Author Topic: 12 String with solid low end  (Read 5511 times)

MB

• Veteran Member
  • It's a journey...
12 String with solid low end
« on: January 09, 2014, 10:53:48 AM »
I've read thru the posts here that include 12 strings but did not see any that addressed the low end.
I've been looking for a 12 string that doesn't sound like it's strung with 12 "B" strings.

Does anyone have a 12 string that has a decent low end? If so, what is it?

Thank you for your help!

MexicoMike

• Veteran Member
Re: 12 String with solid low end
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 11:45:32 AM »
I have had more 12's than I care to count none of them had what I'd call good bass.  My current one is a Taylor GS5 that has acceptable bass with the following changes:  Remove the octave E and A strings (6th and 5th string) completely, change the current E and A lights to E and A mediums.  This results in a 10 string with pretty good bass response but you can overdrive it with hard playing and the bass tends to fade in the mix.  At light/medium playing it sounds pretty darned good.  If you play plugged in, you can boost the guitar volume as necessary without having to play hard.

A Martin D12-28 that I tried when I bought the Taylor had more bass but I thought at the time that the Taylor's balance was better overall.  I'm not sure I'd feel the same way now if I had it to do over.  12 strings are tough when it comes to finding one that you could use for general performing as opposed to just using it for a couple of songs in a gig.  I don't like carrying multiple guitars so if I have a gig it's EITHER a 12 string gig or a 6 string gig.  But by removing the low octave strings, the two bass notes sound more like a 6 and the guitar becomes more generally useable IN MY OPINION. ;)

michaelw

• Veteran Member
  • with more frivolous trivia than most infomercials
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 06:45:36 PM »
i've played a 356ce that was the sweetest, most well-balanced Taylor 12'er i've tried -
no 12 b strings there, but it wasn't super extra heavy on the bottom end either

a fall 13 rosewood 456ceFLTD would probably do pretty well -
http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/456ce-fltd

or, if your budget can handle it, a BTO X56 with adirondack top, adi bracing & macassar ebony back & sides :o
it's not about what you play,
it's all about why you play ...

support indie musicians
https://www.patreon.com/sidecarjudy
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-jessica-malone-music-project#/

Jersey tuning

• Veteran Member
  • Quid Me Anxius Sum
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 08:24:45 PM »
Try a Breedlove 12.  Well balanced, easy to play all- around guitars. People love the tone of mine--sweet, crisp, rich.  And I'm playing a lower end sitka over hog laminate.  Will be performing with it tomorrow--  haven 't decided if I'm also bringing a 6.
CURRENTLY PLAYING

'30 Martin 2-17 solid Mahogany
'97 Tacoma PK-30 Sitka/koa
'99 Alhambra 11C classical cedar/EIR
'05 TAYLOR 614ce 
'07 Breedlove Atlas 12-string Sitka/Mahogany
'10 Froggy Bottom "C" Adi/Brazilian   
'11 TAYLOR BTO GC 12-fret sinker/EIR.  
'14 Alvarez Baritone Sitka/Mahogany
'18 Cordoba hybrid Flamenco Euro Spruce/Ziricote
'23 M. Colbert Baritone Alaskan Sitka/Black Limba multiscale with Manzer wedge

MB

• Veteran Member
  • It's a journey...
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 10:57:56 PM »
Thanks for the input guys...

Mexico - that sounds like a good idea, dropping the octave strings on the E and A strings. I'll have to try that.
The Martin is probably the real deal though now that I think about it. They tend to have a bigger low end than do Taylors in general.

Michaelw - I have been looking at that 456 LTD and thinking that might be the way to go too. Wish I could play one first! Nothing around here for dealers so I'd have to do the brown truck trial deal. They had a 355 at Music Go Round today from 2003 but the frets were all sticking out on the ends and it felt really nasty. The low end wasn't much so I dismissed that one.

michaelw

• Veteran Member
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 10:18:55 AM »
the lksm models were strung with mediums & tuned down to C#, which were the
jumbo body size, like the 355, but with mahogany back & sides, rather than sapele -
the bracing pattern on the lksm was a bit different, but the 355 can handle mediums at C#

support indie musicians

fmbstrummer

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 12:47:14 PM »
MB.  Do you have any interest in a T-5, 12 string?  I heard Marc Seals demo one at a road show a couple of years ago.  Certainly had a lot of flexibility

FMB

Edward

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 04:08:25 PM »
Well, my RT 12string is, frankly, amazing.  But barring that, I think the Jumbo and GS-sized Taylor 12s are very good, especially tuned a full step down (to D) strung with mediums.  Superb sound whose bass is fuller and balances the jangle very nicely, IMHO.

Edward

eljeffe58

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 08:30:57 PM »
I agree with Jersey.  Breedlove 12's pack a wallop.  I've had two.  One, a jumbo, and currently a concert size.  Both walnut back n sides. Both loud on the bass side. I think they are known for it.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 09:23:35 PM by eljeffe58 »
2013-Taylor 516ce (cedar burst/mahogany)

krugjr

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 10:38:19 PM »
I have only owned fenders, guilds, ovations and taylor 12 strings ....I have never experienced a 12er with better sound (lows -highs), better feel or better looks than my taylor 855ce, 2009.....I am starting to gather 6 strings now and I may decide to sell the 855ce....even discussed "trade numbers" with one dealer.......boy, that would be stupid! Good luck in your search...
Music.....the Universal Language!

Joseph

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2014, 02:37:51 AM »
Well... I know that the old 79 Guild F-512 that I have had the pleasure to own these last years has a ton of bottom end... but that is a given. I don't know which 12 string Ewan Dobson is playing here... but it has wonderful bottom end and he makes it sound awesome.. of course it does have a pickup in it....
http://youtu.be/g6aZydmmcws
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 03:15:17 AM by Joseph E »
Taylor 358e GO (2018)
Taylor 818e GO (2013 1st Edition)
Taylor GS7 Custom (2009)
Guild F-512 (1979)

MexicoMike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2014, 07:53:05 AM »
You can't compare instruments being played through a sound system with instruments that are not.  Unless you have the guitar in your hands to compare, you are totally at the mercy of the pickup/mic/amp/recording system being used.  Same with a recording - there is not going to be a bad sounding professional recording.  Professionals use every brand of guitar you can think of and, on the recordings, they all sound great. 

To qualify bass as "good for a 12 string" seems to be like saying "She's pretty smart for a Kardashian."  The bar is not particularly high.  :) 

michaelw

• Veteran Member
    • i agree with Fred
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2014, 01:51:22 PM »
You can't compare instruments being played through a sound system with instruments that are not.  Unless you have the guitar in your hands to compare, you are totally at the mercy of the pickup/mic/amp/recording system being used.  Same with a recording - there is not going to be a bad sounding professional recording.  Professionals use every brand of guitar you can think of and, on the recordings, they all sound great...
a blanket statement such as this is quite bold, imho -
i've heard professional recordings that did not sound "great" to me, which to my ear disqualifies "all"

as for the "comparison" -
for those that are recognizable & doing well financially, there's always going to be a "heckler" ...
but, who's to judge ???

ymmv

support indie musicians

MB

• Veteran Member
  • It's a journey...
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2014, 01:58:39 PM »
the lksm models were strung with mediums & tuned down to C#, which were the
jumbo body size, like the 355, but with mahogany back & sides, rather than sapele -
the bracing pattern on the lksm was a bit different, but the 355 can handle mediums at C#

I'm not familiar with "lksm". What is that?

MB

• Veteran Member
  • It's a journey...
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2014, 02:02:24 PM »
MB.  Do you have any interest in a T-5, 12 string?  I heard Marc Seals demo one at a road show a couple of years ago.  Certainly had a lot of flexibility

FMB

I'm looking for an acoustic 12. If I went for a T5 it would be a 6 string. Thanks for the thought!