Author Topic: SET UP importance  (Read 8360 times)

MB

• Veteran Member
  • It's a journey...
SET UP importance
« on: January 22, 2014, 01:22:50 PM »
If you've ever had a NGD and were disappointed when your guitar arrived because it was hard to play...read on.
I recently got my new 514e FLTD from AMS online. I know Sweetwater does set ups before they ship your purchases but the one I wanted was on the AMS site. When it arrived, the action was very stiff and there were a few places on the fret board where there was an ugly zing sound when fretted. It was VERY COLD during its journey from the east coast to Minnesota so I expected it to be a bit out of sorts.  I made a few adjustments but I was unable to correct the problem on my own.

I called Taylor and discovered there was an authorized repair guy one block from where I work! I'd never heard of this shop and it was not listed on the Taylor site. The Taylor rep explained that they do not list ALL of the authorized repair shops on the Taylor site. So I took the 514 in and dropped it off last Thursday. The repair guy is Mike who owns and operates Rosewood Music in Duluth MN. He seemed like a nice enough fellow and I explained the problem. He picked it up and said "yeah this is very stiff".  He recommend a set up and said he would make a new tusq saddle that follows the arch of the neck. He also filed the nut slots and adjusted the truss rod.

After a LONG 5 days....this morning Mike called and said it was done. I was in awe at how much better it played and sounded! Incredible! I had forgotten what a huge difference a nice set up could make in the action and sound of an acoustic instrument! So if you are ever in this situation, I would highly recommend a set up by an authorized Taylor tech. I was so impressed that I am going to use the 514 on my gig Friday nite! I am also taking my 814 in to have him tweak it too! As a matter of fact, any of my guitars that need attention will be going to him. He told me he was in love with the 514 and that most of the Taylor guitars he sees are the 100-400 series and he was blown away by the quality of the 514e FLTD. I told him to step away from the guitar....!

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
Re: SET UP importance
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 03:02:05 PM »
Good story.  My custom GC needs a setup....................
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

TaylorGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • 7 Mountain Dulcimers!
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 03:26:12 PM »
Nice job Mike! I'm lucky that I have Elderly Instruments as my local store. They do set ups on all their instruments. I definitely understand the importance of a good set up (no matter the instrument). Glad you got yours taken care of. Your experience is a good one to share.
Susie
Taylors: 914 ○ K24ce ○ 414 ○ GSMeK+
Pono Guileles: Mango Baritone Deluxe ○ Mahogany Baritone

Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!

Lizzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 03:39:23 PM »
We have taken 3 of our guitars to a luthier in town for set ups. You are right...a good set up can make all the difference in the world. I was ready to trade in the Koa until it was worked on! Sometimes you can play a guitar forever in a store and it feels ok,  but you really don't know it well until you get it home.

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 04:25:31 PM »
... He recommend a set up and said he would make a new tusq saddle that follows the arch of the neck. He also filed the nut slots and adjusted the truss rod...
was the saddle replaced because the radius did not match the fretboard radius & did you notice any audible
difference in amplified tone, as the original saddle is listed as being micarta, rather than tusq, in the specs ?

i'm kind of surprised that the nut slots needed to have work done, as i thought there was a "standard spec"
used that's usually pretty good & from the description you gave of how the guitar played & sounded when you
received it , i would have figured that a neck reset might have been necessary in order to find the "sweet spot" -
glad that it's all good now & thanks for sharing :)
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

MB

• Veteran Member
  • It's a journey...
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 10:11:55 PM »
... He recommend a set up and said he would make a new tusq saddle that follows the arch of the neck. He also filed the nut slots and adjusted the truss rod...
was the saddle replaced because the radius did not match the fretboard radius & did you notice any audible
difference in amplified tone, as the original saddle is listed as being micarta, rather than tusq, in the specs ?

i'm kind of surprised that the nut slots needed to have work done, as i thought there was a "standard spec"
used that's usually pretty good & from the description you gave of how the guitar played & sounded when you
received it , i would have figured that a neck reset might have been necessary in order to find the "sweet spot" -
glad that it's all good now & thanks for sharing :)

I have not plugged it in yet so I'm not sure on the question of amplified tone.
It's funny you mentioned the possibility of a neck reset because that's exactly what I was thinking it would need.
I mentioned that to the tech and he said if it came to that he'd let me know but it was not necessary.
I too was surprised by the nut filing. I assumed that on an instrument of this caliber, they would have that down to a science.
Not so! I didn't realize it until he pointed out to me how high the strings were off the fret board at the nut. The ruler don't lie!
To be honest, I was thinking of getting rid of it! Now I'm so happy I didn't!!!
Here are before and after pics of the nut.

On the saddle, he said the bottom side did not follow the radius of the neck and that was another piece of the puzzle.
It always seems to be a combination of little things that add up to a great set up.
Thanks for the interest and the input Mike!

MB

• Veteran Member
  • It's a journey...
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 10:14:29 PM »
We have taken 3 of our guitars to a luthier in town for set ups. You are right...a good set up can make all the difference in the world. I was ready to trade in the Koa until it was worked on! Sometimes you can play a guitar forever in a store and it feels ok,  but you really don't know it well until you get it home.

Lizzy I know how you feel about almost getting rid of an awesome instrument just because the set up was off! I was actually thinking about just selling this one and getting a different one! I'm super happy I stuck with it cause I love everything else about the guitar and now it plays like butta!

MB

• Veteran Member
  • It's a journey...
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 10:33:19 PM »
Nice job Mike! I'm lucky that I have Elderly Instruments as my local store. They do set ups on all their instruments. I definitely understand the importance of a good set up (no matter the instrument). Glad you got yours taken care of. Your experience is a good one to share.

Yes you are very lucky to have a place like Elderly close by!
One of the reasons I resisted for several months is that I thought the closest authorized tech was in Mpls....a 2 1/2 hour drive.
I'm glad I called Taylor and found out there was one a block away from work! Who knew?!

MexicoMike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 08:31:48 AM »
I'm glad that an action adjustment enabled you to bring out the best in the guitar - I'd bet money that a lot of excellent-sounding guitars are sold by owners or go unpurchased in stores because they are felt to be "hard to play" when a simple action adjustment will turn the instrument from a sows ear to a silk purse.  :)

My experience has been that all guitars, regardless who makes them, require an action adjustment to suit the person playing them.  It's great that you have someone nearby that can do it.  But for those interested, it is not at all difficult to do yourself, including making new nuts/saddles if necessary.  (FWIW, I have to say that I have never had to RAISE an action) FRETS.Com has some excellent articles on the process as well as just about anything else you can do to a guitar...http://frets.com/FretsPages/pagelist.html#Musician

michaelw

• Veteran Member
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 10:05:55 AM »
It's funny you mentioned the possibility of a neck reset because that's exactly what I was thinking it would need.
I mentioned that to the tech and he said if it came to that he'd let me know but it was not necessary.
I too was surprised by the nut filing. I assumed that on an instrument of this caliber, they would have that down to a science.
Not so! I didn't realize it until he pointed out to me how high the strings were off the fret board at the nut. The ruler don't lie!

On the saddle, he said the bottom side did not follow the radius of the neck and that was another piece of the puzzle.
It always seems to be a combination of little things that add up to a great set up.
the bottom of the side of the saddle didn't match the radius of the fretboard radius ?
it's not going to, as the saddle slot in the bridge should be cut flat, unless i'm misinterpreting
what you're saying & the concern was on the edge of the saddle closest to the bridge pins

from what i've seen & read, the nut slots are cut so that half of the diameter
E, A & D are above the slot. with the G being flush & the B & e slightly below -
to me, the slots look rather deep & it looks like the nut
could have been removed & material taken off the bottom

thanks for posting the pics & i'm glad the guitar plays & sounds better :)

support indie musicians

MB

• Veteran Member
  • It's a journey...
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 11:25:53 AM »
I'm glad that an action adjustment enabled you to bring out the best in the guitar - I'd bet money that a lot of excellent-sounding guitars are sold by owners or go unpurchased in stores because they are felt to be "hard to play" when a simple action adjustment will turn the instrument from a sows ear to a silk purse.  :)

My experience has been that all guitars, regardless who makes them, require an action adjustment to suit the person playing them.  It's great that you have someone nearby that can do it.  But for those interested, it is not at all difficult to do yourself, including making new nuts/saddles if necessary.  (FWIW, I have to say that I have never had to RAISE an action) FRETS.Com has some excellent articles on the process as well as just about anything else you can do to a guitar...http://frets.com/FretsPages/pagelist.html#Musician

Hey Mexico!
As far as ME doing those things myself, I have done them on cheaper instruments to varying degrees of success. I just don't have the confidence to do these things to a Taylor. The real trick in my mind is figuring out what combination of Nut filing, Saddle sanding, truss rod adj, etc is what the action needs. I can look at an electric and seem to have an easier time of it, but on acoustics, I don't have the experience to look at it and know what to do. I'm just thrilled there is an authorized Taylor tech in town and he does nice work if I need it!

MB

• Veteran Member
  • It's a journey...
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2014, 11:30:07 AM »

the bottom of the side of the saddle didn't match the radius of the fretboard radius ?
it's not going to, as the saddle slot in the bridge should be cut flat, unless i'm misinterpreting
what you're saying & the concern was on the edge of the saddle closest to the bridge pins

from what i've seen & read, the nut slots are cut so that half of the diameter
E, A & D are above the slot. with the G being flush & the B & e slightly below -
to me, the slots look rather deep & it looks like the nut
could have been removed & material taken off the bottom

thanks for posting the pics & i'm glad the guitar plays & sounds better :)

You are so right....I meant to say the top of the saddle did not follow the radius.
I'm not sure if he removed the nut or not....but I will ask him.
I did plug it in this morning to test out the electronics and it worked like a charm. Crystal Clear!
After watching the video of Bob and Andy explaining the new ES2 on the Taylor site, I figured I better test it before my gig tomorrow!
The new system has the pickup behind the saddle, not underneath it. But all seemed fine. The gig will be telling.
Thanks

MexicoMike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2014, 11:58:35 AM »
"The real trick in my mind is figuring out what combination of Nut filing, Saddle sanding, truss rod adj, etc is what the action needs. "

True and it helps to do it a few times to get an idea of the most efficient approach.  I never…well ALMOST never…mess with the original nut and saddle I make new ones and work with them.  My method is to first adjust the truss rod if needed because that adjustment does not change with action height since the relief measurement is taken with the string fretted at the 1st fret and and the body fret so the nut/saddle height have nothing to do with relief.  Once that's ok I check/adjust/make a new nut because, again, its height is determined by the fretting the 3rd fret and checking the clearance at the 1st fret - the saddle height doesn't matter for that.  THEN the saddle height is adjusted.  This can take several fittings/sanding to come up with the ideal for your playing.  Changing string tension can affect all the adjustments as far as playability so if I set the guitar up for mediums, it may not be perfect for lights and visa versa.

The only special tools really needed are a set of nut files. 

If you do not molest the original nut/saddle, the very WORST thing that can happen is you say the heck with it and put them back in!  :)

holmesrt

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2014, 11:28:31 AM »
I have only been playing for about a year. (retired) Purchased a new GS Mini and was disappointed with the action as I have arthritis in my hands. Tried changing strings several times and adjusting the truss rod with no success. Finally took it in for a proper setup at Main Line Music in Ardmore PA and cant believe the difference. The guy names Rick who runs the place did a great job and now it plays like butter as my older hands need. The lesson I learned is that there is nothing like a proper setup done by someone who knows what they are doing.
Rick
Taylor 614ce
Taylor GS Mini
Seagull Entourage

michaelw

• Veteran Member
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2014, 01:02:26 PM »
I have only been playing for about a year. (retired) Purchased a new GS Mini and was disappointed with the action as I have arthritis in my hands. Tried changing strings several times and adjusting the truss rod with no success. Finally took it in for a proper setup at Main Line Music in Ardmore PA and cant believe the difference. The guy names Rick who runs the place did a great job and now it plays like butter as my older hands need. The lesson I learned is that there is nothing like a proper setup done by someone who knows what they are doing.
i'm glad that you were able to get your mini setup & dialed in 8)

i'm just curious if they had to file the nut slots, alter/change the saddle, or do a neck reset ???

support indie musicians