and percussive style, cedar no longer had a high enough sonic ceiling for my playing. Because of that, I started looking for hardwood topped guitars and REALLY love those. I feel that the 512 12-fret would be my number one choice had I not found the 522 12-fret. (The 14 GCs of the same designations just don't have the same feel and tonal vibe as the 12 frets.) I probably shouldn't have used the word "settled" originally, because the 522 12-fret is the guitar that I feel I've always been looking for. My perfect guitar. From what you've described, I think that the 512 12 fret is the perfect size and is definitely a great finger style guitar. It will have just the right amount of warmth, overtones and depth of tone for you.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 04:08:38 PM by crazymilo12 »

TaylorMate

• Bard since the Sixties
    • Blogboek
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 11:22:21 AM »
Taylor Amsterdam ships a 512e 12-fret to a shop not far from where I live. Early next week I will be able to play it. The new version has the ES-2 system. I never had ES before, but now I probably will accept it. The ES-2 approximates my K&K's, although there's still that annoying battery. The new 512 is as far as appearance is concerned brought back to the absolute essentials. Not even a nice abalone rosette. But we'll see. For me sound is much more important. And if this 12-fret is really the ideal fingerstyle guitar than I'm affraid I have to prepare my spouse somewhere soon...
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 01:05:09 AM by TaylorMate »

pjroberts

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 12:49:41 AM »
Abalone does nothing for the tone or playability, but of unnecessary fluffy bling. You will be fine, it's a sweet guitar.
pj roberts | austin
Taylor 814ce [2015]  |  GS Mini Holden Valley
Others: SCGC, Martin, Collings, Halcyon & Goodall

TaylorMate

• Bard since the Sixties
    • Blogboek
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 04:04:07 PM »
You are right PJ! I bought the 512 TF today and its a beautiful guitar. Do not miss any bling. But what is much more important: it sounds incredible. I read all the comments and reviews on 12 fretters, but what I have in my hand since this afternoon strikes all my expectations. It is unbelievable how such a small guitar (and I was already used to the 812) produces such a great sound. I can't hardly compare it to what I was used to before. Of course it's a very fresh impression, but this experience is special. In the shop I was able to play the new 814 and also that one is a lovely guitar, although I was not shure yet whether it would beat my 714 (1996). But I think it would. Yet, it did not make me hesitate a bit as far as the 512 was concerned. Really a nice surprise is the ES2. I never liked the predecessors, but this system works! My new baby is equiped with the Elixers HD light. They are somewhat tough to my fingers, as you may ecpect, but I want to give them a fair chance because they are part of the sound which took me by surprise.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 01:03:07 AM by TaylorMate »

milo_otis

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 04:38:28 PM »
I bought the 512 TF today and its a beautiful guitar. Do not miss any bling. But what is much more important: it sounds incredible. I read all the comments and reviews on 12 fretters, but what I have in my hand since this afternoon strikes all my expectations. It is unbelievable how such a small guitar (and I was already used to the 812) produces such a great sound. I can't hardly compare it to what I was used to before. Of course it's a very fresh impression, but this experience is special.

Congrats! From your description, it sounds like a beautifully matched guitar for you!