Author Topic: what is the best way to sell a Taylor  (Read 3867 times)

mapesaudio

what is the best way to sell a Taylor
« on: May 20, 2014, 02:21:20 PM »
Hello all,
Although I'm no youngster, I am new to the forum. I have a general question regarding the best way to go about selling a Taylor guitar. I purchased a Taylor 618e first edition last April when they first came out, # 11 of 100, and I can't say enough good things about it. But I may have to sell it to raise money for a health related issue. I'm not officially saying it is for sale at this time, I just don't know the best way to go about doing this. I don't trust ebay with something like this. Any recommendations are appreciated.
Thanks.
Mark

JosephKim

Re: what is the best way to sell a Taylor
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 03:20:42 PM »
Hi Mark. My first choice is always a local sale. Putting it on Craigslist or another similar site saves the hassle of shipping and it's nice to have cash in hand.

If that's not an option, going on sites like AGF, TGP, or this one usually works well. All transactions I've had have gone very smoothly. Just in case I'd recommend selling to someone with a good amount of history on the forum. I also like talking to the person on the phone.

mapesaudio

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 03:30:40 PM »
Thank you for your recommendations.

Hi Mark. My first choice is always a local sale. Putting it on Craigslist or another similar site saves the hassle of shipping and it's nice to have cash in hand.

If that's not an option, going on sites like AGF, TGP, or this one usually works well. All transactions I've had have gone very smoothly. Just in case I'd recommend selling to someone with a good amount of history on the forum. I also like talking to the person on the phone.

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 12:31:02 AM »
Hi Mark. Craigslist if you're in a decent size city. I bought a guitar here on the UTGF and over on the AGF. Do your research, see what they're actually selling for on ebay. It'll have to be a good deal if you sell on a forum, not to mention shipping. Best bet is local if possible.

Sorry that you might have to sell your 618e FE. Best of luck.
Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"

M19

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 07:22:16 AM »
I've had great success selling guitars on this site and the AGF. You are reaching tens of thousands of guitar lovers on these sites, most with some stage of GAS!
Marty B.
Multi-Brand Owner

mapesaudio

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 10:17:52 AM »
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.
Mark

Geez

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 09:27:31 PM »
I too may give the AGF a try. I have my 814 listed here and on Craigslist. So everyone off Craigslist wants me a trade + cash.  I'm not really trying to hard to sell it but I do like the thought of being able to get into one of the new 2014's.  I just gigged with the 814 Tuesday night and continue to love that thing.
1994 Ovation Celebrity Elite
2006 Takamine GS340
2011 Taylor NS24 nylon
2012 Martin GPCPA4 Rosewood
2013 Taylor K24ce
2013 Taylor Spring LTD 614ce (African)
2013 Taylor GS Mini
2014 HV GS Mini
2014 GS Mini Hog
2014 Taylor 814ce
2014 Taylor 816e
2014 GS Mini Koa

joshsimpson79

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 10:10:44 AM »
I too may give the AGF a try. I have my 814 listed here and on Craigslist. So everyone off Craigslist wants me a trade + cash.  I'm not really trying to hard to sell it but I do like the thought of being able to get into one of the new 2014's.  I just gigged with the 814 Tuesday night and continue to love that thing.

That's kind of been my experience on Craigslists with higher end models.  With lower end ones, I can sell them with cash easy.  With higher end models, everyone wants to trade me something I'm not so interested in.
2022 GT Mahogany
2013 GS Mini-E Mahogany
Cordoba C5

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 11:05:52 AM »
I've had no problem selling high-end guitars on Craigslist and, in fact, I just sold one last week.  You just make it clear in the ad that you won't consider any trade offers -- cash only.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 11:13:26 AM »
one may want to try here
https://reverb.com/
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

joshsimpson79

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 03:23:09 PM »
I've had no problem selling high-end guitars on Craigslist and, in fact, I just sold one last week.  You just make it clear in the ad that you won't consider any trade offers -- cash only.

I said that too in my experiences.  I guess people just can't take my words seriously.   ;)
2022 GT Mahogany
2013 GS Mini-E Mahogany
Cordoba C5

Leftyb

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2014, 05:29:39 PM »
I've had great luck on CL but buyers of the leftyfrets don't have many chances to pickup quality guitars so when they appear I usually do get some mail.  I like doing it locally the person can try it out no surprises for the buyer or seller. I always meet at a public spot also

Good luck.
2010 Huss Dalton CM12 Cocobola/Engelmann
GS Mini E Walnut
1995 Gallagher Special 71
2008 Collings OM2HA
Collings UT-1 Uke
ALL LEFT HANDED

jw3571

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2014, 09:52:54 PM »
I've done a couple of ebay and have done others on local classified.