Author Topic: History of the Grand Symphony?  (Read 8872 times)

ntotoro

Re: History of the Grand Symphony?
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2014, 11:54:15 AM »
It's a shame they don't have all the W&S archived on their website. I find them to be pretty valuable for the information.

They used to. Not sure why they no longer do.

Nick
2000 Baby Mahogany
2012 GS5e-12 (Mahogany/Cedar w/ ES2 as a Taylor prototype)
2012 GAce-N-FLTD
2013 516e-FLTD
2015 526e
2015 326e SEB Baritone

Guzzijeff

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2014, 01:11:14 AM »
Great info with lots of details!  One small correction.. The GS debuted in 2006.  I owned a 2006 Taylor GSRC (which became the GS7 in 2007).  Best sounding and most versatile guitar I've ever owned!  Sadly had to sell it because of shoulder problems.  Those 2006 models had the finger joint at the neck/headstock.

mikeguywest

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2014, 11:44:02 AM »

[/quote]Thanks! With a little google ingenuity I was able to come up with a pdf of that issue and was able to read all about it. Fan-tastic.

It's a shame they don't have all the W&S archived on their website. I find them to be pretty valuable for the information.
[/quote]

Could you post a link to what you found? I tried a quick search and got stuff on hard metals, and some references to the magazine, but not what you found. I have a GS8e and would like to see the it's beginnings.

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2014, 12:59:59 PM »
it's not the whole issue, but i found this
http://images.thomann.de/pics/prod/190329_folder.pdf

Great info with lots of details!  One small correction.. The GS debuted in 2006...

larry breedlove & ed granero contributed greatly in the development of the
RTS1 in 05 & the design was adapted into the GS model the following year ...
the year following 05 is 06, so i didn't think it was necessary to put the date in, but ok, an omission -
the RTS1 was available in 05
http://www.acousticmusic.org/R.Taylor-Guitars-mid-11-p-1.html
& the GS released a year later, in 06 (MC, MS, RC & RS), with the designation changing
to 5, 6, 7 & 8 in 07 & the GS-K being added in the latter half the same year (also 07)
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

deepermagic

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2014, 02:40:21 PM »

Thanks! With a little google ingenuity I was able to come up with a pdf of that issue and was able to read all about it. Fan-tastic.

Could you post a link to what you found? I tried a quick search and got stuff on hard metals, and some references to the magazine, but not what you found. I have a GS8e and would like to see the it's beginnings.

The link michealw posted above is the pdf I found

Geez

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2014, 03:04:22 PM »
So...if it's not off subject too far...my quandry is this: I've decided in favor of the new 2014 model but the new 814's don't seem to be as readily avalible as the new 816's. I saw and played one of the new 816's at a local shop over the weekend and really enjoyed it.  I have a '13 Spring LTD 614ce, and a K24ce and I do certainly enjoy the GA shape. A part of me is thinking of get the new 816 as opposed to the 814...which has always been my "go to".

All that hinging on being able to do something with my current 814.

Opinions???

edited for content
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 03:37:41 PM by UTGF-Team »
1994 Ovation Celebrity Elite
2006 Takamine GS340
2011 Taylor NS24 nylon
2012 Martin GPCPA4 Rosewood
2013 Taylor K24ce
2013 Taylor Spring LTD 614ce (African)
2013 Taylor GS Mini
2014 HV GS Mini
2014 GS Mini Hog
2014 Taylor 814ce
2014 Taylor 816e
2014 GS Mini Koa

BathTimeStrummer

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2014, 04:53:03 PM »
Geez, I played the 2014 816ce for a solid hour the other day and I'm in love, but I grew up on a dread, so the GS is a good compromise for me. If you play for long periods or find medium strings stiff, the GS may not be for you. I'm a 6-foot tall 35yo dude, and after playing my 316ce for several hours, my shoulder burns. I'm trying out medium-lights right now, but I think I'm going back to PB Mediums at next string change. My strum to finger-pick ratio is probably 60% strum to 40% FP. I've already made up my mind that my next guitar will be an 814ce. I'm trying to get good enough to deserve it at the moment, however. The GS tends to pitch towards the low end and the thicker strings really make it boom. However, if your "pickings" have some complexity to them, you may find that some of the articulation gets lost or, at least, overwhelmed by the deeper tones in the GS. That's my opinion anyway, FWIW... (not much!  ;D)
2014 T5z Custom (Koa)
2013 316ce (Sitka/Sapele)
2014 Holden Village GS Mini (Engelmann/Maple)
1998 Fender DG-7

Geez

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2014, 05:26:42 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I'm more a "singer" than a "player" and I'm 90% strumming (so why do I need such an incredible guitar...other than just 'cause I want it).  I'm also a "sitter" not a "stander" and from the little time I spent with the 816ce, it seemed to cradle on my knee quite nicely.  I've still always been attracted to the *14 body shape for some reason.  I listen to a you tube video today of a side by side comparison the new 814 vs the new 816 and the sound was surprisingly hard to differentiate. I don't really need to make a decision between the 2, however, until my current 814ce sells.
2006 Takamine GS340
2011 Taylor NS24 nylon
2013 Taylor K24ce
2013 Taylor GS Mini
2014 HV GS Mini
2014 GS Mini Hog
2014 Taylor 814ce
2014 Taylor 816e
2014 GS Mini Koa

guitarsrsoawesome

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2014, 08:35:44 AM »
Thanks for the reply. I'm more a "singer" than a "player" and I'm 90% strumming (so why do I need such an incredible guitar...other than just 'cause I want it).  I'm also a "sitter" not a "stander" and from the little time I spent with the 816ce, it seemed to cradle on my knee quite nicely.  I've still always been attracted to the *14 body shape for some reason.  I listen to a you tube video today of a side by side comparison the new 814 vs the new 816 and the sound was surprisingly hard to differentiate. I don't really need to make a decision between the 2, however, until my current 814ce sells.

In person i would have to say that the x16 carries more volume and is a bit "boomier" This is pretty evident when strummed with any ferocity.
November 2013 Taylor 514ce ES2
November 2011 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany

deepermagic

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2014, 10:55:38 AM »

To my ear the x14 sounds brighter and tighter than the x16, where the x16 sounds like you could jump in and swim in it. It's definitely a different tone, but neither is better. Just different. I prefer the x16 sound for my playing style. I'd say I'm 90% strumming too. Taylor promotes the GS as their big bold strummer for a reason. It's not just marketing, it's truth brotha! ;)

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2014, 05:18:11 PM »
before letting your 814ce go, i would try a few things, if you haven't experimented with it already -
phosphor bronze strings, a pick in the 0.88mm range & a different saddle (NuBone, micarta or bone)

if you have a chance to compared your 08 (october 2008 is the start date, right ?) 814ce to a current model, that
would give you the best idea first-hand of the tonal contrast, but to my ear, the strings & saddle contribute a good bit -
that being said, most of the players that i know that are comfortable with the X14 shape generally end up sticking with it, after
trying out & owning GS models, not because of the body shape or string gauge, but because for them the X14 is the best "fit"
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Geez

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2014, 11:10:41 PM »
...Let me be sure I've said it, I love my 814 and it's sound.  I've been using the PB lights and just put a new set on last week.  I won't be the least bit disappointed if I don't sell it.  I have just found myself GASing for the new 2014's and having to part with my current 814 would be the only way I can make the move. 

...hard to compare unless they're side by side.

Ooooh, this first point says it all, friend!  I have personally found (the hard way) that selling a known entity for a "desired outcome" can lead to losing a great guitar; then regret!  Don't do it.  Never sell a guitar based on what you "want" to hear or "think" you'd like. 

Here's the real solution IMHO: buy the guitar you want, and live with the two side by side, taking your time, on your own terms, playing them often.  It will not take long (at least hasn't for me) for the one you like better to gravitate to the top.  The other, while you may still have pangs to keep it, will be far easier to sell once you've bonded in real terms (not GAS terms) with the superior tone and fit of the one you reach for.  The obvious hardship here is the funds: you'd have to be wiling to float the bill for however long it takes to decide then sell.  But IMHO, that is far cheaper than regret, not to mention the loss of a great instrument for one you had hoped would be.  FWIW, I had BTDT, and vowed never to do it again. been happier ever since.   Just sayin ;)

Edward
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 10:32:57 AM by Edward »
2006 Takamine GS340
2011 Taylor NS24 nylon
2013 Taylor K24ce
2013 Taylor GS Mini
2014 HV GS Mini
2014 GS Mini Hog
2014 Taylor 814ce