Author Topic: GS Mini Build Preferences  (Read 9145 times)

BathTimeStrummer

GS Mini Build Preferences
« on: March 26, 2014, 05:28:20 PM »
Friends,

I can't see how I'm going to put my GS Mini purchase off much longer. I'm just torn on the wood selection. I like the look of the hog-top. I've played the rosewood laminate and I'm not sure if I'm actually picking up the tonal qualities of rosewood. I don't think I'm going to go Sapele, since my 316ce is Sapele/Sitka--I'd like some diversity in the collection. I've played all 3 multiple times and I'm just stuck. Does anyone have anything that can break this tie for me? I don't really need the ES in the rosewood since this will be my office guitar and I seriously doubt I'll plug in ever. Which, I guess, leaves me with the hog. Somebody say something to talk me out of or talk me into the best option--and yes, I know these are personal decisions, but I'm stuck here!

Oh, and before you say it, I am NOT buying two!!!

Not yet, anyway...
2014 T5z Custom (Koa)
2013 316ce (Sitka/Sapele)
2014 Holden Village GS Mini (Engelmann/Maple)
1998 Fender DG-7

MB

• Veteran Member
  • It's a journey...
Re: GS Mini Build Preferences
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 05:46:48 PM »
Well....
Your 316 is solid wood and has solid sapele back and sides with a sitka spruce top.
I don't believe that the laminates on the GS Mini's will sound quite the same as your solid wood 316.
The differences in tone between laminate sapele and laminate rosewood will be very subtle.
SO that means that the choice between the laminates is going to be mostly visual, with the exception of the HOG.
The mahogany top will be the one that would diversify your collection the most....in my humble opinion of course!
Good Luck...and as always...we will want pics!

sstaylor58

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 07:33:03 PM »
Oink, oink...go whole hog!  They sound great!
Taylor 314ce
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Martin Custom OM-15
Yamaha FSX730SC
Yamaha FSX800C

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 07:36:43 PM »
if there is no necessity to plug in the mini, here's an intriguing option
https://www.taylorguitars.com/taylorware/holden-village-gs-mini

engelmann top & it's $'d right in-between the GSmini 'hog & mini-e RW -
there's a thread here with some pics
http://www.unofficialtaylorguitarforum.com/index.php?topic=4710.0
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 07:36:56 PM »
I personally prefer the spruce top Mini's I've played over the hog tops. I like hog tops - but I think you get more sheer sound out of a spruce topped Mini. As the Mini backs are all laminates, it really comes down to your visual preference, and of course, which one sounds better.
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

Fire

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 08:26:09 PM »
In a blind test, I can't tell the difference between a hog top GSM or a spruce top ... a RW from a Maple or Blackwood or Sapele. I'm envious that you guys can.
2011 Taylor FLTD GA Koa 12-Fret
2015 Taylor T5z Pro
2015 Martin 000-15m

stepchildusmc

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 08:32:39 PM »
my 'hog and spruce sound very different to me. of all of them though the Engelmann top Holden Village Mini is the best. it easily bridges the gap between spruce and mohogany. it has a lot more volume than the other 2 and you can help justify the GAS by helping the environment ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
see Bathtime, if the missus complains about spending more guitar money, you can justify it !
Steppy
2008 NAMM Hot Rod(GA)
2013 spring ltd. 616 ce
2013 616 ce(honeyburst)
2011 Adamas 2080Sr
2014 324
2014 GS mini Hog
2013 GS mini Spruce
2014 GS mini Engelmann (HV)
only thing lacking is the talent !

jerrytubes

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 11:43:39 PM »
Laminated backs and sides don't pick up the tonal qualities of the wood they are made from.  Picking woods in laminated sides-and-back guitars should be strictly for cosmetic preferences.  Period.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 11:46:57 PM by Jerry »

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 01:31:52 AM »
Laminated backs and sides don't pick up the tonal qualities of the wood they are made from.  Picking woods in laminated sides-and-back guitars should be strictly for cosmetic preferences.  Period.
i've played & compared more than a few spruce top GS minis & one of them with tasmanian blackwood laminate
was significantly heavier than the sapele, maple or rosewood models & had a noticeably darker tone -
the DDX/214ce BLK used to be made with maple laminate (inner also) & a maple neck & when played
back-to-back against a natural & a sunburst 214ce, the maple model was crisper & had more definition

imho, there is no fast & hard rule whether all players will or will not hear a difference -
period
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

BathTimeStrummer

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 09:25:56 AM »
I appreciate all the feedback, gang.

I really like the Holden Village and I had completely neglected it as an option. I also like the idea that Bathtime Strrumming can actually lead to clean drinking water. That's not typical of my experience. You guys rock!
2014 T5z Custom (Koa)
2013 316ce (Sitka/Sapele)
2014 Holden Village GS Mini (Engelmann/Maple)
1998 Fender DG-7

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 09:47:22 AM »
In a blind test, I can't tell the difference between a hog top GSM or a spruce top ... a RW from a Maple or Blackwood or Sapele. I'm envious that you guys can.

I probably should clarify my earlier statement. I don't believe that laminate choice should be considered regarding tone. I believe that the impact on a guitar's sound is felt in the following order by most impactful:
1. construction
2. top wood
3. back/sides wood

With that said, I prefer the brighter sound of a spruce top  to the mellower mohagony top sound when it come to the GS Mini. When comparing different Mini's, it really comes down to the sound of each individual guitar. This will even vary from guitar to guitar with the exact same specs. Recently, I compared 3 Mini's at my FLGS:
1. spruce top with quilted sapele laminate b/s
2. hog top with sapele laminate b/s
3. spruce top with rosewood laminate b/s

I liked #3 the best, #1 second, #2 third. The hog top was nice, but too subdued for me. #1 was the one I wanted to like best because of the figure on the back, but #3 stood out with the best overall sound. I don't believe that the rosewood b/s had terribly much to do with it, especially since I'm not a big fan of rosewood. However, the grain pattern and color variation on its spruce top bore a striking resemblance to Adirondack spruce. Whatever it was, it sounded great. So there you have it from one person's perspective.
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

Earl

• Veteran Member
  • Quando omni flunkus moritati
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 10:49:46 AM »
FWIW we had a spruce topped GS Mini acquired used (in a package deal with some other equipment) a couple of years ago.  My wife was unimpressed and we re-sold it after a couple of months.  But lately she got the bug for smaller guitars again and ended up buying a mahogany topped GS Mini, which she just loves.  I have no direct experience with the Holden Village model, but it looks nice.

The laminated woods used in the body are strictly a visual factor;  you won't hear any tonal differences between different laminates.
Taylors:  424-LTD (all koa) and a 114ce that lives with friends in Alaska.  Low maintenance carbon fiber guitars are my "thing" these days, but I will always keep the koa 424.  Several ukulele and bass guitars too. 
*Gone but not forgotten:  a 2001 414ce, 410, 354-LTD twelve string, 314-N, 416-LTD baritone, T5 Classic, 615ce, 2006 GS-K, 1996 (first year) Baby

mikeguywest

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 11:04:36 AM »
At one Road Show I attended the TG rep said that the laminates would all sound pretty much the same. The differences are primarily for aesthetics, to help you stand out among the other Mini players. Of course that's going to cost you about 20% more. I also finally found a hog top and spruce top in the same store so I was finally able to compare. I chose the hog top as it was not as bright on the high end. I love the spruce on my GS, but that's a big top that really benefits from the spruce's characteristics. But to each his/her own. Compare and what works for you is the key.

timfitz63

• Veteran Member
  • Getting better one strum at a time...
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2014, 11:16:41 AM »
i've played & compared more than a few spruce top GS minis & one of them with tasmanian blackwood laminate
was significantly heavier than the sapele, maple or rosewood models & had a noticeably darker tone...

Hmm.  My impression when making this same four-way comparison was different; I thought the Rosewood laminate was the 'darkest'-sounding, followed by the Sapele, then Tasmanian Blackwood, then Maple as they moved toward 'brightness.'  My personal preference came down to the Blackwood or the Maple, and I ultimately chose the former.  Not sure whether that proves or refutes the point being made, though...

But on the whole, I tend to disagree with those (including Bob Taylor himself) who say there is no perceivable difference in sound character from laminated-bodied guitars.  I definitely could hear a difference.  And for those that might say the conditions of the test were different:  I played all four guitars in the same sitting, in the same room (Empire Music's 'back room'), under the same atmospheric conditions.  And they were all Sitka-topped GS Minis.  So the only apparent difference was the wood laminates of the bodies...
DN: 360e, 510ce, 510e-FLTD, 810ce-LTD (Braz RW), PS10ce
GA: 414ce, 614ce-LTD, 714ce-FLTD, BR-V, BTO (Makore, 'Wild Grain' RW, Blkwood), GAce-FLTD, K24ce, PS14ce (Coco, Braz RW, "Milagro"), W14ce-LTD
GC: 812ce-LTD TF, BTO TF ('Sinker'/Walnut, Engelmann/"Milagro"), LTG #400
GO: 718e-FLTD, BTO (Taz Myrtle)
GS: Custom 516e, BTO 12's (Taz Tiger Myrtle, 'Crazy' RW), 556ce, 656ce, K66ce, PS56ce ("Milagro")
GS Mini 2012 Spring LTD (Blackwood)
T3/B: Custom (Cu & Au Sparkle)
T5: C1, C5-12, S (Aztec Gold)

azslacker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2014, 12:20:46 PM »
Looking at the edge of a mini's back wood, at least 90% of the wood is poplar. The pretty veneer is maybe 1/32 of an inch thick. Can't believe the different wood choices have anything to do with the sound. I'd say poplar is the tone wood.
2016 322e 12 Fret
2011 312ce
2012 GS-Mini hog 
1983 Washburn D 12S
Yamaha Classical
Ukulele's out the ying yang.
2014 Larivée PO-3 Koa