Author Topic: BTO Taylors Better than Regular Taylors?  (Read 2910 times)

Gary-N-LA

BTO Taylors Better than Regular Taylors?
« on: February 25, 2014, 11:26:55 AM »
Do you think BTO Taylors are made with more care - in a more luthier-like process - than an off-the-rack Taylor?  And if so, do you think this results in a more beautiful sounding instrument?
2014 Santa Cruz 1929-00 - All Mahogany
2013 Taylor Custom GA - Cedar/Maple
2013 Martin Custom 00-21 - Sitka/EIR
2012 Cordoba C7 Classical - Cedar/EIR Lam.
2008 Fender Stratocaster 70s Reissue

MexicoMike

• Veteran Member
Re: BTO Taylors Better than Regular Taylors?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 11:43:19 AM »
"Do you think BTO Taylors are made with more care - in a more luthier-like process - than an off-the-rack Taylor? "

Can't this be factually determined rather easily as opposed to it just being an opinion survey?  Surely those who have visited the factory could have observed the difference, if any, in the construction process.  Or perhaps Taylor has videos/info available re that.

There would be no actual requirement for the process to be different other than selecting the particular woods/appointments but again, that info should be readily valuable.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 11:44:58 AM by MexicoMike »

Fire

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 11:52:20 AM »
Do you think BTO Taylors are made with more care - in a more luthier-like process - than an off-the-rack Taylor?  And if so, do you think this results in a more beautiful sounding instrument?

Better in wood selection but I think the manufacturing process is the same as with others.
2011 Taylor FLTD GA Koa 12-Fret
2015 Taylor T5z Pro
2015 Martin 000-15m

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 12:45:29 PM »

Better in wood selection but I think the manufacturing process is the same as with others.

There's a 2009 or so issue of Wood and Steel that goes into the process more completely.  My recollection is that the inspection process at the end of the line--and wood selection in the beginning-- is more rigorous but the construction process uses normal build slots in the schedule.  If I see more productive info from the article when I get home I will post it.
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 01:05:12 PM »
Do you think BTO Taylors are made with more care - in a more luthier-like process - than an off-the-rack Taylor?
more attention to detail needs to be paid in order to ensure the guitar is built with correct options -
with over 40 different choices & over 300 options to choose from & in the end, it all has to be "right"
And if so, do you think this results in a more beautiful sounding instrument?
it can, although i've heard some BTOs being sold because one of the aesthetic features did not meet
expectations, so it all depends on the individual & the reasons why they're purchasing a "custom" guitar
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

wooglins

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 01:13:53 PM »
I think it really depends on the the options.  Some options lead to steps that a normal build does not experience.  For example if you choose an Adirondack top there are some extra steps that go into the selection, and cutting of the top that a standard Taylor does not go through.  Same for selecting a short-scale neck on a non GC model.  For short scale to work on a non GC body the build setup for the top has to change.  The bridge is in a different location which leads to positional changes in the bracing.  Because so few guitars are selected with these options more attention has to be paid to how it is setup, otherwise the guitar may not meet Taylors QC standards which are high.

On the other hand if your choices are simply aesthetic such as back and side choice, inlay, etc then you are just plugging in different pieces into the normal assembly line production. 

In either case the individual selection of woods and final steps are more rigorous for BTO (which I believe is not called custom again).

Drock2k1

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 02:14:37 PM »
You will typically get better woods with the BTO's unless you are going 900 series or presentation series. Still To me, the biggest draw of the BTO is the process and ability to specify my visual tastes. Having owned both though, I wouldn't say that a BTO offers an upgrade in tone just upgraded aesthetics and choices.  This goes out the window though if the wood combo you want is only available on a BTO.

Hopefully one of our sponsors will drop in here to shed some light. I know that Ted from LA Guitar Sales should have a pretty good idea as he has seen plenty of them both.

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 06:11:36 PM »
I own 6 Taylors - 4 are "off the rack", and two are BTOs. The BTOs are not better than the others. If they were, I wouldn't own the others. The BTOs happen to reflect my personalized tastes in tone and appearance, but they are in no way superior to the others.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 09:46:55 AM by Strumming Fool »
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

wooglins

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 12:31:42 AM »
I own 6 Taylors - 4 are "off the rack", and two are BTOs. The BTOs are not better than the others. If they were, I wouldn't own the others. The BTOs happen to reflect my personalized tastes in tone and appearance, but they are in no way supererior to the others.

Don't take this the wrong way but your BTO wood choices are rather typical compared to your very impressive collection of ltd edition Taylor's.

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 01:32:42 AM »
I own 6 Taylors - 4 are "off the rack", and two are BTOs. The BTOs are not better than the others. If they were, I wouldn't own the others. The BTOs happen to reflect my personalized tastes in tone and appearance, but they are in no way supererior to the others.

Don't take this the wrong way but your BTO wood choices are rather typical compared to your very impressive collection of ltd edition Taylor's.

I wuz thinking the same thing--more off the track than off the rack
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 09:51:10 AM »

I guess it's a matter of perspective. That's the reason I placed "off-the-rack" in quotes. I didn't create the specs for the ones I bought from the store's stock. As far as the BTOs being typical, I would say that you won't find many sinker redwood/ovangkol GAs out there; you'll find a few more engelmann spruce/quilted maple GAs, but not many, so I'm not sure why you would call these combinations more typical than say, sitka/koa for example.

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2014, 09:55:59 AM »

As a reminder, cedar/walnut became a regular offering for a few years following the Cujo model, although it is no longer a regular production model. As far as euro spruce/flamed mahogany, it's still a spruce/hog combo, which can be found just about anywhere. Sitka is most typically paired with flamed maple. I guess my point is that if these BTO choices were so typical, why aren't they offered as standard production models (possibly lack of wide appeal?).

wooglins

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2014, 10:31:19 AM »

As a reminder, cedar/walnut became a regular offering for a few years following the Cujo model, although it is no longer a regular production model. As far as euro spruce/flamed mahogany, it's still a spruce/hog combo, which can be found just about anywhere. Sitka is most typically paired with flamed maple. I guess my point is that if these BTO choices were so typical, why aren't they offered as standard production models (possibly lack of wide appeal?).

It really was more of a compliment.  I mean you cant get Euro Spruce on a Taylor period unless it is part of a LTD run.  Same for some of your other combinations.   

I was pointing out that I would expect your impressive collection of LTD's to be on par with exotic combinations that are often found on BTO's.

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2014, 01:34:16 PM »

granted engelmann/maple was offered on the 03 NAMM ruby red, L5 blueburst & L6 ruby redburst PS LTDs over 10 years ago
other than that, i've only seen or heard of hardly over a handful of those & not too many more sinker redwood/ovangkol models -
in terms of tops (sinker is used a good bit) & back & sides (ovangkol 400s & maple 600s), i could see one the other being a
more common choice, but not in the combinations used, although i know of a few englemann/ovangkols & redwood/maples :-\
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2014, 08:04:08 PM »

It really was more of a compliment.  I mean you cant get Euro Spruce on a Taylor period unless it is part of a LTD run.  Same for some of your other combinations.   

I was pointing out that I would expect your impressive collection of LTD's to be on par with exotic combinations that are often found on BTO's.

I got it - thanks for the clarification...I agree. The point I was trying to make that there really is no difference in build quality between a BTO and any production run, be it a LTD or a standard model. All guitars go through the same quality-controlled production lines.