Author Topic: Compound Radius Fretboards  (Read 1183 times)

BathTimeStrummer

Compound Radius Fretboards
« on: May 19, 2014, 04:49:57 PM »
Hi Gang, so I've got a new T5z Custom on order (much more on that later), but in all my researching and test driving, I've come to appreciate the notion of a compound radius fretboard. It doesn't seem like Taylor has ventured too deep into these waters. I'm curious to hear (from those far more experienced than I) as to why this is? With their solid-body experience and the advent of the more 'electric-friendly' T5z, it begs the question. Am I missing something here? Has Bob or Andy ever addressed this issue? Are they truly conical fretboards but not marketed as such?
2014 T5z Custom (Koa)
2013 316ce (Sitka/Sapele)
2014 Holden Village GS Mini (Engelmann/Maple)
1998 Fender DG-7

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
Re: Compound Radius Fretboards
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 01:39:21 PM »
what issue ???
probably the same reason why one nut width & neck carve is allowed on 12 fret models,
that there is one standard string spacing at the saddle for the acoustic 6 steel strings &
that there weren't maple fretboards offered on the SBs or a 1 3/4" nut on the T3/T5s

the standard radius on a Taylor steel string is 15" & 12" on the T5z -
other builders use a 16" radius & the one that comes to mind with a compound
radius is larrivee, which is a 16" to 20-21" (scroll a little more than half-way down)
http://www.larrivee.com/features/acousticBuildTour6.php
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

BathTimeStrummer

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 01:49:47 AM »
I hope I didn't come off as critical there. I was just genuinely curious. Found many spirited debates re: compound radii on other boards-- mostly regarding Strat and traditional electric setups. Just wondering if anybody's ever asked Bob his opinion about compound radius and what his answer would be. Clearly Larivee sees some merit in it. Not looking for Taylor to change anything, just curious if it's ever discussed...
2014 T5z Custom (Koa)
1998 Fender DG-7

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 10:48:38 PM »
No sir, I don't think you came off critical at all.  I never knew Larrys offered compound boards.  I've been around electrics for decades and various radii boards abound, and compound radius ones are likewise easy to find.  But to be frank, in these many years I've never heard of anyone raising the point with acoustics.  And I suspect it has to do with the more "traditional" vibe that acoustic guits imbue; this and that folks don't typically attack an acoustic board in the way one does an electric. Even when doing lead lines on an acoustic, it's a wholly different approach from that of an electric.

You may want to think of it this way: what does a compound radius offer the player?  Answer: more curve for comfy fretting near the nut, but a flatter board for truer bends as you get higher up the neck.  Given the markedly heavier gauge of acoustic strings over electrics, as well as the fact that an acoustic doesn't sustain a note up the bend anywhere near as effectively as an overdriven, compressed electric's note does ...well, that much bending simply doesn't occur on acoustics.  Translation: a compound radius board on an acoustic is answering a question no one ever asks; or at least precious few players do.  So where does the T5 fit in?  A truly electic guitar whose target audience is going to play it like a strat or lester?  While it "can" be, that's not its reason for being.  Trying to fit in both camps is its mission, so it's likely Taylor simply decided with biasing closer toward the acoustic-guitar's fretboard.

All in my take, anywhoo ...FWIW, IMHO, but YMMV.  :D

Edward
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 10:53:03 PM by Edward »

BathTimeStrummer

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 11:20:19 PM »
Really nice explanation. Makes complete sense. Thanks for taking the time to coach up a rookie, Edward.
2014 T5z Custom (Koa)
1998 Fender DG-7