Author Topic: CV Bracing vs non CV.....Info Please!  (Read 8981 times)

AVTaylor83

Re: CV Bracing vs non CV.....Info Please!
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2014, 05:26:33 PM »
Interesting that Taylor is now offering the Adi bracing with that 'upgrade package' to modify any model.  I'd really like to hear what Adi bracing would do for a 614 with quilted maple.  I owned a 614 flamed maple for a while, but it was just too thin for me.  And I felt like the 616 just didn't have same shimmer. 
2022 AD27e Flametop - maple
2016 514ce Fall Ltd - cedar/granadillo

Herb Hunter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2014, 06:31:47 PM »
Interesting that Taylor is now offering the Adi bracing with that 'upgrade package' to modify any model.  I'd really like to hear what Adi bracing would do for a 614 with quilted maple.  I owned a 614 flamed maple for a while, but it was just too thin for me.  And I felt like the 616 just didn't have same shimmer.

You might want to try a quilted maple 614 or 616. In my experience, the flat sawn maple has a more pronounced bass response than the quarter sawn flame maple. Also, you should try out a 618.

catan

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2014, 07:27:04 PM »
Yea, I'm looking forward to some Adi-AP braced guitar sound samples (most feasibly from people doing SMO on their new 800s)
Gear:
2011 Taylor 414ce Fall LTD (Sitka/EIR)
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Dogcreek

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2014, 08:08:05 PM »
Video was a good one!  Thanks for the link...

Jeff  :D
Taylor 110ce - 2009
Taylor BT1 -2011
Seagull S6 Cedar Thin - 2014
Seagull Mini Jumbo Wild Cherry 2015
Seagull Maritime SWS CW Spruce/Mahogany 2017
Olympia Dulcimer 6 string flame maple
Seagull D Dulcimer
Seagull G Dulcimer
Fender Robert Schmidt Mando
Lyle F-500 early 70's Original owner

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2014, 09:11:30 PM »
standard II is currently used on 300-700s, so the HP package
on the 600s would have adi standard II bracing, rather than CV -
here are a couple of adi CV 614ce models
http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/products/1110140107.php?CategoryID=83&n=3
http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/products/1110080104.php?CategoryID=122&n=9

616ce
http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/products/1110180063.php?CategoryID=122&n=15
http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/products/1110110063.php?CategoryID=122&n=13
http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/products/1110070074.php?CategoryID=122&n=12
http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/products/1110080072.php?CategoryID=122&n=11

& a 656ce
http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/products/1109233170.php?CategoryID=122&n=14

there were some adi CV quilted maple LTDs in 09
http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/GACELTDM.htm
a couple of pics from MFs site

after playing a 618e FE, i think i'd be leaning more towards european or engelmann spruce with adi bracing -
if the AP bracing & 3.5 finish become Custom options next year, a 12 fret quilted maple GA
with mahogany neck, HP package, solid headstock & nickel gotohs would be pretty 8) imho
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2014, 09:42:58 AM »

I can testify that my 2012 BTO engelmann/quilted maple GA solved the provlem you articulated above. The CV bracing is also a factor in making the guitar's tone "fatter" with more depth, while the engelmann/quilted maple seems to have provided more overall warmth. It still retains the more desirable qualities of a maple guitar (good fundamentals, less overtones, etc.) with some added dimension.
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

AVTaylor83

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2014, 05:52:11 PM »

I can testify that my 2012 BTO engelmann/quilted maple GA solved the provlem you articulated above. The CV bracing is also a factor in making the guitar's tone "fatter" with more depth, while the engelmann/quilted maple seems to have provided more overall warmth. It still retains the more desirable qualities of a maple guitar (good fundamentals, less overtones, etc.) with some added dimension.
Thanks for the info.  Yeah I may consider that in the future.  I'd love to be able to play one and hear it for myself, but obviously that's a rare set-up for a 614.  I wonder if Andy Powers has plans to re-voice the 600 series, with the big changes to the 800's.

mgap

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2014, 06:05:25 PM »

Thanks for the info.  Yeah I may consider that in the future.  I'd love to be able to play one and hear it for myself, but obviously that's a rare set-up for a 614.  I wonder if Andy Powers has plans to re-voice the 600 series, with the big changes to the 800's.

I agree with SF.  I bought one of the Wildwood CV guitars it is a 514ce WW CV.  It definitely gives the guitar a fatter tone, with more depth.  Also it freshens your breath, and whitens teeth. ;D :o  Seriously, these WW CV's are excellent guitars.  Mine is the only guitar that I will never part with.  I can't say that about all the others.
He who loses money, loses much; he who loses a friend, loses more; he who loses faith, loses all.

AVTaylor83

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2014, 02:55:03 PM »
So many options.  Oh the life of a Taylor player.   ;)

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2014, 03:23:28 PM »

RTaylor made its debut in 2006 IIRC, and purportedly (or so I've heard) was the impetus for what eventually became the "CV" bracing in production Taylors.  Be that as it may, my style-2 in engel/quilted maple has warmth and mids that no other spruce I've ever played or heard has (quasi-cedar, if ya ask me), but with a crisp top end that is beautifully defined, as if each note were "outlined."  This, along with a strong, authoritative bottom end whose bass timbre is deep yet focused absolutely defies its GC-sized body.  Yeah, in case you can't tell, I fell big-time in love with this guitar several years back, and everything else I've played since only reaffirms how special this style-2's voice is :D

In other words, my experience parallels that of StrummingF's BTO where the clarity and "forward" fundamentals of maple are all there, but with added bass and girth, as well as warmth in the mids.  And FWIW, I recall some time ago Bob writing that quilted maple tends to be "rounder" in tone than flamed-maple's quicker, sharper attack due to quilted being flat sawn vs. flamed being quarter sawn.  All to say that in sum, I'd be willing to bet it is this engelmann/CV bracing/quilted maple combo that play the lion's share in its "bigger" timbre when compared with other sitka/maple guits.

Edward
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 03:35:28 PM by Edward »

krugjr

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2014, 02:05:44 PM »
lots of great info.......so back to my original thought, if you were a rhythm player/ vocalist, playing through a Bose L1 along with MP3 tracks, would you get a 2013 524 first edition with CV bracing and the regular ES or go with a new 2014 524 without CV bracing but with the new ES2? other than BTO, I don't believe any model comes with both.....
Music.....the Universal Language!

Strumming Fool

• Veteran Member
  • Christi simus non nostri
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2014, 02:56:12 PM »
Hog tops are in less need of CV bracing IMO, although they also benefit to some degree. If it were me, I'd go for the newer version, because the ES2 is hotter, and appears to be closer to a plug-and-play scenario. Either one would be great.
My Taylor Grand Auditoriums:

1997 Cujo14 - old growth cedar/black walnut
2014 K24e - master grade koa
2018 Custom GA - bear claw sitka spruce/mahogany
2019 614 - torrified sitka spruce/flamed maple
2020 714 - lutz spruce/rosewood

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2014, 08:13:46 PM »
lots of great info.......so back to my original thought, if you were a rhythm player/ vocalist, playing through a Bose L1 along with MP3 tracks, would you get a 2013 524 first edition with CV bracing and the regular ES or go with a new 2014 524 without CV bracing but with the new ES2? other than BTO, I don't believe any model comes with both.....
the L1 should have an ES preset, but i would compared both pickups if you have the opportunity to do so -
if you don't need a cutaway, the other option could  be to order a Custom spec all 'hog X16 with adi CV & ES2, but even without the
bone nut & saddle & gotohs that come with the HP package, the $ would be the same as a pure acoustic, non-cutaway 61X model :-\

CV could  possibly be the "new standard II" next year, or it could  be offered on a LTD model, or perhaps AP bracing ...
too early to tell if there will be XL L40s & what the offerings might be, seeing that fall LTDs are a good 6+ months out

maybe the best thing to do for the time being is to just "stay tuned" ;)
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

krugjr

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2014, 01:06:31 PM »
my local store switched their order for me just to get a 524e for me to try (they know me pretty well) played it a little in the store and then they said "take it home for a few days".....oh my, it hit my "comfort level" on every front.....it's a 2014 hot off the assembly line middle of feb with the new ES and regular bracing...no need to compare to the first editions with CV bracing for me cuz I like this sound a lot....two nights in a row comparing it to my 514e-FLTD and my 516ce WW CV and for the way I play and for how I plan to use it the 524 is going to replace the 516.....Fool, you were right on with your description about the sound...I'll write more about that later, but for a guy like me used to the "boom-chick" and "high-low" sound of my 12 string and rosewood-sitka EQ, the all hog impressed me a lot...in short, the sound is "different" than my 514 but "just as good"....I think you all know what I mean by that.....I told them an hour ago that I'll take it but no pics for a while because I'm going to have them hold it for me while I sell my 855ce and the 516ce WW CV....this GAS I've been "suffering" with since discovering UTGF last year has caused an acoustic guitar build-up in my music room and something has to go to make financial room for the 524.....after 50 years of 12 string playing I'm going to settle in with the 514e-FLTD and the 524e as my go to musical tools.....(my GS Mini-e Hog will have it's place too).....what this has taught me the most is this "mid-range" punch I hear a lot about doesn't have to be this "negative" or "plain" sound I've labeled it as....the way Taylor has put together this 524 gives it truly an awesome sound....just when you think it's not supposed to have "bottom" or "sparkle" you discover it has plenty of both to go along with all those beautiful, clear mids.....thanks to all who have stopped by this post and given your time and thoughts! (gotta get my ebay ads up and runnin')   have a great week-end you all!
Music.....the Universal Language!