Author Topic: Just had to smile...  (Read 1162 times)

sdnesmithcpa

Just had to smile...
« on: February 16, 2014, 11:28:29 AM »
I took my new 214ce DLX to my favorite luthier to have the nut lowered a bit yesterday, F chord was wearing my finger out.

This shop has high end Gibsons, Fenders and Martins but no Taylors.  Anyway, the kid I usually deal with is a musician so I have confidence in his opinion. When I opened the case he let out a long whistle and said the top was gorgeous, as its has dark grain streaks.  He didn't even realize it wasn't solid wood until I told him it was "only" a 200 series.

He confirmed the nut was a bit high and even though I have smaller fingers recommended I stay with lights and not go down to custom lights.  I reluctantly left her for a few days but know she's in good hands.

As I left he said thanks for bringing her in, it's always cool to see a nice quality instrument come in.  ;D

Shawn
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 11:31:06 AM by sdnesmithcpa »
Taylor 214ce DLX - "Rosie"
Seagull Entourage Rustic CW Q1 - "Scully"
Squier Custom Vibe Telecaster - "Bullwinkle"
Epiphone Les Paul Junior
Epiphone MB-200 Banjo - "Cletus"
Mitchell Concert Ukulele

MB

• Veteran Member
  • It's a journey...
Re: Just had to smile...
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 12:26:51 PM »
I think you will be very happy when you get her back...a good set up is like getting a new guitar.

stepchildusmc

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 05:40:24 PM »
but, the top is an all solid wood. once he figures that out, they may just up and move the store to another country so they can keep it..shoulda posted a guard !  ;D
Steppy
2008 NAMM Hot Rod(GA)
2013 spring ltd. 616 ce
2013 616 ce(honeyburst)
2011 Adamas 2080Sr
2014 324
2014 GS mini Hog
2013 GS mini Spruce
2014 GS mini Engelmann (HV)
only thing lacking is the talent !

sdnesmithcpa

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 05:54:26 PM »
Well it ain't much but it's all my skill level at this point can afford.

The kid is a Taylor fan, but being a small shop they don't carry them as apparently the buy in is too high.  I can't believe it's worse than for Martin or Gibson.

Shawn
Taylor 214ce DLX - "Rosie"
Seagull Entourage Rustic CW Q1 - "Scully"
Squier Custom Vibe Telecaster - "Bullwinkle"
Epiphone Les Paul Junior
Epiphone MB-200 Banjo - "Cletus"
Mitchell Concert Ukulele

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 10:19:14 PM »
if that shop has gibsons & martins, i'd expect that there's a very significant amount invested, especially
in gibson, in order to have the stocking minimum requirements met to maintain an authorized dealer status -
the $ on the 200DLXs are the same, or slightly higher, than the pure acoustic 300 series 6 strings models &
with that kind of coin put into the game, i wouldn't feel that descriptors such as "it's only" or "it ain't much"
as being necessary, because you have a very nice sounding, playing & looking guitar, imho, which has the same
neck construction & joint, fretboard & bridge & electronics as some models (13 PS) that cost nearly 6X as much :o

i am a bit surprised that there seems to be more "reports" of new Taylors needing nut slots recut, or saddles replaced &
shims removed, as i see very little reason or benefit, if any, to have relatively high action at the nut as being a factory "spec" :-\

hopefully your setup is being covered under warranty, as there is no reason, imho, why your guitar
shouldn't play as effortlessly as a model that has solid back & sides, seeing that the main difference
in construction is just a little bit of glue between 3 thinner layers of solid wood for the back & sides

other companies, such as alvarez & washburn, can consistently knock out a comfortably fast &
low set up, with models that are subjected to rougher conditions being built & shipped overseas -
they come with an extra saddle & shims, in case the action needs to be raised for a 'grasser or for ease of lowering on a CE,
but the action at the nut usually doesn't have to be tweaked either way, unless there is binding & a "ping" while being tuned up

i hope your wait is a short one & when your 214ceDLX is back & ready to rock, that it plays like buttah :D
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/