Author Topic: New Guitar!!! Oh, the GAS!  (Read 2320 times)

krugjr

• Veteran Member
New Guitar!!! Oh, the GAS!
« on: March 17, 2014, 06:47:17 PM »
my local store switched their order for me just to get a 524e for me to try (they know me pretty well) played it a little in the store and then they said "take it home for a few days".....oh my, it hit my "comfort level" on every front.....it's a 2014 hot off the assembly line middle of feb with the new ES and regular bracing...no need to compare to the first editions with CV bracing for me cuz I like this sound a lot....two nights in a row comparing it to my 514e-FLTD and my 516ce WW CV and for the way I play and for how I plan to use it the 524 is going to replace the 516.....Fool, you were right on with your description about the sound...I'll write more about that later, but for a guy like me used to the "boom-chick" and "high-low" sound of my 12 string and rosewood-sitka EQ, the all hog impressed me a lot...in short, the sound is "different" than my 514 but "just as good"....I think you all know what I mean by that.....I told them an hour ago that I'll take it but no pics for a while because I'm going to have them hold it for me while I sell my 855ce and the 516ce WW CV....this GAS I've been "suffering" with since discovering UTGF last year has caused an acoustic guitar build-up in my music room and something has to go to make financial room for the 524.....after 50 years of 12 string playing I'm going to settle in with the 514e-FLTD and the 524e as my go to musical tools.....(my GS Mini-e Hog will have it's place too).....what this has taught me the most is this "mid-range" punch I hear a lot about doesn't have to be this "negative" or "plain" sound I've labeled it as....the way Taylor has put together this 524 gives it truly an awesome sound....just when you think it's not supposed to have "bottom" or "sparkle" you discover it has plenty of both to go along with all those beautiful, clear mids.....thanks to all who have stopped by this post and given your time and thoughts! (gotta get my ebay ads up and runnin')   have a great week-end you all!

re post from my last message on my CV bracing post a few days ago..... with an update, I paid a couple hundred to hold it and they said "take it home again and pay when you can, it's yours".....pretty cool.....so next time we get a little sunshine here in MT I'll take a couple pics!
Music.....the Universal Language!

guitarsrsoawesome

• Veteran Member
Re: New Guitar!!! Oh, the GAS!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 08:02:25 PM »
Man, the same thing just happened to me!  I have a GS8 (Rosewood/sitka) as well as an all hog 000-15sm martin and I went to the store trying to find a maple to complement these two and I played 2013 514ce (cedar top with ES2) that blew me away.  We compared it to a 914ce and felt it outperformed it.  I had to buy it. One thing though, when I played my Rosewood GS next to it, this thing had more bass!  Like a lot more.  As well as better clarity with the higher pitched strings.  It was plain awesome.  I thought to myself, well, guess it would just replace the GS!  Though, I've second guessed getting rid of it now, because it truly is a great guitar and I don't want to take a big hit on it selling it too cheap.  (I put stainless frets on it, so it's got a lot going for it in that sense).  They're holding that 514 for me, too, while I wait on a couple work bonuses to get her out of jail.  I just couldn't let that one go.  It was unreal.  So I totally get how you feel.  BTW, these forums increase GAS by a factor of 10! 
November 2013 Taylor 514ce ES2
November 2011 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany

stepchildusmc

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 08:08:01 PM »
wow ! that's a nice bunch of people in that store ! that wouldn't happen here in NY. i hear ya on that 524 ! i agonized for a while over the 526 and 324. i ended up with the 324 because i have enough GS' already. i'm  starting to think that maybe... just maybe... one of the 616ce's might soon find a new home to make room for that 526ce anyway... hmm...
 i love that 'hog sound. it has all the bass that i think is missing from my others.
Steppy
2008 NAMM Hot Rod(GA)
2013 spring ltd. 616 ce
2013 616 ce(honeyburst)
2011 Adamas 2080Sr
2014 324
2014 GS mini Hog
2013 GS mini Spruce
2014 GS mini Engelmann (HV)
only thing lacking is the talent !

MB

• Veteran Member
  • It's a journey...
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 09:44:00 PM »
I have to agree with you guys on the low end of these hogs! When I got my 514e FLTD I could not believe how much bass it had compared to my 814ce! Yet the high end is still sparkly and balanced with the lows...and the mids, oh my, the mids! That whole thing about scooped mids leave room for the vocal....well to the moon with the vocal! Gimme another HOG! I've been on the verge of pulling the trigger on a 528e but have had some hit and miss luck ordering from the online retailers so I've been a bit gun-shy...but this post is pushing the GAS level to an unmanageable place!!!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 07:02:20 PM by UTGF-Team »

krugjr

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 12:45:07 AM »
after almost 50 yrs of 12 strings I wanted to start playing a little 6 string ( playing with tracks and capo issues with the 12 string)...first tried a GS8 but after yrs of 12ers the sound "seemed" a little dull to me and I couldn't adjust to the med strings, sent it back.....several of you here kept suggesting the 514e-FLTD so I ordered one and hit a "home run"...absolutely love that guitar...so much so I didn't want to gig with it so I set out to find me a less expensive workhorse guitar...bid on a couple used 314s and kept losing the auction at the very end...hmmmm, must be a sign...ordered a 414ce next but wasn't really moved by the ovangkol sound either..sent it back too....michael turned me on to the WW CVs...sent for the 516ce WW CV and it's pretty awesome...thought that would be the one but every time I pulled out my 514e-FLTD I realized I was spoiled by that sound and nothing I had tried in the store or bought on line had come close...just figured there was no Taylor for 500-1000 less than my 514 that would have a sound I could live with.....started thinking "crazy" like maybe bite the bullet and buy another 514 LTD and beat the heck out of it and save one for special occasions (little bit insane I know)...don't know exactly how the all hog thing came about, maybe it was the wife who said one night while I was explaining all these guitars with all these woods and sounds (she's so nice to listen)... she suddenly blurted out "why do they all have white tops?" well, so I get the highs I like cuz I was thinkin' I had to have spruce.....but I started reading the W&S on mahogany and askin' you all about the 52X series and then I asked my buddies at my local store if they had any coming...they didn't but they called Taylor and changed the order and got me one to try.....you know the rest...so close to my 514...best way I can describe it so far...a light strum on the 514, all 6 strings ring out and all 6 equal in volume and sustain.....then a light strum on the 524, all 6 strings ring out but the middle 4 have just a touch more volume and sustain.....but I can even make up for that by strumming a little closer to the bridge and a little heavier strum...that's it......and when I use my percussion style rhythm that bluesy bass sound is more than I imagined could come out of the 524, and the highs are still there.....these new ones have the HD Lights too, so I don't know how much, if any, that changes the sound of previous 524s.....I'll probably try the standard lights next while waiting for the HDs to hit the stores.....what I find magical about the 524 is how well it plays through my Bose L1 along with tracks...that slight diff from the 514 make it a perfect fit to gig with....and it doesn't hurt that even though I didn't "pick this one out" with on line pictures, the grain in this hog is beautiful.....yeah, magical...I believe this one was just meant to be.....I've become a GA believer and a Mahogany believer.........(for now) ha ha.....thanks a million again to every one of you who has read my ramblings and given me opinions and advice! Make music, my friends, and put a smile on someone's face!

BobSol

• Too Old To Worry
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 09:21:20 AM »
Reading between the lines, I get the feeling you're a happy man ;D
2011 Taylor GA12 FLTD KOA
2014 Taylor GS Mini Koa FLTD
2014 Taylor 456CE SLTD
2012 Taylor 210
2010 Taylor 510 KOA FLTD
2006 Taylor T5 C2 KOA

jjrpilot-admin

• UTGF Owner
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 12:01:31 PM »
Krugjr, glad you've found a new guitar!  Keep us posted!  I'm sorry this forum is such  help.....er...enabler....er......well...darn it......   ;)
Col 1:15 "that in everything He might be preeminent."
2016 324 (Mahogany top/Tasmanian Blackwood b&s)
2017 Gibson J-45 Standard

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 02:44:49 PM »
OK, so one question: do you like the guitar? ;)

Glad you found the one that makes you excited.  It's a great feeling, to be sure.  There are lots who can definitely relate.   Enjoy it!!  :D

Edward

krugjr

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 03:43:08 PM »
ok, ok...so this isn't world peace or a cure for cancer, krug just got a guitar....but I wasn't drinking when I wrote in, nor was I under the influence of anything other than GAS.....havin' a little fun.....but I am constantly reminded here at UTGF that it's never about which guitar is better than another....it's always about which guitar is the right one at the right time for the right person....we've all been there, huh!

stepchildusmc

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 08:20:51 PM »
crap..salesman promised me my new 324 would cure cancer so i took up smoking and snorting floor cleaners.... i hate dis-honest salesmen !!! that's what i get for buying a taylor in a martin store !
Steppy
2008 NAMM Hot Rod(GA)
2013 spring ltd. 616 ce
2013 616 ce(honeyburst)
2011 Adamas 2080Sr
2014 324
2014 GS mini Hog
2013 GS mini Spruce
2014 GS mini Engelmann (HV)
only thing lacking is the talent !