Poll

Which GS Mini Do You Presently Own (select all that apply)?

GSM - Spruce Top (sapele back/sides)
17 (22.1%)
GSM - Mahogany Top
31 (40.3%)
GSM & GSM Ltd - Rosewood back/sides
7 (9.1%)
GSM Ltd - Maple back/sides (does NOT include GSM-HV)
0 (0%)
GSM Ltd - Blackwood back/sides
3 (3.9%)
GSM Ltd - Koa back/sides
1 (1.3%)
GSM - Holden Village
17 (22.1%)
GSM Ltd - Quilted Sapele back/sides
1 (1.3%)

Total Members Voted: 64

Author Topic: How Many and What Types of GS Mini's Do We Have?  (Read 10843 times)

Dulcilo

Re: How Many and What Types of GS Mini's Do We Have?
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2014, 01:13:53 AM »
Just ordered the GS Mini-e in rosewood. I really liked the sound of the mahogany tops but wanted the built in pickup, which I didn't find with any of the mahogany tops. Why is that?

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2014, 03:02:36 PM »
I was thinking we had a lot more GSM's than this.
Looking like the hogs are out-numbering the spruce.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2014, 03:05:16 PM »

But it also appears that 58% are spruce tops if you add all the others (besides the hog tops) together....
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2014, 03:50:15 PM »

But it also appears that 58% are spruce tops if you add all the others (besides the hog tops) together....
Yes, I thought the same thing after I posted that comment.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 03:52:38 PM by TaylorGirl »
Susie

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2014, 04:49:17 PM »
Just ordered the GS Mini-e in rosewood. I really liked the sound of the mahogany tops but wanted the built in pickup, which I didn't find with any of the mahogany tops. Why is that?
the maple, rosewood & blackwood minis (no e) were 12 spring LTDs
http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/gs-mini-maple
http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/gs-mini-rosewood
http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/gs-mini-blackwood

the GS mini e mahogany came along some time later
http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/gs-mini-e-mahogany

the koa, rosewood & quilted sapele 'e' models were 13 fall LTDs
http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/gs-mini-e-koa
http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/gs-mini-e-rw
http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/gs-mini-e-qs

along with the koa & rosewood (no e) minis
http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/gs-mini-koa
http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/gs-mini-rosewood
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Frettingflyer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2014, 08:47:30 PM »
Found 2 GS Mini Hog e's at Advance Music in Burlington VT. last month, I lowered that number to 1 but they may still have it if interested. It had a really nice looking top too. I was happy because I thought I had missed my chance and had had no luck with internet searches or checking out Taylor dealers on my travels. The people at advance were awesome, and although I walked out without it and called a week later they shipped it to me at very reasonable cost. Couldn't be happier with them. FWIW.
Dave
Dave
2014 Koa GS Mini-e FLTD (for the wife)
2004 314ce,
2014 custom GC Coco/Euro spruce
2015 Wildwood 812ce 12 fret
2016 522ce 12 fret
2019 K24ce BE
2021 322e
2017 Blackbird Lucky 13
2019 Mcpherson Sable

stepchildusmc

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2014, 09:21:59 PM »
Found 2 GS Mini Hog e's at Advance Music in Burlington VT. last month, I lowered that number to 1 but they may still have it if interested. It had a really nice looking top too. I was happy because I thought I had missed my chance and had had no luck with internet searches or checking out Taylor dealers on my travels. The people at advance were awesome, and although I walked out without it and called a week later they shipped it to me at very reasonable cost. Couldn't be happier with them. FWIW.
Dave
i played those 2 Dave.
Steppy
2008 NAMM Hot Rod(GA)
2013 spring ltd. 616 ce
2013 616 ce(honeyburst)
2011 Adamas 2080Sr
2014 324
2014 GS mini Hog
2013 GS mini Spruce
2014 GS mini Engelmann (HV)
only thing lacking is the talent !

Dulcilo

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2014, 01:31:37 PM »
TAYLOR GS MINI-E ROSEWOOD is on its way from Elderly Instruments--I saw your post too late, Dave. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will arrive in good condition and with good action out of the box.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 01:40:40 PM by Dulcilo »

play2praiseHim

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2014, 01:57:42 PM »
I also have a GS Mini Blackwood 2012 Ltd.  I went to my local mom and pop looking for a mahogany top. I just happened to arrive when he delivery truck was dropping off the 3 new Ltd editions. I sat down to compare them all.  Many won't believe me, but my ears did hear a noticeable difference in all 4 models.  The standards Mini and the Maple were the brightest.   The rosewood had the deepest tone.  The Blackwood had that something special!!  It had superior projection and rumble to the notes. The tone was also the warmest of the bunch.  Meaning it had more mids and fatter trebles.  The top also had the greatest amount of silking.  This was the true standout of the bunch.   They didn't have a mahogany top model in stock at the time.  I did go to 3 different stores to compare my Blackwood with a mahogany top.  The mahogany tops were warmer with a lot less projection, clarity between the notes, and rumble.  The notes also had a quicker decay.  So the Blackwood also wins in the sustain department. 

On my last guitar store stop, that dealer had 2 of the 2012 Ltd's and a mahogany top in stock.  I tried them all and compared . Again, I found the same to be true. This dealer told me that the Blackwood sold the first day it came in and that it was again the standout of the bunch.   

My preference after the Blackwood would probably be to go for one of the englemann spruce topped maple Holden Village models, then a mahogany top,  followed by the rosewood.

But in all fairness, I can truly say that I have never played a GS Mini that I did not like.
I keep mine strung Nashville style.  It has an incredible  sweetness to the notes.
Lady Toni
2013 Gibson Hummingbird True Vintage Ltd.
2012 GS Mini LTD Tasmanian Blackwood

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2014, 02:05:03 PM »
I also have a GS Mini Blackwood 2012 Ltd.  I went to my local mom and pop looking for a mahogany top. I just happened to arrive when he delivery truck was dropping off the 3 new Ltd editions. I sat down to compare them all.  Many won't believe me, but my ears did hear a noticeable difference in all 4 models.  The standards Mini and the Maple were the brightest.   The rosewood had the deepest tone.  The Blackwood had that something special!!  It had superior projection and rumble to the notes. The tone was also the warmest of the bunch.  Meaning it had more mids and fatter trebles.  The top also had the greatest amount of silking.  This was the true standout of the bunch.   They didn't have a mahogany top model in stock at the time.  I did go to 3 different stores to compare my Blackwood with a mahogany top.  The mahogany tops were warmer with a lot less projection, clarity between the notes, and rumble.  The notes also had a quicker decay.  So the Blackwood also wins in the sustain department. 

On my last guitar store stop, that dealer had 2 of the 2012 Ltd's and a mahogany top in stock.  I tried them all and compared . Again, I found the same to be true. This dealer told me that the Blackwood sold the first day it came in and that it was again the standout of the bunch.   

My preference after the Blackwood would probably be to go for one of the englemann spruce topped maple Holden Village models, then a mahogany top,  followed by the rosewood.

But in all fairness, I can truly say that I have never played a GS Mini that I did not like.
I keep mine strung Nashville style.  It has an incredible  sweetness to the notes.

I agree with most all of that p2ph.  I don't think there is a very big difference between any of them.  I had the dealer play all of them with my back turned and I could notice a difference, but not much.  My favorite ended up being the rosewood LTD and I love it!
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2014, 02:51:45 PM »
TAYLOR GS MINI-E ROSEWOOD is on its way from Elderly Instruments--I saw your post too late, Dave. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will arrive in good condition and with good action out of the box.
Elderly has been my local music store since 1974. Your experience with Elderly should be a good one. They have a full staff of luthiers who set up all their instruments. They are highly respected and the folks are super to deal with. Enjoy your new GSM-E/RW!
Susie

Dulcilo

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2014, 05:07:27 PM »
My new Taylor MiniGS-e RW was delivered this morning by FedX. Free delivery from Elderly. Unfortunately, the G string broke immediately upon trying to tune it up. My bad? I was using a tuner so not sure what happened. Can't play it now until after I get to the store to buy a new one. Has anyone here changed the strings from the stock Elixir mediums to something else they like better?

pjroberts

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2014, 11:50:02 PM »
My new Taylor MiniGS-e RW was delivered this morning by FedX. Free delivery from Elderly. Unfortunately, the G string broke immediately upon trying to tune it up. My bad? I was using a tuner so not sure what happened. Can't play it now until after I get to the store to buy a new one. Has anyone here changed the strings from the stock Elixir mediums to something else they like better?

Yes, and I recommend you stay with a medium weight, or at worst, a medium light weight. I know a couple people who pass with lights, but you really lose some tone -- and some volume, though the GSM is not hurting in volume department.

Having said that, I would experiment with strings, depending on what you're looking for. On my first GSM hog, I achieved a warmer earthier tone with Ernie Ball earthwoods and also got over my light string thing using a custom mix of 54 and 11 (can't remember what's in between). I recently traded up (sideways:-) to an HV and am running some DR Rare PB Mediums -- their med's are what some call light with a 12 -54. Started off a bit too chimey, but they quickly mellowed out to a nice balanced growly tone, and the weight is great. I should note that since  I got the first GSM I have become more accustomed to Taylor's medium set ups, because I also have a big GS 816, running the EB mediums.

Strings are the easiest tone mod, it just take a some patience and a little dough. You gotta be ready to dump some if they don't jibe, and you need to basically do a science project ... maybe a week or 2 weeks of decent playing so you play them in and give them equal time. Def biggest bang for the buck , and with the sensitive GSM you can make some profound changes with the strings.
pj roberts | austin
Taylor 814ce [2015]  |  GS Mini Holden Valley
Others: SCGC, Martin, Collings, Halcyon & Goodall

pjroberts

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2014, 11:56:42 PM »
Many won't believe me, but my ears did hear a noticeable difference in all 4 models.  The standards Mini and the Maple were the brightest.   The rosewood had the deepest tone.  The Blackwood had that something special!!  It had superior projection and rumble to the notes. The tone was also the warmest of the bunch.  Meaning it had more mids and fatter trebles.  The top also had the greatest amount of silking.  This was the true standout of the bunch.   They didn't have a mahogany top model in stock at the time.  I did go to 3 different stores to compare my Blackwood with a mahogany top.  The mahogany tops were warmer with a lot less projection, clarity between the notes, and rumble.  The notes also had a quicker decay.  So the Blackwood also wins.

I totally believe you, because the different top woods make a significant difference. I think what people say (mostly, Bob T included) is that the back and side laminate woods do not vary the tone much, because laminates sound similar. But that still leaves a lot of play with the top. Look at those different tops, quite a range to play with there.

But in the end, they all have one thing in common! Most of them are a great all-around package and a sweet deal. Look at Steppy with his arsenal of 3.
pj roberts | austin
Taylor 814ce [2015]  |  GS Mini Holden Valley
Others: SCGC, Martin, Collings, Halcyon & Goodall

Guzzijeff

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2014, 12:47:37 AM »
I started with the original Spruce/Sapele mini... Loved it so much that I reserved a Blackwood Ltd when they were announced (wanted 2 for different locations). When I went to pick up the Blackwood my dealer also had the Maple and Rosewood Ltds. The Rosewood was real flamey and sounded so sweet that I decided on the spot to sell my Sapele mini..... and left with both the Blackwood and the Rosewood.  And then.... I heard about the Holden Village Mini!!!  Sooo, now I've got 3!  :)   They are addicting!  I'm trying so hard to stay away from my dealer... but those Mahogany topped minis really do sound mellow!