Author Topic: Koa Calling  (Read 10968 times)

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
Re: Koa Calling
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2014, 09:57:29 AM »
that's the first time i've seen "used" printed on a factory box label -
interesting... :-\

Actually, it's the second time I've seen it; my 614ce-LTD came the same way.  I bought the guitar from an authorized dealer (Empire Music), and was told by Joe that came straight from Taylor, so I'm not sure what made it 'used...?'  The guitar seems fine physically (i.e., no apparent damage to it), sounds great, and was discounted pretty heavily.  Joe wasn't sure either; he speculated it might have been a demo. model they had at the factory.  Frankly, neither of us knows for sure...  Joe had simply gotten a list of previous-issue guitars that Taylor was making available late last year (Thanksgiving time frame), he spotted some 2013 Spring Limited 600's on it, and scooped them up for his inventory.  But the label on the box in which Taylor shipped the guitar to Empire Music is marked that way too...

From a purely legalistic standpoint, I'm not sure whether it has a warranty or not; technically, I may be the first owner (which is all the warranty stipulates); but if Taylor considers the guitar 'used' from the outset, they may not offer a warranty on it.  For my own purposes, I'm assuming the latter.
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

Geez

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2014, 11:32:01 AM »
Geez MichaelW what are you trying to do to me with all that eye candy. 

...and I THOUGHT I was pretty happy with my arsenal, but I don't HAVE a 12 stringer yet and ya'll are starting to make me WANT one.  I'm currently jones'n for one of the new 814ce's but it's starting to look like that might not happen.
1994 Ovation Celebrity Elite
2006 Takamine GS340
2011 Taylor NS24 nylon
2012 Martin GPCPA4 Rosewood
2013 Taylor K24ce
2013 Taylor Spring LTD 614ce (African)
2013 Taylor GS Mini
2014 HV GS Mini
2014 GS Mini Hog
2014 Taylor 814ce
2014 Taylor 816e
2014 GS Mini Koa

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2014, 12:38:32 PM »
Geez MichaelW what are you trying to do to me with all that eye candy. 

...and I THOUGHT I was pretty happy with my arsenal, but I don't HAVE a 12 stringer yet and ya'll are starting to make me WANT one...

12-strings are a great value!  You get twice the number of strings for about the same price...  ;)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 05:36:28 PM by timfitz63 »
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2014, 04:15:43 PM »
I've had my K65ce since 2006, and it still makes me smile uncontrollably every time I play it.  I believe it to be the holy grail of 12 strings.  To that point, it is well protected by killer attack rabbits hidden in shrubbery and arrogant French soldiers on top of the castle walls.

Your a good steward of such a fine instrument Gutch,  I should see if I could get mercenary arrogant killer attack rabbits from France to protect my collection.  My luck would warrant a nice cute french lope eared bunny :o
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

Gutch

• Veteran Member
    • www.davegutshall.com
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2014, 11:21:33 AM »
I've had my K65ce since 2006, and it still makes me smile uncontrollably every time I play it.  I believe it to be the holy grail of 12 strings.  To that point, it is well protected by killer attack rabbits hidden in shrubbery and arrogant French soldiers on top of the castle walls.

Your a good steward of such a fine instrument Gutch,  I should see if I could get mercenary arrogant killer attack rabbits from France to protect my collection.  My luck would warrant a nice cute french lope eared bunny :o

Great idea!  you could name it Monty...  Monty Python...
‎"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything."
-- Plato

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2014, 11:37:08 AM »

Great idea!  you could name it Monty...  Monty Python...

When playing near the bridge, especially one guarded by a troll, it pays to know the airspeed of a sparrow.............
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 11:39:46 AM by Jersey tuning »
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

shorty

• Veteran Member
  • I love guitars way too much!
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2014, 02:56:04 PM »
I just love this guitar.  Some day I would love to own a all Koa Taylor K24 like the one Tony is playing in this video.  Beautiful wood, gorgeous fingerboard inlay, beautiful sound, and it will only get better for the lucky new owner.

http://acousticletter.com/shop/taylor-k24ce-grand-auditorium/

But of course I just got the last guitar I will ever need, right.

Not an all Koa but love the wood as well!! Just can't seem to look at it enough! Love the flame. Snagged an '08 Fall Ltd Koa and am blown away by the flame. I apologize if the pics are huge...still having issues posting pics!
2014 Taylor 614ce Florentine/Blackcherryburst
2013 Benedetto Bambino Deluxe
2012Taylor BTO GS Macassar/Redwood
2012 Martin GPCPA4
2011 Taylor Fall Ltd GS Cocobolo
2011 Taylor Fall Ltd GC 12 Fret Koa
2009 Taylor 814ce TSB
2008 Taylor 654ce
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GA Koa
2005 Takamine EAN10ce

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2014, 03:16:09 PM »
Very nice.  Yes the flame is real nice.  The mini wedge is a cool effect as well.  The pictures are just the right size.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2014, 03:21:26 PM »
Very nice.  Yes the flame is real nice.  The mini wedge is a cool effect as well.  The pictures are just the right size.
+4 :)
thanks for sharing the pics (perfect size) 8)
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

shorty

• Veteran Member
  • I love guitars way too much!
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2014, 04:02:19 PM »
Sorry if I kinda sidetracked your post, but at this point thought I should show you the Sitka soundboard..Thanks my friend!!
2014 Taylor 614ce Florentine/Blackcherryburst
2013 Benedetto Bambino Deluxe
2012Taylor BTO GS Macassar/Redwood
2012 Martin GPCPA4
2011 Taylor Fall Ltd GS Cocobolo
2011 Taylor Fall Ltd GC 12 Fret Koa
2009 Taylor 814ce TSB
2008 Taylor 654ce
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GA Koa
2005 Takamine EAN10ce

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2014, 04:34:02 PM »
I really like the abalone bridge and pins. 

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2014, 05:06:41 PM »
the features on the fall 08 LTD koa & cocobolo counterpart models made for a very nice package, imho -
adi CV bracing, abalone edged top, coco binding on the koa & koa on coco, matching backstraps, bone
nut & saddle, gotohs, 01-10 900 series headstock & bridge inlays, but the one aesthetic touch that
just is plain 8) is the micro pinstripe maple & ebony purfling ... truly, R Taylor level attention to detail :o

on another note, the fall 08 714ceLTD cedar/koa that was made along side was an exceptional value too -
to my ear, it's the perfect tonal accoutrement to a spring 09 sitka/madasgascar rosewood 714ceLTD ;)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 06:16:00 PM by michaelw »
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

jw3571

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2014, 02:37:48 PM »
What type of sound does Koa produce?  Is it more like Mahogany?

milo_otis

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2014, 08:11:21 AM »
What type of sound does Koa produce?  Is it more like Mahogany?

I wondered the same thing a few months back, before I had actually played any koa guitars. In my experience, they are like a combination of maple and mahogany when fairly new. I've had a chance to compare K26s vs. 526s and k24's vs. 524s and at first listen they sound very similar. After playing them back and forth and then having store associates play them to confirm what I hear, my observations are that they both have similar compression when played harder and have a more fundamental tone. Mahogany seems to handle being played harder just a bit better than koa in the GA size. (GS size is kind of a moot point. I haven't really met anyone that overdrives those regardless of wood combo). Mahogany has a bit more growl where as koa has a bit more shimmer. Some might say that it's more articulate or brighter. Mahogany is just a bit darker where koa is richer and has more overtones. Mahogany, at least in the beginning, has a firmer and more pronounced bass response where as koa has a spongy bass. Comparing a K26 to a 616 was interesting, too. The K26 had a similar articulation, but was just richer and had a more "human" voice. The mids tempered the highs so that while it still cut through the noise at the shop (they were doing construction at the time, which actually turned out to be great since it was the final "test" that I wanted to do) it was extremely pleasing to hear. The bass response was different in quality, (the spruce topped maple being firmed and the koa still spongy), but had the similar GS sized good presence.

As an example of what a few months of age and playing will do;

Both my koa and mahogany guitars have opened up, (I've recorded them with the same recorder, playing the same passages and in the same room under the same volume and background noise) and they don't sound all that similar. Granted one is a GS and the other a GC 12-fret, but they have both changed a bit. The bass and mids on the 522 have filled in even more and just blossomed. The koa has loosened and warmed up in the mids and seeming attenuated the "harsh" highs while maintaining its wonderful articulation and brightness while gaining more balance.

So after all of that I'd say koa is like a rich warm maple or a more overtone rich, articulate mahogany. I've played other brands (SGCG, Goodall, Collings, Bourgeios, Froggy Bottom) of koa guitars that have just reinforced my feelings.

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2014, 01:58:12 PM »

So after all of that I'd say koa is like a rich warm maple or a more overtone rich, articulate mahogany.

Well said - sometimes my koa Taylor GA sounds like a well-played old mahogany Martin, but I can relate to the maple reference as well. I think of koa as a "more fluid" mahogany, as mahogany's sound is a bit "drier". In any case, koa has its place as a great tonewood for back and sides.
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood