Author Topic: Road Show Report  (Read 3373 times)

deepermagic

Road Show Report
« on: April 15, 2014, 12:52:08 PM »
I attended my first Road Show last night in Shawnee, KS. I showed up about 30 mins early to a crowd of about 20, but the place filled up extremely fast after that. There was virtually no more room to sit once the show started. Folks were standing at the back of the store. If I had to guess I'd say there was close to 80-100 people there. PACKED. But I got a good seat. Second row  ;D

Pic from my seat

The folks who attended really knew there stuff. They asked the right (and good) questions that showed experience with the guitar as well as Taylor guitars. I appreciated the questions because some were asked that I would have never thought of. I sat next to another Taylor owner who happens to do voice work for a local radio station. Immediate connection as we both owned Taylor guitars and it turned out to be some great conversation. Just wanted to highlight that the people who attended augmented the show.

The show itself was quite informative. I basically knew most of the info "on paper" but it was good to see that info being put to use by demonstration. They played through every body style, which was great to hear. I came away more appreciation for the Grand Concert and what it can do. They really touched on all the great things about each body shape, but to my disappointment they didn't talk much about the GS. Only saying that it's the GA's big brother and it's the "big bold strummer". (though later he mentioned something about the history of it which I'll save for another thread). My consolation though, was that all of the examples of the tonewoods were done (mostly) with the GS ;)

They then highlighted the basic three wood tones:

-Indian Rosewood (big on the lows and highs, scoops midrange)
-Mahogany (big on the midrange)
-Maple (bright, highly articulate, little reverberation)

Then they brought out the all Koa guitar and claimed that Koa more or less combines all three of these tones together (perhaps subjective...though when played I could see what they were saying). He explained how precious the koa wood is and how Bob Taylor makes every opportunity to get the best Koa. He said there is a joke in the industry that when a Koa tree falls...Bob Taylor hears it.

Ovangkol and Sapele were asked about and the answers given were that Ovangkol is a rosewood and so the range is similar to Indian Rosewood but with a bit of sparkle. Same thing with Sapele, it's related to mahogany with a bit of sparkle. Aside from offhandedly saying that he considered Ovangkol a dark horse, this was basically the only time they mentioned these woods.

Walnunt and Sinker Redwood made an appearance as well. They brought a blinged to the max Redwood/Cocobolo that was droolworthy.

He did mention that you can normally use the color of the wood to help determine the sound. Darker woods give us warmer sounds, lighter woods give us brighter sounds. (Although they did have a beautiful dark stained Maple that defied that advice...heh)

The Petting Zoo happened at 'halftime', and it was literally a zoo. I tried to play as many as I could get my hands on, but it was pretty difficult to get hands on anything. Due to the guitars being on the wall (with untrustworthy fixtures to boot) the rule was that you must have an employee or Taylor staff hand you one. So maybe 6-7 staff for 70 people wanting to play...madhouse. But I did get my hands on about 4 guitars. I played that stained maple I mentioned (directly above the guitar player's head in the pic). It was just handed to me without asking so I jammed on it. Next was the Koa (not pictured) from the demonstration (although I really wanted to play the Koa...three to the right of the stained maple...couldn't get my hands on it). I think I played the redwood (cutaway next to the koa above) but honestly I don't remember. It was like war in there :o But I do remember trying out the new 818ce (pictured furthest to the right) and spent the most time with this (because I couldn't find anyone to hand it back to). I tried to sneak off to a quiet place with it but there was no quiet place. I liked it, but came away with the feeling that I wasn't blown away like I thought I would. It sounded good, but just didn't sound...I don't know...that much different from a GS. But I'll not knock it until I try it again in a quieter atmosphere.

Which leads us to the second part of the show, the new 800 series. I was surprised how quickly they went through this part. Basically it was, here is the new stuff. This. This. and This. It's great. Any questions? I figured it would be a more detailed explanation (even though I'm already familiar with it) but it did open up a lot of time for questions. I learned new things about the new pickup, which I'm not sure if I'm sold on it yet since I haven't heard it compared to the old one. After I was driving home I was kicking myself for not asking them to do a side by side comparison (which, surely they would have done).

One thing they said about it at the beginning though I found rather interesting, and I wonder if it is in reaction to the new 800 series. He asked how many of us thought the Taylor tone was the best on the market. Most hands raised. Then he said imagine about 80% of Taylor owners think this way and 20% are not convinced that Taylor has the best tone. Then he said the new redesign is aimed at those 20%. He said the new redesign (aside from Bob Taylor always wanting to push the boundaries and never wanting to stop innovation...that's a given, right?) is essentially a different flavor. Some of those 80% may not care as much for this flavor. He compared it to going to Baskin Robbins and asking what is the best flavor of ice cream. There is no answer, only different tastes. Basically he presented the new redesign as a different flavor for those who aren't yet convinced about Taylor having the best tone. Taylor thinks the redesign will bring them in.

Then lastly they gave a great demonstration of the new T5z, which I must say I was highly impressed with how versatile it is. Being an acoustic guy, not really paying that much attention to electric guitars, this one was not on my radar. If ever I find myself in a situation to go that route, or if anyone asks for a recommendation, it's the T5. Simply a phenomenal guitar. A whole new appreciation for it and the creativity at Taylor.

There was more, but that's a good summary of the night. I was the first person called for the drawing and won some medium strings (prizes were strings (med&light, no hd lights), a shirt, or picks. Stickers were free for all).

If I missed anything feel free to ask. I had a great time and would go back to another in a heartbeat.

$
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 09:22:45 PM by UTGF-Team »

AVTaylor83

Re: Road Show Report
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 03:46:59 PM »
Thanks for sharing!

I can see Taylor's "80% vs. 20%" perspective on tone.  You still have folks that are drawn to the playability and quality of Taylor, but want a more vintage sound like you'd get from a Gibson or Martin.  After playing one of the new 814's recently, I personally don't prefer that 'flavor'.  What drew me to Taylor was the bright 'crisp' tone.  But I think Taylor has the market cornered on that.  It makes sense for them to broaden their sound more.  For me, most Martin's sound about the same.  Just about every Gibson I play sounds the same.  But with Taylor, I can play a variety of wood combinations and get noticeably different tones.  Taylor still makes it easy to acquire a guitar with the old bracing options.
2022 AD27e Flametop - maple
2016 514ce Fall Ltd - cedar/granadillo

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 10:23:23 PM »
Sounds like you had a great time ...thanks for the detailed account!

I love going to these RoadShows.  Sure the swag is always nice, but I particularly like watching the talent up close and personal!  Like you, I get in early and try to grab a close seat, if only to watch the player do his thing.  I've been to 3 so far and never left disappointed.  And at one of the shows, there was maybe 20 guys total ...and that inlcuded the rep, player, and employees!  Made for a much nicer zoo time ;)

Any one guitar made you go "hmmm"?

Edward

deepermagic

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 02:07:43 PM »
Sounds like you had a great time ...thanks for the detailed account!

I love going to these RoadShows.  Sure the swag is always nice, but I particularly like watching the talent up close and personal!  Like you, I get in early and try to grab a close seat, if only to watch the player do his thing.  I've been to 3 so far and never left disappointed.  And at one of the shows, there was maybe 20 guys total ...and that inlcuded the rep, player, and employees!  Made for a much nicer zoo time ;)

Any one guitar made you go "hmmm"?

Edward

The Grand Concert (in walnut i think) caused me to do a double take. Woah. Louder than I thought. I don't have a real desire to purchase one, but I was really impressed. Made me wonder a bit more about walnut too

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 05:26:26 PM »
Yeah, it's always cool to hear the "surprise" guitar.  :)

Edward

MB

• Veteran Member
  • It's a journey...
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 08:17:19 PM »
Excellent report Magic! Thank you!
The joke about Bob hearing a Koa tree when it falls made me shoot iced tea out my nose so thanks for that too!
I'm excited to go to the road show in May in my neck of the woods!
I hope the zoo is not a war zone as you described.
You've got me thinking that I should ask them to do an A/B on the ES and ES2.

Besides the sensor being behind the saddle instead of under it, did they reveal anything else about ES2?
Did they have any 12 stringers at the show? Maybe a new 150e? Any discussion about 12 strings at all?

Thanks again for a great report!

stepchildusmc

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 08:31:00 PM »
nice summation DM ! i've yet to make a roadshow...drove by one on the way to the airport last year... does that count?
Steppy
2008 NAMM Hot Rod(GA)
2013 spring ltd. 616 ce
2013 616 ce(honeyburst)
2011 Adamas 2080Sr
2014 324
2014 GS mini Hog
2013 GS mini Spruce
2014 GS mini Engelmann (HV)
only thing lacking is the talent !

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 12:23:17 AM »
Hey MB,

They did an ES vs ES2 at the RS I was at last.  Unfortunately it was so heavily laden with bass and reverb it was largely meaningless IMHO, except that the obvious difference in volume is immediately apparent (they went unbalanced on the ES).  Hopefully they'll do the comparo at yours, and also hopefully a better demo as well, but it is worth asking if ya ask me. :)

Edward

deepermagic

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 12:41:49 PM »
Excellent report Magic! Thank you!
The joke about Bob hearing a Koa tree when it falls made me shoot iced tea out my nose so thanks for that too!
I'm excited to go to the road show in May in my neck of the woods!
I hope the zoo is not a war zone as you described.
You've got me thinking that I should ask them to do an A/B on the ES and ES2.

Besides the sensor being behind the saddle instead of under it, did they reveal anything else about ES2?
Did they have any 12 stringers at the show? Maybe a new 150e? Any discussion about 12 strings at all?

Thanks again for a great report!

Yeah it's worth asking if they don't do it. They were pretty much open to all suggestions. Other than the relocation of the pickup they didn't give any other info.

There was a 12 stringer there that I didn't notice until after the zoo. No mention/discussion about it. If I recall it was a dred, but couldn't tell if it was a 150e.

deepermagic

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 12:43:37 PM »
Taylor posted a picture of the stained maple I mentioned above on facebook

83SanDimas

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 03:48:01 PM »
Love the road shows.  Great to play so many well set up guitars.  Much better than how the big boys by us hang them on the wall.

Pie

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2014, 04:08:06 PM »
Is there a show coming to Connecticut?

MB

• Veteran Member
  • It's a journey...
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2014, 09:02:25 PM »
Is there a show coming to Connecticut?

Hello Pie,
You can check the Taylor road show schedule here: http://www.taylorguitars.com/events/road-show
Good Luck!

ntotoro

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2014, 12:01:52 PM »
Road shows are also great places to find oddball Taylors or prototypes. That was where I found my GS5e-12 with a cedar top and the ES2.

Nick
2000 Baby Mahogany
2012 GS5e-12 (Mahogany/Cedar w/ ES2 as a Taylor prototype)
2012 GAce-N-FLTD
2013 516e-FLTD
2015 526e
2015 326e SEB Baritone

Pie

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2014, 06:52:05 PM »
Thank you-MB