Author Topic: 2014 812 ce vs 2012 GC8 - expect the 812 to "break in"?  (Read 3279 times)

Veloz

2014 812 ce vs 2012 GC8 - expect the 812 to "break in"?
« on: April 08, 2014, 09:21:15 AM »
So I've been drooling over the aesthetics of the new 800 series and am now the owner, at least temporarily, of a new 812ce.

It is a beautiful thing to look at and is really fine craftsmanship.

It plays well (stiffer than my GC8 , on which I use Elixir PB lights) and the tone is really nice -- sweet and clear without being harsh or brassy.

What I had hoped for though was a bit more resonance, or depth, to the sound, It's a fairly "light" sounding guitar.  I'm comparing this to my GC8 which is the same body size and which sounds amazing full and rich for its size, by comparison.

One question I have is weather or not the 812ce is as likely to "break in" as my GC8 was? 

With the GC8, after a couple months of playing I literally woke up one day, played the GC8 and thought "What the heck happened to this guitar overnight? It sounded like its sound grew by a factor 2!"

If the 812 is likely to have this same sonic change, then it would be a wonderful thing. If the tone doesn't get "louder/fuller", I will probably keep my GC8 and save myself a considerable chunk of change.

I know "break ins" vary guitar by guitar - but I'm wondering if the new design of the 800 series are likely to prevent "break in" like I experienced with the GC8.. I.e., I know there's a thinner finish on the 800's, possibly a thinner top, etc, etc. Hard to know if these changes are likely to "prevent" a change in tone that we refer to as "break in".

Any thoughts would be welcomed!
Michael

TaylorMate

• Bard since the Sixties
    • Blogboek
Re: 2014 812 ce vs 2012 GC8 - expect the 812 to "break in"?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 10:07:09 AM »
I would be very hesitant to buy such an expensive guitar while not being happy with its sound NOW. By breaking it in - probably over the years! - it might than become an even better sounding guitar, but it should be fine right now, as it is, in your hands. I would expect the thinner top and finish to be less sensitive to the breaking  process (if any...). Life is too short for the wrong guitar :-\
If you dig it, do it; if you dig it a lot, do it twice (Jim Croce)

Lyrics and music: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6gaSzHsXOYq-j_eQH6IwsW_K0S3CHfbk

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 05:57:23 PM »
Given the vagaries of wood as it ages, I would not get my hopes up.  It may change subtly, or dramatically; or not at all in terms you can perceive.  I personally do not put any stock into the "opening up" mantra many espouse.  Sure guilts change as they get played in over years, but if they don't make me excited to play it every time I pick it up, I see zero point in keeping such an animal.  We're I you, I'd play it a bit more, living with both for a time, then deciding ultimately which is the better fit.  Good luck to ya! :D

Edward

Scriptor

• Veteran Member
  • What His holiness demands, His grace has supplied
    • RickLangdon.com
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 07:10:15 PM »
Yep, wood ages and thus guitars change over time ... however, it is unlikely that a "dud" will become a "treasure" over the years ... I say if you like the guitar to begin with, you may perceive that it gets better over time as a result of you getting accustomed to the feel, tone and voice of the instrument ... a breaking in period for the player, if you will ... I think Bob Taylor had it right when he observed that many don't keep their guitars long enough ... however, I have had a least one experience with a Taylor that was OK upon arrival but just never spoke to me over time ... when I wanted to grab a guitar to play, it was never on the list, so in the end we parted ways and I have no regrets ...

I have a couple that I would never wish to sell ... they sounded good day one and even better to me now ... it is a joy to play them every time .. that is the test of a keeper ...

Keep that guitar and give a good chance before you make a final decision about it ... I have heard far too many stories of folks who sold guitars and regretted it for years ... don't want to go there ... 
-- Scriptor

Featured demo: http://www.ricklangdon.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/58-Weeping-in-Ramah-mix-2.mp3

For more very simple demos of original music recorded with Taylor guitars: http://www.ricklangdon.com

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 07:24:22 PM »

I know "break ins" vary guitar by guitar - but I'm wondering if the new design of the 800 series are likely to prevent "break in" like I experienced with the GC8.. I.e., I know there's a thinner finish on the 800's, possibly a thinner top, etc, etc. Hard to know if these changes are likely to "prevent" a change in tone that we refer to as "break in".

Any thoughts would be welcomed!
Michael

You 're amongst the pioneers on this one.  I suppose in theory the lighter finish might allow quicker break-in
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

Silvertop

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 11:28:34 PM »
I also have to agree,one day I was playing my 410ce and I could just feel the the vibrations in my chest.  When we run through each weeks music before we take it to sat. Night practice my wife ( lead vocal) stands to the left of me or plugs one ear. They just don't get louder they get clearer/ fuller.