Author Topic: Re: GC suggestion, 12 or 14 fret?  (Read 5306 times)

M19

• Veteran Member
Re: GC suggestion, 12 or 14 fret?
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2014, 05:19:56 PM »
Ok, thank you so much for the tips guys! Will definitely give you a heads-up (and a picture) of what I ordered. But its certainly going to be a 14-fret short scale grand concert model. Just don't know the woods. Thinking of doing a BTO though...

Not trying to change your mind here, but it really does take a while to get used to the 12-fret short scale geometry. I played my Custom 12-fret Mahogany GC on my left leg for quite a while to allow my arm to stretch out more. Now, I play it just like my Lowden, and feel no difference in comfort.

Why did I give so much time to feel comfortable with it? Because it's a TONE MONSTER, that's why. It is the sweetest, woodiest, mellowist guitar I've ever played. And it's nothing at all like my Lowden, so I appreciate the difference all the more, and can sound like two different guitarists playing different styled songs on different guitars.

I guess I'm schizophrenic.  ;D
Marty B.
Multi-Brand Owner

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2014, 06:57:00 PM »
Ok, thank you so much for the tips guys! Will definitely give you a heads-up (and a picture) of what I ordered. But its certainly going to be a 14-fret short scale grand concert model. Just don't know the woods. Thinking of doing a BTO though...

Not trying to change your mind here, but it really does take a while to get used to the 12-fret short scale geometry. I played my Custom 12-fret Mahogany GC on my left leg for quite a while to allow my arm to stretch out more. Now, I play it just like my Lowden, and feel no difference in comfort.

Why did I give so much time to feel comfortable with it? Because it's a TONE MONSTER, that's why. It is the sweetest, woodiest, mellowist guitar I've ever played. And it's nothing at all like my Lowden, so I appreciate the difference all the more, and can sound like two different guitarists playing different styled songs on different guitars.

I guess I'm schizophrenic.  ;D

There is the other reason you have a tone master M19, the beautiful wood combo.,  Yes, mahogany top and mahogany back and sides. 
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

M19

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2014, 10:51:04 PM »
Agreed that the tops difference is very important. I think the move of the bridge down with the 12-fret design "leverages" the mahogany top to maximize the sweetness.
Marty B.
Multi-Brand Owner

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2014, 09:28:12 AM »

If you do a BTO, you have a lot of great wood and bracing options at your disposal to get you the sound you're looking for...have fun with your quest!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

raa2173

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2014, 09:27:50 PM »
Hi All!

A bit of an update on my grand concert purchase. I finally took the plunge on a BTO Koa. Always been fascinated by that wood ever since Taylor came up with the Kenny Loggins and Richie Sambora signature models. I read somewhere that Koa is kind of a gamble in terms of tone; its fairly inconsistent. However, I thought that I should get it over with especially considering that koa guitars with "good figuring" is hard to come by these days (the regular production Koa series are starting to look like mahogany guitars).

Anyway, from my testing of a K24ce, I love the bright sound of the guitar (over my Eng/IRW 714) and I heard that the low-end response of koa will improve over time. Ordered through Lincoln of Randee's Music, Chicago. He's a real pleasure to deal with. Here are the specs:

Grand Concert w/ Venetian Cutaway
14-fret, short-scale
AA-Koa Top
AA-Koa Back and Sides
Adirondack CV Bracing
Ebony Binding
White Fiber Purfling
Paua Single Rosette w/ bound soundhole
Tropical Vine Inlays
Standard headstock with koa headstock veneer
Mother of Pearl Taylor Logo
Gotoh 510 gold tuners
Gloss body, natural finish
Satin neck

Here are the Koa sets for the top and back/sides that I chose:

Topwood:
[/URL]

Back/Sides:
[/URL]

Again, thank you for your suggestions. Let me know what you think!

« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 11:30:37 PM by raa2173 »
2014 Taylor BTO All-Koa GC - "Blackacre"
2014 Taylor 312CE - "Barnie"

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2014, 09:44:32 PM »
Wow....she's going to be beautiful. Sapwood is cool! Looking forward to seeing the completed masterpiece.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2014, 09:47:19 PM »
... Let me know what you think!
:o

i think :o
the wood set & the appointments :o

the single ring paua rosette & ebony bound soundhole - R Taylor "vibe"
tropical vine inlay - my fave out of all of the inlays used on the Taylor koa series ( 04 L7)

adi CV & gotohs - sweet :)

i think i mentioned :o
very nice 8)
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2014, 03:39:55 PM »
Great specs! I believe you'll be very happy with the sound, especially with the Adi CV bracing. I've heard some very impressive all-koa Taylors in recent years, and the common denominator was that bracing. I'm so excited for you!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

cigarfan

• Veteran Member
  • If He comes today ...........are you ready?
    • I Ignite!
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2014, 06:44:19 PM »
Man, that sounds like an awesome guitar! Love your choices and the wood looks spectacular. Congrats. :)
Blackbird, Froggy Bottom, Gibson, Goodall, Hatcher,
Kanile'a, Kinnard, Kwasnycia, Martin, Rainsong,
Ryan, Santa Cruz, Taylor, Voyage Air, Weber

raa2173

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2014, 09:20:28 PM »
Thanks all! I am truly excited about the guitar. I requested my dealer to ask the Taylor rep to pick good AA koa woods, I was emailed a couple of sets and I chose the "wildest" koa wood set for me. As for the Adirondack CV bracing, I truly concur that it may make the all-koa guitar sound better. I heard that the top vibrates more with Adirondack CV bracing (hence, it could offset the perceived stiffness of the Koa topwood).

Not trying to be off-tangent, but I always (try) to give names to my guitars and such names usually immediately come off the top of my head (rather instinctively). For example, I call my Fender Custom Shop Strat (with the wildest flame maple neck you can ever imagine) "Barnie" - after my favorite Shih Tzu dog.

I have yet to think of a name for this lovely guitar but I guess I have 2 months to do so... What's the name of your Taylor? :D

2014 Taylor BTO All-Koa GC - "Blackacre"
2014 Taylor 312CE - "Barnie"