Author Topic: Another Happy Taylor Owner.  (Read 3404 times)

Guitar Cowboy

• Veteran Member
Another Happy Taylor Owner.
« on: April 05, 2014, 09:15:27 AM »
I started playing guitar about 35 years ago at 15 years old. The problem is stopped playing about 25 years ago. A couple years ago a friend of mine who was instrumental in starting up various "musical happenings " in my rural community  found out that I used to play and urged me to dust off  my old Yamaha and come out to play at the monthly music night. This is essentially an open mic night followed by a jam  until midnight or whenever the musicians out numbers the audience - whichever comes first.  After several months of playing in the background, as far away from a mic as possible, I finally got the courage to sign up for my own set- solo. Two years later , I am much more comfortable  and am really enjoying it. Maybe some coffee shop stuff is in my future.

So last year I decided after 30 some years I could treat myself to a new guitar. I was determined that I would buy myself a Martin. I didn't want a new guitar - I wanted a Martin.  But I found in the several months I spent shopping around that I kept gravitating back to the Taylors. My "no turning back" point came when I reached up to the top row and pulled down and 816ce- an absolute work of art. Now its mine and I couldn't be happier.

I'll be the first to admit that its too much guitar for me. I'm a self admitted guitar hack . But I justified spending about twice as much should/wanted to with the story about waiting 30+ years and that I would never have to buy another guitar again . It wasn't too much later that the sickness hit . I found myself poking around the Taylor website to see what else was out there. I have a beautiful 816 and I want more ....?

So if anyone has any ideas what would be a good complement to an 816, let me know.

I am looking forward to learning more on this forum
Thanks

Steve
2020 326ce V-class soundhole cutaway prototype
(Mahogany/Urban Ash)
2019 E14 Limited Edition V-Class (Spruce/Ebony)
2019 814ce V-Class (Cedar/Rosewood)
2016 GS mini-E Koa
2015 618e 1st Edition (Torrified Spruce/Maple)
2014 K26ce (AA Koa- Wildwood CV) 
1980-something Yamaha  FG345II Dread

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
Re: Another Happy Taylor Owner.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 09:57:20 AM »
Looks like you've been bitten by the same Taylor bug that the rest of us have been bitten by. You want/need just one more Taylor  ;). You've come to the right place (or should I say, the wrong place....because we are a bunch of enablers).

Happy to hear you are back playing again. Congratulations on your new 816ce....we'd love to see some pictures of it! The 800 series is beautiful (yet, I think all Taylors are beautiful).

Enjoy yourself in our fun community here on the web.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 10:51:49 AM »
Welcome to the forum! Great story, by the way. You've begun your Taylor journey with an excellent specimen. The 800 series has always been a mainstay of the Taylor line. (By the way, is this a 2014 redesigned 816?) I'm presuming you've chosen the 16 (Grand Symphony) size, because you're comfortable with it. It's also a great choice as you are playing with other musicians, and you want your guitar to be heard in the mix. I actually prefer a 14 (Grand Auditorium) size for myself (light gauge strings, very balanced tone, comfortable for a variety of playing styles), but the 16s are also great guitars.

It has often been said that maple back guitars are good at cutting through the mix in an ensemble setting, so a 616 might be a great compliment/alternative to your 816. It will have great fundamental tone without a lot of overtones, and the note decay will be quicker than with your rosewood 16. Of course, you can throw this theory out the window if everyone is plugging in to play together. Proper settings on the PA or amp can also help with balancing the sound of your guitar with other musicians. Still, the 616 is a nice alternative that comes in many different color/finish options.

If you don't want to swing the pendulum too far in the opposite direction from your 816, a nice compromise would be a 516 (mahogany back and sides). When it comes to the classic tonewoods, you'll find that some folks are rosewood people while others are mahogany people. Some folks like both, so it's worth a try. You could even push a bit further with the 500 series with a 526 (same size, but with a mahogany top). It's really a matter of what sound speaks to you.

There are many other tonewood and shape options, but the models above might be a good place to start. Have fun in your journey!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 10:53:15 AM »
Welcome to the forum.   After playing for over 30 years on "economical" guitars I decided in 1999 to get a good guitar--a Martin.  I left with a Tacoma.   Same thing in 2007. Went for a Martin, left with a Taylor.

Good complement depends on your style of play. For a self-avowed strumming hacker a 12-string will make you seem like a better player than you might actually be.
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

stepchildusmc

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 01:14:13 PM »
welcome in  cowboy ! you sure started out with a good one ! can't wait to get my hands on one of those...sadly, i live in the middle of nowhere.
something to compliment the 816ce? why a GS mini of course ! same body type only in a smaller, more couch-friendly size !
Steppy
2008 NAMM Hot Rod(GA)
2013 spring ltd. 616 ce
2013 616 ce(honeyburst)
2011 Adamas 2080Sr
2014 324
2014 GS mini Hog
2013 GS mini Spruce
2014 GS mini Engelmann (HV)
only thing lacking is the talent !

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 02:31:42 PM »
Similar history for me Guitarcowboy.  started up a long time ago and played a couple of years then quite to participate in the work force/family man thing a ma jiggy.  I started back up a few years ago and got bit by the Taylor guitar bug and love it.   So, Welcome to the forum, and enjoy the new geetar. 
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

BathTimeStrummer

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 09:37:59 PM »
Just recently got to a jam on an 816ce. Sweet guitar. Congrats on allowing yourself a treat. I second the GS Mini suggestion. Tremendous sound and a price point that isn't too scary (for a Taylor). I keep mine at the office, so I always have access to pick around. Enjoy that new guitar!
2014 T5z Custom (Koa)
2013 316ce (Sitka/Sapele)
2014 Holden Village GS Mini (Engelmann/Maple)
1998 Fender DG-7

Guitar Cowboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 09:26:37 AM »
Thanks everyone for your comments. To answer SF's question , No this isn't the redesign 2014 , I bought just before it came out ( and I am sure just before any price drop on the older model.. oh well). Still, I'm perfectly happy . One of my favorite things about the guitar is the  maple binding and  I think they changed that with the redesign . I think it still has maple in it but maybe they have added a strip of something else too.

Thanks for  the suggestions on my next purchase . I like the 500 all mahogany as well as the 600 series, so I will be looking at those some more. I also plan to find out about the GS mini . Not familiar with those . What kind of volume do you sacrifice with the smaller body size? I guess I am used to big guitars with my 816  and my old Yamaha dread

Thanks again!
Steve
2020 326ce V-class soundhole cutaway prototype
(Mahogany/Urban Ash)
2019 E14 Limited Edition V-Class (Spruce/Ebony)
2019 814ce V-Class (Cedar/Rosewood)
2016 GS mini-E Koa
2015 618e 1st Edition (Torrified Spruce/Maple)
2014 K26ce (AA Koa- Wildwood CV) 
1980-something Yamaha  FG345II Dread

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 10:05:18 AM »
I like the 500 all mahogany as well as the 600 series, so I will be looking at those some more.

May even want to try the 500 series hog with the cedar top.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2014, 10:11:18 AM »
Thanks everyone for your comments. To answer SF's question , No this isn't the redesign 2014 , I bought just before it came out ( and I am sure just before any price drop on the older model.. oh well). Still, I'm perfectly happy . One of my favorite things about the guitar is the  maple binding and  I think they changed that with the redesign . I think it still has maple in it but maybe they have added a strip of something else too.

Thanks for  the suggestions on my next purchase . I like the 500 all mahogany as well as the 600 series, so I will be looking at those some more. I also plan to find out about the GS mini . Not familiar with those . What kind of volume do you sacrifice with the smaller body size? I guess I am used to big guitars with my 816  and my old Yamaha dread

Thanks again!

Having just acquired a GS Mini, I can tell you that it is hands-down the best travel-size guitar I've ever played. The rest sound like toys in comparison. Its volume is unparalleled for its size, but it would be unfair to compare it with much larger instruments like the GA, GS or GO. Some GA specimens compare quite favorably with some GS specimens in volume IMO. It all depends on each individual example. Some GCs have quite a bit of volume and fullness, given their somewhat smaller size as well. GOs are definitely the winners in the volume department.

To me, it's like a sliding scale. There's volume, but there's also tonal quality and balance to consider, not to mention the playing comfort factor. My best advice would be to compare your GS with the GA ( a step down in size) and the GO (a step up in size), and then determine what the best fit is for you in all the above mentioned categories. But above all, have fun in the process!
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2014, 07:12:36 PM »
A 522 might be complementary in terms of size, wood choice and tonal charactertistics.
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

VinnySem

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 11:12:14 AM »
Welcome to the site!!

CodeBlueEMT

• Veteran Member
  • In Dog Beers, I've Only Had One
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 03:31:45 AM »
 Hi guitarcowboy816. Welcome to the UTGF. Congratulations on the new 816ce. "Too much guitar" is a lie perpetrated by ex-wives and shady banjo players. Enjoy. :)     
Shayne

2023 Gibson Custom '57 Les Paul Goldtop
2017 Taylor T5z Pro SE "Erwin"
2014 Taylor 524ce
2013 Martin 000-28EC Sunburst
2011 Taylor 314ce
2008 Taylor SB-1 Classic
1999 Taylor XXV-DR 25th Anniversary
Hard Knocks Custom Esquire "Miss Bettie"

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2014, 10:37:44 PM »
I like the 500 all mahogany as well as the 600 series, so I will be looking at those some more.

May even want to try the 500 series hog with the cedar top.
+1
a 514 or maybe a 512ce, or perhaps a 12 fret 512 -
cedar/hog would complement your sitka/rosewood quite nicely & adding the HP package
with adirondack bracing, bone nut & saddle & gotohs to a 500 model would be very 8), imho

maple is always nice too, though ;)
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Cindy

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2014, 05:25:14 PM »
maple is always nice too, though ;)