Author Topic: NGD, Monday the 17th  (Read 3671 times)

Blueshwk

Re: NGD, Monday the 17th
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2014, 08:41:57 PM »
Congrats on that maple beauty!!!!!   ;D

I have to admit I was really surprised! Definitely a keeper and a great little guitar when you get a handle on the volume. It is getting easier to control. I am sure the laminate is going to be stable but the top should open up nicely!
My granddaughter may be getting the next one! Lol

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2014, 07:44:39 AM »
There seems to be alot of variation amongst the GC minis.  Played a rosewood one and a hog-topped one.  The former sounded really good, the latter sounded, well, like a travel guitar.
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

pjroberts

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2014, 11:40:33 PM »
I have decided I like the tone of my new Holden Englemann GSM a lot more than my previous hog mini. It sounds SO Taylor, but with that midrange boost. Love it and because it's so grab able, it gets more air time (resides in my office for serious coffee breaks). Could use a touch more thumb on the bass, , but I prefer an e-flat tune, so usually not an issue. Seems more balanced than my previous GSM, though it's not as stripey as some of the others:-( Still looks awesome.

Only thing I don't like compared to the hog -- it's actually too loud! At least for its intended use. It kind of blasts my 816 out of the room. So, learning how to tame my light touch. I want to put a pickup in still, but rarely will it be for projecting over audiences itself now, because it does the job solo for my small things. Too loud sometimes (kind of drowns my voice!). I will now focus my pickup on a recording leaning pickup (if that makes sense).
pj roberts | austin
Taylor 814ce [2015]  |  GS Mini Holden Valley
Others: SCGC, Martin, Collings, Halcyon & Goodall