Author Topic: Holden village mini impressions...  (Read 5075 times)

Lizzy

• Veteran Member
Holden village mini impressions...
« on: May 08, 2014, 06:57:00 PM »
Received the HV mini today and I have to say it sounds pretty darn good. I'm always at a loss at how to describe tone but it sounds much bigger than it is and sounds fuller than the Sitka tops...to my ear.

It also shipped with a small dent in the neck. You should be able to see it in the pics I posted.

This mini is very hard to play. So much so that the tips of my fingers hurt after playing about 10 minutes, and they still hurt 5 hours later.  Granted I am not used to medium strings, but this guitar feels tighter coming off the nut than the rosewood model I just sold and feels tighter than the other minis I have played recently. I don't think the action is too high...I don't know what it is. I can't barre an F chord without quite a bit of effort. Although the guitar is finished beautifully I would have liked a top that looks less striped. I also think the veneer/laminate on the back and sides looks kind of like wallpaper. I don't think the Rosewood or the Mahogany models look that way.

Anyway, unsure what I will do, but first thing I need to call Taylor and tell them about the dent.

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
Re: Holden village mini impressions...
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 07:34:25 PM »
congrats & thanks for sharing the pics, liz 8)
i like the rectified compression grain on the top (stripey) & the stand is the perfect accoutrement :)

if the neck relief & action height seem to be ok, i would look at the action at the nut -
i think that the nut slots may require some attention, which is not a rarity for certain series it seems

the ding in the neck looks like there's wood missing to me, not just through the finish but dug into the fibers -
if for some reason a repair will not make the blemish disappear completely, i would request a
replacement neck, as you paid for a new, first-quality guitar & that is what you should receive
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Lizzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 07:44:09 PM »
Just talked to Taylor. Since the guitar is damaged they will replace it, no problem, if I decide to keep it.

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 10:34:35 PM »
Congrats, I like the stripy!

I too found this guitar very hard on my fingers.  At first I chalked it up to the medium strings and that I play mostly mandolin but maybe I'll have a local luthier look (say that 5 times fast) at it.

Lizzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 10:49:38 PM »
I think Michael is right it definitely needs some attention. There is a hog model at my local dealer that plays great. I think maybe I should send this back (because I have to anyway because it's damaged) and get the hog...it's a known entity. I hate it when this happens!

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 11:35:59 PM »
So sorry with your disappointment.  I've been intrigued by the Holden mini but, despite the fact I acquired my last two guitars without first playing them (Alvarez and Froggy, both last fall), I would be reluctant to buy a guitar without first playing it.  Don't settle......
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

michaelw

• Veteran Member
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 12:00:44 AM »
I think Michael is right it definitely needs some attention. There is a hog model at my local dealer that plays great. I think maybe I should send this back (because I have to anyway because it's damaged) and get the hog...it's a known entity. I hate it when this happens!
if you like the way it sounds, i'd ask to see if a neck replacement is an option -
it's difficult to determine how the playability will be, but hopefully
a little more attention will be given to the nut slots on the next one

So sorry with your disappointment.  I've been intrigued by the Holden mini but, despite the fact I acquired my last two guitars without first playing them (Alvarez and Froggy, both last fall), I would be reluctant to buy a guitar without first playing it.  Don't settle......
the HV mini is not available through a dealer, so playing the guitar before purchase is not an option, but
i thought i saw somewhere that there was an approval period of some type (i could be mistaken though) -
if that last two guitars were acquired without playing them first, i'd say that still being reluctant is somewhat of an oxymoron

support indie musicians

Lizzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 12:10:53 AM »
Michael...yes this mini sounds really nice. I think the Engelman really adds something special, but I also really like the sound of the hog minis and I like the looks of them better. This guitar looks rather anemic in person! At least IMHO.
About the neck....Taylor will exchange the damaged guitar for a new one. Do you mean I should send that guitar back and just get the neck replaced because of the nick in it and not get a whole new guitar as they have offered.  I'm sorry, I don't understand.
Yes, there is a 30 day approval period.

michaelw

• Veteran Member
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 12:35:55 AM »
Michael...yes this mini sounds really nice. I think the Engelman really adds something special, but I also really like the sound of the hog minis and I like the looks of them better. This guitar looks rather anemic in person! At least IMHO.
About the neck....Taylor will exchange the damaged guitar for a new one. Do you mean I should send that guitar back and just get the neck replaced because of the nick in it and not get a whole new guitar as they have offered.  I'm sorry, I don't understand.
Yes, there is a 30 day approval period.
if the guitar sounds good & damage to neck & the stiff fretting action can be corrected
with a new neck, then at least you'll have a good idea what the guitar will sound like -
it would likely be more expedient to have a replacement sent, as i would think as soon as the
guitar is received, a new one should be able to be sent, or if a call tag is being sent, once the
tracking # is active & shows the guitar is on its way back, the replacement could be on it's way :-\

the maple veneer will get darker over time -
granted this one is 10 years old, but i don't think it'll take that long to develop a "patina"
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Taylor-615ce-L7-Fall-Ltd-Acoustic-Guitar-/271442141751?pt=Guitar&hash=item3f33366237&nma=true&si=AOombJXsEhU6a7LPv9huAWKDWA4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

but if you're hoping for a "clearer" (less stripey) top also, then i would go with the replacement, although
guitars that i've played with tops that looked similar seemed to have a bit more depth & "punch"

support indie musicians

Lizzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 01:09:29 AM »
I appreciate all the advice. I really have some thinking to do.

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 07:48:58 AM »
if that last two guitars were acquired without playing them first, i'd say that still being reluctant is somewhat of an oxymoron[/font][/size][/color]
I won one in a raffle, the other was an impossible- to- find -in- a -store inexpensive baritone.  I reiterate, Under normal circumstances I WOULD NEVER BUY A GUITAR, ESPECIALLY AN EXPENSIVE ONE, WITHOUT PLAYING IT FIRST. I had two bad Ebay experiences; I recall looking for a Breedlove 12 string and having to play 3 of the same model to find one exceptional one.

So much about how a guitar is perceived by the player depends on one's playing style.  When I first became acquainted with Froggy Bottom guitars  I played 8 different instruments. Only one blew me away -- the one it turns out that was specifically configured. for my playing style. Were the others bad? Of course not! Just not suited to my style!
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

Lizzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2014, 12:18:17 PM »
Playability and damaged issues aside, I'm going to return this guitar. Although the tone is really sweet I just can't get past the way this guitar looks. Shallow...I know...but it just doesn't call out while it's sitting on the stand and say play me. And for the cost I want all elements working together. For what it's worth my husband really thinks it looks sharp...but if we all liked the same guitar, there would only need to be one.

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2014, 12:34:51 PM »
Lizzy, as an experiment try tuning down a full step to D-D.  The tension of medium gauge strings at D-D is almost identical to light gauge at E-E.  My wife had me put lights on her GS Mini (mahogany top).  She likes the mahogany much better than the spruce top models, BTW - it has a warmer tone.  I have never heard or played a HV model with the Englemann top, however, so I cannot speak to how it compares to Sitka.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

HAPPYDAN

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2014, 01:50:28 PM »
Sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience, but from everything I've heard about Taylor, they will make it right. I have a similar playing experience with my HV Mini. I personnally like the stripey finish, as the stripes gradually appeared over several weeks. As for your comment regarding the action, I have three Tecate-made Taylors, and all initially need a truss rod tightening, and a saddle and nut shave. Otherwise, closing that barre F properly is almost impossible, especially on the fly, without getting a "buzz" or a "thup" out of the big E. After set-up on my 114ce, the problem was solved. So the Mini will go in for set-up, too. Hope all works out well for you!

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2014, 02:53:27 PM »
Lizzy.....you are who matters......do what's right for Lizzy. Try the hog mini (hint hint.....going to be posting my own ngd  ;)).
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!