Author Topic: NGD - The Taylors Stop Here For Me (probably...)  (Read 5980 times)

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
NGD - The Taylors Stop Here For Me (probably...)
« on: May 11, 2014, 07:44:46 AM »
I was totally happy with my stable of guitars (and other instruments)....telling my husband that with my new custom mountain dulcimer that is currently being built, I was done buying instruments. I am fortunate, love what I have, and play each and every one of them with pride. Each one has it's purpose. Then, the idea hit. I'm a 99% fingerstyle player, love the GS mini and travel a lot in the motorhome. So, what would a hog mini do for me? Then, one day, my husband saw a picture of a hog mini and said how pretty they were.

I asked a couple respected members of this forum their impressions. Then, I went into Elderly Instruments. They had 4 hog mini's. I played each one. There was one that sounded and felt especially good. I asked my husband what he thought, since he's the one that surprised me with the spruce mini 3 years ago. He said I had to "live life". I went for it. I had them remove the pickguard for me, as this will be my fingerstyle mini. The spruce will be my jammin' mini, when I attend the monthly block parties. I just can't part with the spruce mini, because my husband picked it out and it sounds just too darn good. So, my mini got a younger sister. On the drive home, I asked my husband if he thought I was crazy....he said he would have thought I was crazy if I DIDN'T get it. He loves it too. He's such a sweetheart.....he loves my music.

Here's my newest Taylor, and another picture of the two siblings. These mini's are really cool to have around (for me they just feel good to play)  ;D.
[imghttp://][/img]
[imghttp://][/img]
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

TaylorMate

• Bard since the Sixties
    • Blogboek
Re: NGD - The Taylors Stop Here For Me (probably...)
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 08:31:39 AM »
TaylorGirl, congratulations (with your husband too!). I share your feelings for the hog mini. For my fingerstyle too is has a perfect feel and sound, next to my other two Taylors (812 and 714). And because its shorter scale its perfect for more 'streched' chords (e.g Sting's Shape of my heart). But above all, it sounds warm and great. And for the money it's a mini wonder.
If you dig it, do it; if you dig it a lot, do it twice (Jim Croce)

Lyrics and music: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6gaSzHsXOYq-j_eQH6IwsW_K0S3CHfbk

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 08:32:17 AM »
Congratulations Susie.  That is a very nice looking GS Mini.  Love the color, it looks especially nice with out the pick guard.  I would be interested in your impression of the sound, is it all they say it is?    How does it compare to older sister.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 10:18:06 AM »
Thanks TM and mgap.
The difference in the minis is noticeable, but not as much as with the full sized solid wood Taylors. The hog is a little warmer, with a bit more bass and mid-range. The volume is just as good as the spruce. The spruce has that brighter treble. It's not a world of difference, but enough that you can notice it. I still love the spruce, which has always been amazing to me (for the type of guitar that it is). The hog has enough different, that I love that too. I have a nice duo now, and am going to take advantage of both of them. My hog is going with me on our first motorhome trip....gotta get it used to traveling! My husband asked me "so what guitar will you take on our first trip"...with a smile on his face. I said, "the hog mini, of course".....with a smile on MY face. The older sister has welcomed the younger sister into the family  ;D.
Susie

Louis

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 10:42:02 AM »
Are you using finger picks or not ? I'm trying to learn finger style but having a heck of a time get all the fingers to go in what ever sequence . Pretty well made up my mind I'm gonna finger pick but use a pick and just work my free fingers .An other thing I find ,it's all good having these guitars hanging around but looking after them is a whole different ball game .
Taylor 315ce Jumbo 2010
Bose L1’s (2)
Fender F65--1977
Taylor 12 string 356ce

Fender Strat - 50's special edition (red)
Heil. Fin  microphone
Fender 512 sub woofer
Digiteck 3 vocal harmonizer

Redwood Tree

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 11:02:27 AM »
 Wow 2 mini GS's congrats maybe some day I'll get one , I've tried them and was please with there tone, Now go and break in that Mahogany top. Have fun.
Tom
"So Many Taylors Not Enough Talant"

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 11:37:48 AM »
Sisters(GS Mini's) can get along just fine.  They will have beautiful voices I am sure. Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG7x8HWbDzU
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2014, 12:01:28 PM »
Well, Congrats & Happy Mothers Day!

Oh, and I'm glad you included the "probably" in your title.
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2014, 12:05:27 PM »
Wow, congrats!  I love the minis and am trying to play mine more.

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2014, 12:11:02 PM »
Are you using finger picks or not ? An other thing I find ,it's all good having these guitars hanging around but looking after them is a whole different ball game .
I have used National fingerpicks for about 35 years now (two finger and thumb). It's second-nature for me. That's what I grew up with. Yes, looking after instruments is important, but it's all worth it.
Well, Congrats & Happy Mothers Day!

Oh, and I'm glad you included the "probably" in your title.
Thanks cigarfan, you caught the "probably'.....I thought I'd better add a qualifier (just in case).
Wow 2 mini GS's congrats maybe some day I'll get one , I've tried them and was please with there tone, Now go and break in that Mahogany top. Have fun.
They sure are fun.
Susie

shorty

• Veteran Member
  • I love guitars way too much!
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2014, 01:17:22 PM »
Congrats TaylorGirl!!

Thinking I may just have to try a mini myself!!
2014 Taylor 614ce Florentine/Blackcherryburst
2013 Benedetto Bambino Deluxe
2012Taylor BTO GS Macassar/Redwood
2012 Martin GPCPA4
2011 Taylor Fall Ltd GS Cocobolo
2011 Taylor Fall Ltd GC 12 Fret Koa
2009 Taylor 814ce TSB
2008 Taylor 654ce
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GA Koa
2005 Takamine EAN10ce

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2014, 03:43:25 PM »
Congrats, Taylor Girl! Sounds as if you and your husband are enjoying life in a full balance. Play on!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2014, 08:57:25 PM »
Congratulations. :) They look good together--may they bring you years of enjoyment. By the way, your husband sounds like a keeper. ;)
Cindy

Lizzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2014, 10:07:03 PM »
Congrats! That's a great looking hog mini and I really love it without the pick guard! Looks like a great motorhome and any home companion to me ;)

ataylor

• Veteran Member
    • I'm recording an album -- check it out on Kickstarter!
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2014, 10:40:51 PM »
Nice! The mahogany minis are so cool. If the fretboard was a little roomier I'd probably get one myself...

Enjoy it!
2005 Taylor 210 (sitka/sapele)