Author Topic: String Comparison 2014 Elixir HD vs Elixir Lights  (Read 7649 times)

MB

• Veteran Member
  • It's a journey...
String Comparison 2014 Elixir HD vs Elixir Lights
« on: February 18, 2014, 12:15:40 AM »
Here is a direct comparison of the two string sets with audio.

Guitar: 2014 Taylor 812ce 12 fret
Elixir HD: 13-17-25-32-42-53
Elixir Nanoweb Light 80/20 bronze: 12-16-24-32-42-53
Song: My Favorite Things
Mic: KSM44 panned L
ES2: panned R

Everything was identical for both recordings. I played this with fingers, no pick.

You be the judge!

https://soundcloud.com/northland-jammer/compare-strings

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
Re: String Comparison 2014 Elixir HD vs Elixir Lights
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 01:19:32 PM »
In your hands, the light set gives better balance between the trebles and bases, whereas the HD set trebles somewhat overpower the bases.  The HD set seems to be counterintuitive for an x12 anyway; a medium light makes more sense.
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

MexicoMike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 02:06:33 PM »
Interesting test!

To be honest, I can't hear a nickels worth of difference that matters when played back on a full range speaker system/amp.  On some portions I slightly prefer one set of strings, on another, I prefer the other set.  IOW, they basically sound the same to me.  There seems to me to be more difference in any subtle way in which you pluck the string from one moment to the next then there is in the strings themselves.

MB

• Veteran Member
  • It's a journey...
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 05:53:47 PM »
There you go! Thank you both for saying it is hard to tell the difference!
I can hear very very subtle differences but that's about it.
I listened thru headphones and thru my studio monitors....hard to distinguish any difference.

The biggest difference to me was the feel. The HDs FELT STIFF.
The lights felt like home.

I'm moving on....and keeping the lights on the 12 fret....thank you...thank you very much.

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 06:21:22 PM »
You're welcome. No strings attached
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

AVTaylor83

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 05:37:27 PM »
Thank you for sharing the recording!  I look forward to trying out a set of the HD's for myself.
2022 AD27e Flametop - maple
2016 514ce Fall Ltd - cedar/granadillo

crashcup

• "Trust in God, but tie your camel!"
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 08:42:20 PM »
Thanks for the recording MB. I agree, based on your recording I could detect very little difference.  When I first installed HDs on my 712 12 fret I expected little change.  I was surprised at the tonal difference. It's like a new guitar.  No, I don't have a recording to share because I don't have your patience or foresight to record first. But, where before I struggled to get harmonics to ring, they're now quite easy and sing beautifully.  And I do notice a significant difference in tone.  Perhaps that's the difference between a 712 12 fret and a 800 12 fret?

Bill
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 10:02:46 PM by crashcup »

MB

• Veteran Member
  • It's a journey...
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 10:07:04 PM »
Thanks for the recording MB. I agree, based on your recording I could detect very little difference.  When I first installed HDs on my 712 12 fret I expected little change.  I was surprised at the tonal difference. It's like a new guitar.  No, I don't have a recording to share because I don't have your patience or foresight to record first. But, where before I struggled to get harmonics to ring, they're now quite easy and sing beautifully.  And I do notice a significant difference in tone.  Perhaps that's the difference between a 712 12 fret and a 800 12 fret?

Bill

Hi Bill,
It could be a number of things. Maybe your 712 was not set up for the lights? you had on it before and it liked the HDs better?
It could be the difference in guitars too as they are somewhat different. Both GC bodies, 12 frets, and Spruce/Rosewood right?
Different bracing in the 812 and a thinner finish but other than that they are about the same? 
I'm happy that you had success and are feeling good about the change!

From what I could gather, the only 2 differences in the new HD strings are the gauges of 1-2-3 strings and they are Phosphor Bronze.
This changes the tension on the saddle/guitar. I suppose some guitars are better suited to the difference in tension.
The biggest difference for me was the feel. Does your 712 feel/play any different with the HDs? The 812 12 fret felt quite stiff with the HDs and was much slinkier with the previously standard issue Nano lights.

BTW If your guitar was not ringing out or getting clean harmonics with the light? strings perhaps it needed a set up?
Have you ever had one done on the 712?

Cheers!

guitarsrsoawesome

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 09:42:59 PM »
I feel like the odd man out because on my (entry level yamaha) studio monitors I could hear at least a bit of difference.  The lights when finger picked sounded a little "tinny" (what does that mean?) as compared to the HD's, and I preferred the heavier sound of the HD's during the finger picked portion, but there was a spot in middle with a small flurry of strumming and there I preferred the lights.  But, true to what you guys said, the difference was not so drastic that one would have to feel married to one string over the other.  Wonder if the difference would be more noticeable on a GA?
November 2013 Taylor 514ce ES2
November 2011 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany

jerrytubes

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 10:37:05 PM »
Nice playing. 

I couldn't tell any notable difference.  And, I have a very good set of computer speakers, so I know that didn't contribute to my opinion.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 12:12:43 AM by Jerry »

TaylorMate

• Bard since the Sixties
    • Blogboek
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014, 08:39:13 AM »
Listening as carefully as I could (eyes closed, fwiw), I wasn't able to descry enough difference. Sometimes I thought the lights sounded a bit better, but maybe that was imagination. Nice song btw, Jukebox, which came afterwards. Melody, lyrics, voice...loved it!
If you dig it, do it; if you dig it a lot, do it twice (Jim Croce)

Lyrics and music: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6gaSzHsXOYq-j_eQH6IwsW_K0S3CHfbk

crashcup

• "Trust in God, but tie your camel!"
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2014, 10:34:09 PM »

The biggest difference for me was the feel. Does your 712 feel/play any different with the HDs? The 812 12 fret felt quite stiff with the HDs and was much slinkier with the previously standard issue Nano lights.

BTW If your guitar was not ringing out or getting clean harmonics with the light? strings perhaps it needed a set up?
Have you ever had one done on the 712?

Cheers!

MB:  I bought the guitar from Sweetwater.  They do a fifty some point check up.  For some reason what I received it the 6th string buzzed no matter what.  So I took it to a Taylor authorized service place and they said the action was low.  Then Sweetwater called Taylor who called the service guy and they all determined that it was set up correctly. Huh?  So my service guy adjusted the saddle a tad and the buzzing stopped.  So it was set up and that was only 6 months ago. 

Regarding stiffness of the HDs, yes, #1 string felt significantly stiffer at first, but I adapted and I don't notice it now. 

I'm just so happy they re-engineered your 800 series!  Without it I wouldn't have the HDs   It's honestly like someone gave me a new guitar!

Bill

quickpickinfunstrummin

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2014, 10:41:57 PM »
HDs sounded clear and defined, while the lights sounded a little buzzy and thin to my ears. Great use of sound cloud. I think I am going to have to try the HDs for my 414ce
2013 456ce FLTD (Sitka/Rosewood)
2013 516e FLTD (European Spruce/Figured Mahogany)
Epiphone 1979 NV245, 12 string

MB

• Veteran Member
  • It's a journey...
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2014, 11:02:19 AM »
Listening as carefully as I could (eyes closed, fwiw), I wasn't able to descry enough difference. Sometimes I thought the lights sounded a bit better, but maybe that was imagination. Nice song btw, Jukebox, which came afterwards. Melody, lyrics, voice...loved it!

Hey Mate-
I just re-read this post and realized what you were talking about! Thank you for the kind words on my song "Jukebox"!
While Country isn't my first choice genre, it seems like I am leaning more in that direction these days.
Perhaps it is because Country is the new Rock.....
Thanks again!

Captain Jim

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2014, 11:57:20 AM »
"Country is the new rock"??  Never thought I'd live long enough to hear that.  ;) 

I missed this thread first time around.  I thought the HDs sounded more full.  I won a set of HDs at the Road Show we attended last month... haven't tried them on anything, yet.  I think I may have to give them a go on the 814.

Nice playing!  I especially appreciated "Dance with Me."   :)

Best wishes,
Jim

2014 Taylor 522ce 12-fret
2012 Taylor 814ce
2006 Taylor T-5
2011 Taylor GSmini
2013 Rainsong Shorty SG-FLE
Gibson ES-335-TDC (1965)
Bose L1 Compact
Roland Cube-ST
Fishman Loudbox Mini