Author Topic: New HV GS Mini, what are your thoughts?  (Read 4522 times)

Shea

New HV GS Mini, what are your thoughts?
« on: April 09, 2014, 01:04:09 PM »
Hello and I hope everyone is doing well today.  I am a relatively new guitar player and I recently purchased my first Taylor guitar, the Holden Village GS Mini.  I was really excited about the choices of wood for this guitar and really like the size and playability of the GS Mini in general.  I received my guitar and I have a question regarding the top of my guitar and was looking for some opinions from people who are better informed than me on such matters.  I'll post a few pictures and would love some feedback.  I guess my question is pertaining to one specific area on the top that looks like a large "scar" or "knot", while in my opinion it is pretty cosmetically unappealing I am more concerned if this will effect the tone of this guitar or if over the long haul this could be a potential structural problem.  As I said I am somewhat of a guitar newbie and would appreciate some honest feedback and opinions.  Thanks.

Here are those pictures :

And a closeup:

DennisG

• Veteran Member
  • Veni Vidi Velcro: I came, I saw, I stuck around
Re: New HV GS Mini, what are your thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 01:15:43 PM »
Hi Shea,

And welcome to the site.

What you're referring to is known as bear-clawing, for obvious reasons.  It's a natural pattern in spruce, and many guitars have it.  Some people love it; some don't.  But it has zero effect, now or in the future, on the tone of the guitar.

Just play it and enjoy the heck out of it.
-------------------------------------
'21 Goodall GC - master redwood/Macassar ebony
'18 Taylor K14-BE
'18 Taylor 114e
'21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
'15 Martin uke

Jimmer

• My first Taylor is a GS Mini
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 02:51:49 PM »
Welcome to the group. You will find a lot of helpful friendly folks here.
As Dennis said there is nothing structurally wrong. And I'm sure it will sound beautiful. Question is... can you live with it. It sounded like you did not care for it. Like Dennis also said... some like it others not so much. Personally I think it adds character. But that's just my opinion.
Last but not least... CONGATS on your new friend.

Jimmer   
GSMini
214sb

HAPPYDAN

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 03:13:23 PM »
Welcome to the Holden Village Mini club! +1 on what's been said - all of them are slightly different and they all sound good! I've seen one with a perfectly clean, blonde soundboard, and the owner was envious of mine b/c it has amber stripes! Go figure. I think yours has an interesting focal point, like a tattoo or beauty mark on a girl's private place. They are sure to become collector's items, so if you absolutely hate it, just hold on to it for a few years and sell it - you'll probably make some money! ;D

BathTimeStrummer

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 04:03:23 PM »
I just got my HV GS Mini a week or so ago, so welcome to the club that I just recently joined. I'll echo others in the "bear claw affecting sound" discussion, but I'll add that I believe that ALL of the subtle variations in wood density and growth patterns probably sum up to some difference in tone. I think each slight difference is minute, however. Their cumulative effects may make a difference, but I can't see how a single "bear claw" would make one bit of appreciable difference in tone--either positively or negatively.

Your guitar is unique... just like everybody else's!  ;)
2014 T5z Custom (Koa)
2013 316ce (Sitka/Sapele)
2014 Holden Village GS Mini (Engelmann/Maple)
1998 Fender DG-7

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 04:27:46 PM »
Like the bear claw.  Is it symmetrically on the other side as well?
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

stepchildusmc

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 08:29:40 PM »
as an owner of an HV mini with a perfectly clean, blonde soundboard( happydan, i've narrowed down the search... i have the neighborhood down but not the right house yet... Mrs. Olson's flowers need watering and dont disturb her when she's in the tub... thought i had the right house that time... Doh ! ), i like the Bearclaw on yours. it really breaks up the starkness and gives it a lot more character.
Steppy
2008 NAMM Hot Rod(GA)
2013 spring ltd. 616 ce
2013 616 ce(honeyburst)
2011 Adamas 2080Sr
2014 324
2014 GS mini Hog
2013 GS mini Spruce
2014 GS mini Engelmann (HV)
only thing lacking is the talent !

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 10:46:07 PM »
nice bearclaw :)

some feel that bearclaw is a good thing -
from the pantheon website
http://www.pantheonguitars.com/tonewoods.htm

"Before leaving the spruces, I should mention bearclaw figure, or hazelficte-a delightful pattern in the grain occasionally occurring in all species of spruce.
Bearclaw, like the curl in curly maple, is a rippling of the longitudinal fibers, which divides the surface of the wood into shimmering patterns.
Unlike the even waves that usually occur in maple, bearclaw usually appears on asymmetrical or randomly broken patterns.
This phenomenon almost always occurs in older trees that have dense, stiff grain structure and high sound velocity.
Thus bearclaw is usually a reliable indicator of the better examples of tonewoods within any given species of spruce."

thanks for sharing the pics -
congrats & welcome, shea 8)
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Scriptor

• Veteran Member
  • What His holiness demands, His grace has supplied
    • RickLangdon.com
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 11:03:02 PM »
The bearclaw notwithstanding, the wood grain on that spruce is really nice ... I'd keep it if it were me but the choice is yours ... it is not going to effect the tone nor does it represent a flaw or structural concern, but if it bothers you, then you shouldn't be satisfied with our opinions ... how does it sound?
-- Scriptor

Featured demo: http://www.ricklangdon.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/58-Weeping-in-Ramah-mix-2.mp3

For more very simple demos of original music recorded with Taylor guitars: http://www.ricklangdon.com

Shea

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014, 12:12:26 AM »
Well thank you all for the warm welcomes and the info, that's exactly what I was looking for and why I came here.

So bear claw it is, after doing a few google searches I now have a better understanding of what am looking at and convinced it's not something you all made up to try to make me feel better, lol.  I can't say I am a huge fan of this particular bear clawing as of right now (I did see some examples on the internet that were really stunning) as it kind of throws off any sense of symmetry and/or consistency on this top.  However I don't think it's a deal break, now that I understand it's only cosmetic maybe it will grow on me.  It does seem to have a really tight grain pattern as Scriptor mentioned which I understand is generally speaking a good thing.  I mean sound is what I'm really after and it seems to sound pretty good to my ear.  It also plays really nice and easy and seems to have volume I wouldn't think you would get out of a smaller guitar. 

I appreciate all the honest feedback and opinions.  I'll leave you all with another picture or two, while I go practice.  Thanks again.

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2014, 06:51:54 AM »
I think your new HV GSM is beautiful. I love bear claw and the uniqueness it brings to the guitar. Mother nature isn't perfect and the various wood grains show that sometimes....in a good way. The back has nice curl to it. I know it's a personal thing and everyone is different. If it really bothers you, maybe you should see if they will take it back. You are the one that has to decide on that. It sounds like you are happy with the guitar's tone. If you have a little time, maybe give it some thought....it might grow on you.  Good luck with your decision and welcome to the forum.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

mikeguywest

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2014, 12:49:06 PM »
Nice grain all around. My GS8e has a good deal of Bear Claw. I wasn't sure at first either until I did some research and found that the odd marks were not worm tunnels like the ones I saw so often when cutting fire wood. Some of mine are symetrical (4" wide center ribbon) and some are simply add marks. I do like the uniqueness of my top - It's like no others. I read that some of the greatest violin makers prefer the Bear Claw because of density and tonality, but I'm not sure if I can tell a difference. All I know is that I love the sound of mine. Glory in the uniqueness of yours! Here are some pics of mine.

Scriptor

• Veteran Member
  • What His holiness demands, His grace has supplied
    • RickLangdon.com
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2014, 03:08:35 PM »
That is one pretty little GS Mini IMO ...
-- Scriptor

Featured demo: http://www.ricklangdon.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/58-Weeping-in-Ramah-mix-2.mp3

For more very simple demos of original music recorded with Taylor guitars: http://www.ricklangdon.com

stepchildusmc

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2014, 08:28:32 PM »
if you were in NY, I'd trade in a heartbeat. Engelmann is a very difficult wood to get your hands on nowadays. any that you can find on a guitar is a keeper.
Steppy
2008 NAMM Hot Rod(GA)
2013 spring ltd. 616 ce
2013 616 ce(honeyburst)
2011 Adamas 2080Sr
2014 324
2014 GS mini Hog
2013 GS mini Spruce
2014 GS mini Engelmann (HV)
only thing lacking is the talent !

BigSkyTaylorPlayer

• Veteran Member
  • Are we there yet.....
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2014, 10:20:27 PM »
Hi Shea and welcome to the forum!

I think your mini looks great, I would trade you too.  Personally I love anything that makes my guitar "special" or different from the rest.  I love bear claw and was hoping for some on my HV Mini.  I got a bit of striping...I don't know if one can ask for something as I think they are all boxed up and ready to go at Taylor.

I love the Mini's, I had one when they first came out but traded it for a Koa 12 string that Cigarfan tried to hide in his hat when he visited for a jam a few months ago,....ha.  That's ok, I got caught trying to hide his Kinnard uke......when he wasn't looking.. ;D

Anyway....back to the Mini.  I think these are great little guitars and happy to have one.  I had been wanting a maple guitar but didn't really want to pay the $$ for a 600 series, this fit the bill perfectly.